Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

First elk hunt experience!!

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

First elk hunt experience!!

Postby Sticknstringer » 09 10, 2017 •  [Post 1]

It was hot, way too hot. We went four days before we saw an elk at 2 miles. We glassed alot of country and moved locations trying to find elk. Sign was mostly old with a few fresh tracks. By day 5 we got into elk sign that was fresh but from night activity. Everyday kept getting better. On the last day we spotted a young bull a mile away and watched him bed. 2 miles out and around we were finally getting close to him with a decent wind. Setup across from each other 20 yards and started calling. Within 6 minutes he was inside 25 yards which I never saw him coming. The bull spooked a bit I'm guessing from wind so I drew my bow. I couldn't see him but I heard where he was. He stepped out at 17 yards only revealing his neck and partial shoulder. He winded me and saw me move my bow up 6 inches. He was gone with no shot opportunity. Overall the hunt ended up successful. I still wish we would have setup with calling from back behind 70 yards. It would have given us a better chance. I'm already looking where to go next year :)
Sticknstringer

Re: First elk hunt experience!!

Postby Lefty » 09 10, 2017 •  [Post 2]

Sometimes you never know what is going to happen on a hunt. Some days it's all elk. Some hunts end up being a hike on the mountains.
Close encounters are always a nice addition.
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Re: First elk hunt experience!!

Postby Lefty » 09 10, 2017 •  [Post 3]

Sometimes you never know what is going to happen on a hunt. Some days it's all elk. Some hunts end up being a hike on the mountains.
Close encounters are always a nice addition.
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H