Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Hunting Saddles

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Hunting Saddles

Postby Bolt » 09 27, 2017 •  [Post 1]

How do others hunt saddles during rifle season? There are several good saddles in the area where I will be hunting in a few weeks, really the best way for the elk to move down the large dividing ridge I will be hunting, I wanted to see what others thought about strategy and success?
Bolt

Re: Hunting Saddles

Postby Elkhunttoo » 09 27, 2017 •  [Post 2]

We will sit saddles where hunting pressure will be moving animals through them. Make sure you are there early morning and have routes to where you aren't the one pushing the game through them in the dark. Not all saddles are equal, some are used super hard and some saddles that may look good on maps might get very little activity depending on the habitat around them. Good luck
Elkhunttoo

Postby Lefty » 09 27, 2017 •  [Post 3]

Elkhunttoo wrote:We will sit saddles where hunting pressure will be moving animals through them. Make sure you are there early morning and have routes to where you aren't the one pushing the game through them in the dark. Not all saddles are equal, some are used super hard and some saddles that may look good on maps might get very little activity depending on the habitat around them. Good luck

The short and sweet of hunting saddles.
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Indian Summer » 09 29, 2017 •  [Post 4]

The value of a saddle depends on how steep the spine of the ridge is. Elk aren't couch potatoes always looking for the easiest route to the refrigerator. I've seen elk cross over on the highest humps of a ridge if the terrain isn't extreme. There's usually grass on those humps!

Of course there will always be trails leading to those low spots though. Lots of times game mainly crosses there at night. I've had tree stands along some really nice well beaten trails on the edge of a few saddles and never did see elk from them. I still sit them occasionally at first light. But they are just a starting point. What interests me is which way the saddle trails go. How much elevation they give up before they come to a bench in the slope. That's what I consider the elk zone and where I prefer to spend my time hunting.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro