Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Brown down! Brown down!!!

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Brown down! Brown down!!!

Postby olympushunt » 09 26, 2017 •  [Post 1]

I just got a 30 second garbled voicemail that team MOD has scored. At least that is what it sounded like lol. Sounds like Swede killed a spike! Hooray!
olympushunt

Re: Brown down! Brown down!!!

Postby Elkhunttoo » 09 26, 2017 •  [Post 2]

Nice! Congrats to the crew!
Elkhunttoo

Postby Roosiebull » 09 27, 2017 •  [Post 3]

His ears musta been burnin' :D

That is excellent news!!!
Roosiebull

Postby lamrith » 09 27, 2017 •  [Post 4]

olympushunt wrote:I just got a 30 second garbled voicemail that team MOD has scored. At least that is what it sounded like lol. Sounds like Swede killed a spike! Hooray!

Ohh thank goodness finally. It had been a ROUGH season so far when I pulled out of camp on the 20th. Elk were not in any of the usual locations and Our stalwart Admin was diving some deep and nasty rabbit holes to try and flush them out. I shot my bear because it was the only thing moving and I had a tag burning in my pocket!
'15 Elite E35. 30.5", 67#
100Gr. G5 montecs
Sportsman's Vital Impact 300spine

http://www.pelletpeddler.com
lamrith

First Name: Larry

Postby olympushunt » 09 27, 2017 •  [Post 5]

Roosiebull wrote:His ears musta been burnin' :D

Lol...ya literally hours after I let you and Stringunner know it was still quiet. This has happened to me several times this year.....I say something and boom....the opposite happens. Let's try this again...."I SAID I NEVER HAVE KILLED A 350+ inch bull in my life!"
Waiting..... :lol:
olympushunt

Postby Elkhunttoo » 09 27, 2017 •  [Post 6]

olympushunt wrote:
Roosiebull wrote:His ears musta been burnin' :D

Lol...ya literally hours after I let you and Stringunner know it was still quiet. This has happened to me several times this year.....I say something and boom....the opposite happens. Let's try this again...."I SAID I NEVER HAVE KILLED A 350+ inch bull in my life!"
Waiting..... :lol:

:lol: worth the try :lol:
Elkhunttoo

Postby ElkNut1 » 09 30, 2017 •  [Post 7]

Congrats swede!

ElkNut/Paul
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Swede » 09 30, 2017 •  [Post 8]

I am rested this morning and getting back into the routine of home life again. Can you believe I was gone 40 days? It seems impossible it was that long. I shot at an elk early in the season and hit low. After that is was a very long dry spell. I found out after going to Idaho that my peep sight was low, and am convinced contributed to the miss. It probably was pulled down when I pulled the bow up the tree on a drop line. Bummer!
The hunt(s) were no bummer at all. In fact they were great. I learned some valuable things to be shared here through the off season. I shared camp with some excellent company. A special thanks to RJ, Larry and Joe for inviting me into their camp and so graciously sharing everything.
I said after a scouting trip out with RJ, that I estimated he could not cook since he would eat freeze dried meals in camp. Actually RJ is a pretty decent cook. Joe is not a bad had in the kitchen either, but RJ has a few habits that seem quaint to me. He stirs the water he will use for his instant coffee. Apparently his mom told him to stir food in a heated pot so it does not stick to the inside. RJ applies that principle to heated water. Better safe than sorry. ;)
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby lamrith » 09 30, 2017 •  [Post 9]

We (ok well I!) need details Swede!! I want to hear the where and how!

WOW, he was still in velvet this late!
100Gr. G5 montecs

lamrith

Postby Swede » 09 30, 2017 •  [Post 10]

September 26th, I arrived about 6:50 AM, at my stand. It was located along the edge of a huge brush field, about a mile out an overgrown old road, that forked from the main one just above camp. The stand was set up after Lamrith had left for home. The new spot sure seemed more promising. Everyday for three days, I heard elk in the nearby brush or forest close by. At about 8:00 on this morning, I heard a short one note bugle above me, but below the main road. That assured me the elk were really near. The bugle sounded familiar.
The morning was significantly warmer than the previous ones had been for over a week. Waiting was pleasant. At about 9:50, a vehicle I figured to be a pickup, stopped on the main road above. Right away I heard pounding steel. What is going on I thought? After about ten minutes of pounding, I heard the faint sound of the elk. This time it was cows. They were moving away from the pounding and toward me and the brush field.
The stand where I sat was selected because several trails came together there. As the snapping of brush started sounding closer and closer, I stood and took the bow off the hanger. I attached my release to the string loop. Suddenly I saw movement. I was sure it was an elk but was it a bull or a cow? I had no idea at first, but as it progressed, I saw the antlers. It was my first sighting of an Idaho bull since I had arrived three weeks earlier. "Dang he has stopped", I thought. At 25 yards away, he needed to come about ten feet closer to clear the brush. Finally he moved, but he was quartering too strong toward me. I stood and waited as he stopped again. Something seemed to bother him, and he looked back. As he turned back, ever so slightly, he provided a lethal shot opportunity.
My arrow was on the way in no time. I was concerned that he might run, so I decided not to wait for any better angle. "This was good enough" I thought. The arrow went in just behind the front leg and exited out the offside ham.
I knew the shot was lethal, but waited for over a half hour before following up on the bull. I looked around for about fifteen minutes searching for my arrow. I found it covered with blood about 40 yards out the direction the bull had gone. At the same time I was looking for my arrow, I was searching for the blood trail and keeping an eye out for the bull. As I drew near some heavy brush, I saw him. He was still alive! I saw him slowly get up and walk away a few yards and fade away into the heavy vegetation. He was slow and there was no running left in him. I was comfortable with the situation as there also was a large pool of blood where he had bedded. I decided to mark the location on my GPS and back out for awhile.
I went back to camp, did some chores and had lunch to pass the time away. The wait was agonizing, but I knew patience was prudent. "Don't get in a hurry and push him", I thought. Finally it was 1:00 PM and I took the bloody arrow from my quiver and stood it in the doorway of the cook tent and hung a two way radio on the flap. "That is enough of a note", I thought to myself and turned away with a half smile. "RJ and Joe will understand."
I was back where I had left the bull's trail at 2:00PM. Somehow doubt started to flood my thoughts. Could he get up and move far enough to elude me? Where is he? I looked around to see just anything that would betray his final resting place. "Dang that brush." I could only see a few feet in any direction. "This is not like the places I am familiar with at all. They need a good fire in here to clean this mess up". I moved a little down hill but he was not there and the blood trail was suddenly gone. I went back and angled up a little. Immediately, there he was! THANK YOU LORD, I exclaimed out loud. "Thank you Lord." My exceptionally long season was over.
Note: I could have put the rack of antlers in a decent trout fishing creel, but I was as happy as if I had just taken a 350 class monster. Thank You Lord.
Swede

Postby Roosiebull » 09 30, 2017 •  [Post 11]

Totally awesome swede!! Well done man!
Roosiebull

Postby ORelksniper » 10 01, 2017 •  [Post 12]

Congratulations, Swede. Nicely done.
ORelksniper

Postby Elkhunttoo » 10 01, 2017 •  [Post 13]

We grow um big here in Idaho don't we :D . Not quite the avatar bull but close enough, congrats!!!!
Elkhunttoo

Postby Grousewit » 10 01, 2017 •  [Post 14]

Good hunt Swede. Thanks for sharing.
62 yr old Hunter/Trapper/Shooter
Grousewit

Postby Swede » 10 01, 2017 •  [Post 15]

Elkhunttoo wrote:We grow um big here in Idaho don't we

You Idaho hunters were really holding out on me. There are some bigger bulls in the area, but I could not get them in my sights. I was interested in a new challenge, and Idaho gave me all I could deal with. :D
Swede

Postby lamrith » 10 02, 2017 •  [Post 16]

Thanks for the update and write-up Swede!!

Very very glad you knocked one down!
100Gr. G5 montecs

lamrith

Postby Deanmac » 10 02, 2017 •  [Post 17]

congrats, I enjoyed your post
Deanmac

Postby Elkhunttoo » 10 02, 2017 •  [Post 18]

Maybe to early for you to know, but will Idaho have Swede in a tree stand again next year?
Elkhunttoo

Postby Swede » 10 02, 2017 •  [Post 19]

Elkhunt: It is highly unlikely. I enjoyed my time in Idaho, but next year is doubtful. Maybe I will return another season to somewhere new. September 2018 year is my 50th anniversary, right in the middle of archery hunt. I know it was poor planning on my part, but 50 years ago I was strictly a gun hunter. That is my excuse and am sticking to it.
Does Idaho have any places where the elk hunting is fairly good and you won't be drinking out of your radiator if you are driving up one of their hills? Is there a good hunting location where you could see for 100+ yards without climbing a tree to look over the brush?
Swede

Postby BrentLaBere » 10 04, 2017 •  [Post 20]

Glad you were able to connect on your trip to Idaho. And those bloods trails can play with your emotions. I know it all too well. Sounds like you made the right move to back out and let him expire.
BrentLaBere

First Name: Brent
Last Name: LaBere

Postby Elkhunttoo » 10 04, 2017 •  [Post 21]

The place I used to hunt was awesome for elevation, a person could hike a long ways in a hurry. Not lots of brush but lots of timber but most was manageable. Big down side was grizzly bears and now it is 3 times further away from where I'm hunting now. Must of where I'm hunting now is super steep and the unit is crazy, half of the unit is really brushy and the Luther half has very manageable timber but still steep. I do think there are less elk in the new area and I don't think it is close unfortunately
Elkhunttoo