Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Nervous Bark Strategy

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Nervous Bark Strategy

Postby cohunter » 09 21, 2017 •  [Post 1]

There's one small 5x5 in my area that is a particularly egregious offender, but lots of other elk do it too... maybe as a result of the super dry conditions (didn't have this problem as badly after a rain) maybe from unusually high hunting pressure (everybody's in my spots this year!). But here's the scenario: after a call or walking through the dry brush noisily, you're stopped in your tracks by a nervous grunt. But not one that's just in your hip-pocket. These elk are giving a nervous grunt from 200 yards. I tried responding with a cow call... they'd just keep grunting. It was evening, and I decided to just go after this elk with calls staying out of sight. I was able to close the distance to around 50 yards before getting a glimpse and realizing it was a small 5x5. I kept after him with the wind in my favor and was able to close within 30 yards a few times, but he'd nervously hang around grunting just outside my comfortable range on a nervous animal. Fast forward a week. Same bull barks - this time from around 250. I decide I'm not playing the same game so as silently as possible just try to move quickly through the area to where I'd heard a bugle. I walk 1/2 a MILE with that bull barking on my heels. Needless to say, the elk in the area weren't real into hanging out.

Short of a decoy (which I'm not convinced would work, but might be worth a try) what do you guys do when a stubborn elk refuses to just bug off and let bygones by bygones?
cohunter

Re: Nervous Bark Strategy

Postby olympushunt » 09 21, 2017 •  [Post 2]

Hey....I was wondering how your hunting was going. Good to hear you are getting some action. I am not the pro on this one for sure. Great question. They decoy as you suggested might be the worth a shot. It would be educational either way.
olympushunt

Postby Charina » 09 22, 2017 •  [Post 3]

Show yourself and go straight at him. Run him over the next ridge. Better that one elk is blown, than a whole hillside set on high alert.
Charina

Postby saddlesore » 09 22, 2017 •  [Post 4]

With only few days left in the season ,what is wrong with taking a small 5x ? Stick him
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby cohunter » 09 22, 2017 •  [Post 5]

Saddlesore, I'd be more than happy with a small 5x5 at this point! He was just super-antsy. He would hang out but only show me his rear or a steep quartering angle. Charina, I think you may be onto something. I was just shocked that they were barking from so far away. In the past I've only had them do that when they should have been able to see an elk but couldn't. 4-5 times this season I've had them start barking when there was no reasonable expectation to see me (or the elk they thought they should see). Just the sound of me walking through the really dry ferns or a mis-step onto a stick or a cow call or location bugle... I hate that bark! :cry:
cohunter

Postby ElkNut1 » 09 22, 2017 •  [Post 6]

You've explained the reasons for the 5x5's suspicions! You & others no doubt have come across him multiple times calling & not calling, he hears you & most likely knows where the other elk are in the area so suspicion is raised when he sees parts of you or hears you moving around & coming his way. He wants to know what & who you are. You did great getting into bow range several times so that's a plus! (grin) If you don't feel confident in your abilities to get close enough to get another shot then bugle him out of your way. Start at about 400 yards or whatever distance you know he can hear you bugle but not your noisy walking approach. Walk his direction & bugle again in 75 yards, you will notice he will start pushing away keeping his distance. Keep bugling on your way towards him & he will move off. If he comes towards you that's a bonus but don't expect it, 95% sure he will allow you the corridor you need to get past him to the other elk without spooking the other elk! I've done this many times with pesky rags & cows in my way, bugle your way to them without them seeing or winding you & off they move.

If you allow this 5x5 or any elk to see you in an effort to move them off they can leave with ears pinned back & neck & head held stiffly up. This is as bad as an elk barking & running, these types of mannerisms can take other elk out of the area pronto, I'd shy away from that move. Bugling your way in works well & usually the unwanted leave allowing you to work your magic on the target elk!

ElkNut/Paul
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Trumkin the Dwarf » 09 22, 2017 •  [Post 7]

Paul, that is pure gold, from an advice standpoint! I'd never think to act like a big bull to bump troublesome elk out of the way.
Trumkin the Dwarf

First Name: Malachi
Last Name: C

Postby Kentrek » 09 22, 2017 •  [Post 8]

I really like elk nuts idea.....but something I've done in the past was bark back.... hunting the thick stuff i usually get barked at when they've caught my wind....i then proceed to bark as Well and do my best to get the wind better...and break a few sticks along the way..they know there's trouble in the area but they don't have to know that your the trouble ! I can remember getting into a "barking match" with a mystery elk once....i think me and it went back and fourth barking for 15-20 minutes lol no idea what I was saying but it was funny
Kentrek

Postby cohunter » 09 26, 2017 •  [Post 9]

Paul... that's exactly the kind of answer I was looking for! I knew there had to be something better than chasing right at him and sending him crashing through the herd. A satellite bull running away from you is running toward??? Well, it's still a gamble at any rate. The bugles would be perfect in this scenario. Maybe next year! ;)
cohunter

Postby Charina » 09 27, 2017 •  [Post 10]

I don't doubt the proper strategy depends on the specific circumstances. And a satellite bull or a cow that are around a herd being hunted most certainly can put every elk in the group on edge and moving on to safer pastures. But I've also learned that a barking match can do the very same thing. I have had pretty good luck running off an offender who either hasn't barked yet, or only barked once, so long as I think I can push him away from other elk. It works with cows, bachelor bulls, and even once with a herd bull this year. I don't hunt CO, and the pressure there may make them act differently, so ymmv. But most elk that I've had see me clearly decide to move far away rather than bark. Some still bark, but not as many as just move to create great distance.
Charina

Postby ishy » 10 01, 2017 •  [Post 11]

One thing I've done is bark back but add grunts after. It seems to take the nervousness out of the situation and elk will eventually walk off. I have had bulls even imitate me after calling like this. Last years bull heard twenty minutes of me and a cow calling back and forth with barks from her and barks with chuckles from me. The bull was about a quarter mile away and came right in after hearing all the back and forth with the cow after I closed the distance on him.
ishy

First Name: Bryan
Last Name: L

Postby Swede » 10 01, 2017 •  [Post 12]

I was sitting in my tree stand early in the Idaho season. In the heavy cover nearby, I had a bull bark about 75 times over a five hour period. I silently sat and waited, hoping he would come into the opening I was watching, but he never did. I had no confidence that I could come down and shoot him in the very heavy cover he stayed in. I had both cow calls and a bugle, but determined to stay quiet and wait. Would a chuckle have brought him in after an hour or two of waiting?
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics