Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Trying to get back in the game! New knees!!

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Trying to get back in the game! New knees!!

Postby Mike Bolin » 10 01, 2017 •  [Post 1]

I've only hunted elk one time in Colorado in 2013 and I didn't have the best experience. Loved the country but I had a lot of trouble with my knees. Knowing going in that my knees were getting bad, to prep for that hunt I rode a recumbent bike daily and hiked with my pack, adding weight as I progressed and I was in pretty good shape. I had no trouble climbing, but descending was torture! When I got back to Indiana I met with my doctor and he sent me to a knee surgeon. He told me that I needed both knees replaced. I was 58 at the time and was wanting to wait until I retired at 62 to get them replaced, so I started getting a shot in each knee every 3 months. As time progressed the shots helped less and in June of 2016 I started having spasms in my lower back brought on from me using my back to compensate for my stiff knees. SO I retired July of 2016 and had my knees replaced on November 28. My surgeon had me work out for 2 months to try to get some flexibility in my knees and some of the strength in my back before he would schedule a double replacement and it worked because the new knees are working great and my surgeon told me to go elk hunting...be careful, but go elk hunting!

I am trying to put a hunt together for 2018 for me and 3 friends. I am looking at Utah as a possibility as well as the area in Colorado that I hunted in 2013. Idaho would be great too, but everything I read about Idaho seems to have the words "blowdowns and steep" in it. I am working out daily and the legs/knees are in better shape now that they were 15 years ago, but I do have 2 artificial knees and I will be almost 63 by then so I have to realistic. We are to hoping to truck camp and hike out daily to hunt as I don't want to overdo it. Time is really not a factor as 3 of the 4 of us are retired and the 4th guy has quite a bit of vacation time built up. 4 bulls would be great, but we would be content with a chance at any elk. Just being able to hunt elk again and to do it without the pain and to spend time with 3 good friends in the mountains is kind of a dream come true for me. All 4 of us shoot traditional bows and we know the limitations of our equipment. I would never ask for anyone to share their honey hole or secret spot, but if anyone has any suggestions as to a particular state/unit that my be doable for me I am more than willing to listen!
Mike Bolin

First Name: Mike
Last Name: Bolin

Re: Trying to get back in the game! New knees!!

Postby Charina » 10 02, 2017 •  [Post 2]

Good luck with those enhancements. Hope they work out well for you and elk hunting.

Not sure I'd suggest UT, being a resident myself. Its certainly doable, but the season dates are not very friendly to archers. Much of the best habitat for elk is managed for limited entry rifle hunting during the peak of the rut. The OTC Any Bull areas are rugged and difficult (low success rates) and will close on 9/14 next year. The OTC Spike-Only areas (a better option if you are open to taking a cow - it's any sex (no branch-antlered bulls) for archers - a better option IMO because of higher elk populations/densities) will close on 9/7. I'll hunt the opening week of archery in UT next year to take a cow and/or spike, but seriously contemplating planning a hunt in ID or WY in September.
Charina

Postby Swede » 10 02, 2017 •  [Post 3]

Mike, don't let the terrain, blow-down or vegetation turn you away from Idaho. I kid about it, but Idaho is doable for both of us. There are a lot of good areas to hunt and you don't have to be a marathoner to get elk. I got a spike there this season, but a herd bull was close by. I just did not want to pass on the bird in the hand. I was tree stand hunting, which is a great option for many. Some like it for afternoons, but I go there early for the whole day.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Indian Summer » 10 03, 2017 •  [Post 4]

As an outfitter my job daily was to have game plans that were doable for my individual clients. You can't send everyone out with the same type of plan due to physical limitations. As a consultant who sells diy hunt plans my job is the same. Set clients up with hunt plans in the type of area they prefer, camping at the truck or packed in, and hunting within their means. Check out my website and if you think you might be interested shoot me an email with any questions. Good luck!
Joe Ferraro
www.headinwest.net
Wapiti Talk Sponsor
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Mike Bolin » 10 03, 2017 •  [Post 5]

Thanks for the feedback thus far. Joe-email coming your way!
Mike Bolin

First Name: Mike
Last Name: Bolin

Postby Lefty » 10 05, 2017 •  [Post 6]

Im 59.My hip was replace 4 years ago. Before that I hunted the desert flats.
Dont do more than the doc or therapist say you should do. Just hunt to your ability.
My father in law went on a sheep hunt at 79 ( and got his sheep).At 83 he used trekking pole to hunt with my daughter . Last year at 87 year he went on a Utah Elk.
I dont know your situation , but you might apply for a disabled permit.
Now 88 my wife is taking her dad and hunting off an ATV next week on the deer opener.
Just do what you can, and remember the reasons why you are on that hunt.
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H