Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Elk in rain advice needed

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Elk in rain advice needed

Postby Sask hunter » 09 16, 2017 •  [Post 1]

Weatherman is calling for .5" rain first day i am hunting and showers for the three after that at least. Are the elk still active and calling or are they like me and wanting to be in cover and out of the rain? Any advice you can offer?
Sask hunter

Re: Elk in rain advice needed

Postby Elkhunttoo » 09 16, 2017 •  [Post 2]

I have had some great days in the rain with elk extremely active. I don't mind the rain but not a fan of lightning storms
Elkhunttoo

Postby redtop » 09 16, 2017 •  [Post 3]

They'll be out and about as normal or maybe even out later or earlier. Most hunters will not so it's a good time to hunt.
redtop
Site Sponsor

First Name: norm
Last Name: larson

Postby Indian Summer » 09 17, 2017 •  [Post 4]

Once the rain stops the elk poop will hit the fan!
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby brettb34 » 09 18, 2017 •  [Post 5]

I think it all varies! I've seen them bed down early and Come out afterwards , seen them spend all day in the rain! Last year we put a heard of 60 to bed In The oak brush for the afternoon and a massive lightning rain and torrential hailstorm rolled in! After 30 minutes of relentless pounding I ventured out of the oak to check out sky to make a plan to head back to camp! And all the elk were feeding 100 yards in a sage field on side of the mountain with lightning and hail crashing all around them! ! Also when a storm dropped a foot of snow over night and still dumping we still managed to get into elk!

I like many others wait all year for archery elk. So come the season I'm hunting And hunt all day regardless of weather! And because I hunt that way I've witnessed how much the elk dont stick to a pattern that so many preach! " hunt early morning or late into evening or after heavy weather not during heat of the day. Blah blah blah" the more time you spend actohunting the more you learn and the more elk encounters you will have! Also keep in mind that once the rut actually kicks in t those bulls go 24/7 in my experience any way!
brettb34

Postby saddlesore » 09 19, 2017 •  [Post 6]

I'm a fair weather hunter. I have killed enough elk and as of this year and a few previous years, I don't know of any elk worth hunting in a downpour.Drizzels maybe. I just got back from a 9 day ML season . In the field 12 days.Rained out two days. This elk hunting is suppose to be fun. I worked on that aspect a little bit more this year. I don't hunt mid day unless a stupid elk comes past me while I am napping in a shady meadow. No elk, but a great time. I have a 2nd, 9 day season coming up in 4 weeks.I do like to get out immediately after a rain or snow storm though.
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Roosiebull » 09 19, 2017 •  [Post 7]

I personally don't like bow hunting in rain, unless very light rain. we rely on blood trailing most of the time (in a perfect world we see or at least hear them tip) if it's pouring rain, I feel like I shouldn't be trying to arrow an elk.

I love rain during rifle season, I have never hunted elk with a gun, but any day i'm not working during rifle season, i'm out with somebody. it is fun that time of the year, totally different style and set of rules, the competitive nature of the coastal chaos called rifle elk season, rain is just one of those text book parts of the hunt....it's rare to have a dry day during that season.

as far as their habits, they seem about as random as ever in the rain, I have not seen any patterned traits they have in the rain besides lack of bugling (it's still not a constant, but general rule is they are quiet) they can really light up in those heavy drizzles in the afternoon when the heavy wet fog from a high pressure happens...but southerly low pressure weather shuts them right up, almost always.
Roosiebull

Postby Swede » 10 03, 2017 •  [Post 8]

Here are some generalities I have observed. Elk seem to be more active right before a storm. They may be out feeding early. A light rain doesn't seem to bother them. After several days of rain I have found them standing around under heavy timber. After the storm they soon move out to feed. I find them to be quiet during rainy periods. RJ told me he found them to be vocal in the rain, but that has not been my observation.
I have suspected the game commission goes out and gathers almost all of the elk into barns before a significant storm. They don't want their elk getting too wet. Elk seem to be harder to find, but if you find some the commission has missed, they are easier to sneak in on as the woods are quiet and the elk can't hear as well in a heavy rain. Maybe the game commission just hides them during the rain as the elk don't seem to move much.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics