Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

MT 2017

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

MT 2017

Postby Cbb » 10 01, 2017 •  [Post 1]

Well, I am back home from my first Montana hunt. I am hooked! Already making plans for 2018!

Day one we went to a point near a tree stand my uncle hunts. We could smell a bull near the stand. As we glassed we saw a herd that Had a good bull in it about 300 yards down in the valley. Swirling winds and it being the first day kept us from chasing him and trying to get closer.

We went for a drive to give me some ideas on where to hunt during the trip and saw another herd with a raghorn run across the road. They were running pretty hard.

We hunted the area where the first but was for another day with no luck. He woulnt talk to us. I spent some time on a small private patch in a tree stand and headed to the Cabin near Beaverhead NF. Day one there was slow for elk but I did see a lot of Mule deer does.

Day 2 I found a herd in a deadfall area with a bull in it. I set up to call, bu t should have took off my pack and stalked in closer.

Friday morning I went back to the same spot but no elk. More Muley doe but no shot. Friday evening I bugled as I was near the edge of a ridge and a pine thicket. Only a few minutes later here comes an Elk! It walked through 2 openings while I made sure it wasn't a spike. Once I determined it was a cow I drew and took a shot. All I heard was the arrow hit trees. She took off but I hit her with some chirps and mews andnshe circled back in, trying to get downwind. She never gave me another opportunity but I played with her for about 5 minutes before she got mybwind and took off.
I should have let her keep coming In! I shot her for 45 and later paced it off at 48 but there was just too much stuff between her and I.

I never saw another elk for 2 days, in did see deer but no shots were taken. The time away from work was excellent! The west and the views were everything I dreamed it would be!

I had my wife fly out and ended the hunt a little early and we toured the west a bit as an early bday and anniversary gift to her. We spent alot of time in Yellowstone and the Black Hills.

Good luck to all you guys still hunting! Congrats to all who have got their elk!
Cbb

Re: MT 2017

Postby Indian Summer » 10 01, 2017 •  [Post 2]

I like a positive thinker. Sounds like you enjoyed just beout west. I've been spending lots of time out there for over half my life and although the plan is always to bring home an elk I still thrive on just being in those mountains. I leave in 2 weeks and I'm starting to get excited. It never gets old. Thanks for sharing your story!
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Swede » 10 02, 2017 •  [Post 3]

Elk Hunting is addictive alright. Now you have eleven months to think about your experiences and plan on changes for your next encounter. The challenge is always there. Best wishes on your next Montana elk encounter.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Deanmac » 10 03, 2017 •  [Post 4]

Enjoyed your post, glad the wife got to enjoy some sight seeing.

I head west to Colorado on Sunday, been working on my packing this week.
Deanmac

Postby Cbb » 10 04, 2017 •  [Post 5]

2018, will be much better with a good idea where to start and what to expect. I will also have more time to hunt next year!

I found some areas littlerally plastered with rubs. Old rubs, new rubs, big rubs small rubs. Most of that sign was likely made at the summertime bedding area. However that area bordered the deadfall where I saw one of the bulls and some cows that I attempted to call in.

Would this be a better early season spot?
Cbb