Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Elk advice needed

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Elk advice needed

Postby Sask hunter » 09 21, 2017 •  [Post 1]

Alright the elk are not talking and very scattered. Normally there is private fields of standing oats along the forest that the elk come out and eat every night. Now I never have permission for the private stuff but I unsuccessfully try to get them in the forest no uc in the past but into elk at least. This year most of crop is down and they very scattered. Perfect cool calm mornings for calling but haven't heard a bugle yet. I think they are living in the bush and eating grass backin there.

Anyways any advice to get extra silent bulls to bugle. I was even out trying to locate them a hour before light this morning
Sask hunter

Elk advice needed

Postby sasquatch » 09 21, 2017 •  [Post 2]

Rest up in the evening, get out the next morning and start running and gunning ridges at 2-3am, bugling every 1/8 of a mile. Once found slowly sneak in close, get within 500yds or so of em and wait for light. Kill them right after shooting time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Blake
sasquatch

Re: Elk advice needed

Postby >>>---WW----> » 09 22, 2017 •  [Post 3]

I see you posted this question on September 21st. There is a very good chance you may need to hunt a different area. The 21st should be prime rut time. If you aren't hearing anything, even early AM or during the night, chances are the elk are gone and you need to re-locate them.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Kellum » 09 22, 2017 •  [Post 4]

sasquatch wrote:Rest up in the evening, get out the next morning and start running and gunning ridges at 2-3am, bugling every 1/8 of a mile. Once found slowly sneak in close, get within 500yds or so of em and wait for light. Kill them right after shooting time!

This! ^^^

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kellum

Postby Sask hunter » 09 24, 2017 •  [Post 5]

I did what was suggested and first thing located a bull. Listened to him for awhile screaming his head off but unfortunately half hour before shooting light he went from public to private. I didn't try and ambush him that evening because there was zero wind and what there was was swirly. Figured I would wait till this morning and try him again. Well I made the wrong call cause nothing bugling around the standing oats where he was located yesterday morning. Idk of he got pushed there was a few other trucks hunt they same quarter section. Oh well lesson learnt. Unfortunately that was the last day of my elk season.

Already planning for next year. Public land OTC rifle season in the rut with crazy thick bush makes for tough hunting.
Sask hunter