Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Big Stick Hunters...........

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Big Stick Hunters...........

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 10 07, 2017 •  [Post 1]

I saw em rolling in on the day I left my elk camp in the spud state to set up their camps a week in advance. I'm guessing the big stick hunters are finalizing their preparations and are getting ready to take their hard earned time off from work to head to elk camp 2017. Rifles are zeroed (.308, 30.06, 7.MM, 300 WIN MAG, .338. etc.). Elk camp is tucked away in the backs of trucks, trailers, SUV's etc., and the last days of work are dragging on as one gets closer to the zero dark thirty departure to the elk woods! Are you big stick hunters ready to head out? I wish all of you the best of luck and a safe journey to your destination.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: Big Stick Hunters...........

Postby Lefty » 10 07, 2017 •  [Post 2]

I may be swapping out my unfilled tag for muzzleloader
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Swede » 10 07, 2017 •  [Post 3]

I think I could be a gun hunter if I ever wanted to add a new State to my hunt plans. It would add a diminution to hunting I have not experienced in years.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Roosiebull » 10 07, 2017 •  [Post 4]

I wouldn't be opposed to it :lol:

as long as I still get to chase roosies with my bow, I would love to. never done it, but love rifle hunting blacktails....hunting is hunting, and I like it all.

good luck to all those going to chase elk with the loud arrows!
Roosiebull

Postby Grousewit » 10 08, 2017 •  [Post 5]

Ready to roll!! Only got 1864 miles to go for my first ever elk hunt. Everythings packed and repacked and repacked. Wonder what I will forget? Like a kid at Christmas can't wait till we leave Tuesday!
62 yr old Hunter/Trapper/Shooter
Grousewit

Postby Deanmac » 10 08, 2017 •  [Post 6]

Packed and ready, partner will be here in about 20 minutes, 2300 miles from now we will be in unit 54.
Deanmac

Postby Indian Summer » 10 08, 2017 •  [Post 7]

Hunting is hunting. I can't imagine being a bow only hunter and sitting at home during gun season with an unpunched tag! Bow hunting is a blast but numbers don't lie and there isn't a state out there that doesn't have a higher succes rate by far in rifle season. When I was outfitting (and my hearing was better) I would bow hunt for a solid month. My numbers coincided with the statewide ones and although I've killed my share of elk with arrows I got the job done more often with bullets. But I know for a fact I wouldn't have done as well if I hadn't zeroed in on things during September. Now that I can't hear bugles more than 100 yards away it's really hard to locate and set up on bulls during archery season. That sucks! But my time is limited these days and come next year I'll be down to a single week like lots of guys. So if I have to make a choice it'll be the hunt that ends with a rack on the wall and meat in the freezer. No doubt I'm jealous as hell when guys are heading out to bow hunt. But I feel sorry for them when they come home empty handed with no plans to go back out to fill those expensive tags.

Congrats to all of you who got the job done with stick and string and very best of luck to those about to rock. Fire!
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby ElkNut1 » 10 08, 2017 •  [Post 8]

Yes sir, good luck to those getting ready for their hunts, drive safe guys & report back!

ElkNut/Paul
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Dorobuta » 10 08, 2017 •  [Post 9]

Not chasing Elk this year with a big stick, but will be chasing Coues deer with one in December...
Yes, I am addicted to elk. No, I don't need help, I just need a tag.
Dorobuta

Postby oldnovice » 10 08, 2017 •  [Post 10]

Well, I got real tired of having a buck tag and seeing nothing but does. Then having a doe tag and seeing 6x6 walk out 100yds from me. Same with elk. This year I got all 4 tags for the same GMU. If I see them and they are legal and within range, they are in my freezer!
Old guy getting back into hunting after 40 year layoff!

Savage Axis 30-06 with Boyds Prairie Hunter stock, Osprey scope
Mosin Nagant 7.62x54R with ATI stock
oldnovice

Postby Roosiebull » 10 08, 2017 •  [Post 11]

oldnovice wrote:Well, I got real tired of having a buck tag and seeing nothing but does. Then having a doe tag and seeing 6x6 walk out 100yds from me. Same with elk. This year I got all 4 tags for the same GMU. If I see them and they are legal and within range, they are in my freezer!

I like your style :D

Good luck!
Roosiebull

Postby Trumkin the Dwarf » 10 09, 2017 •  [Post 12]

I'm still 6 weeks out. Thanksgiving needs to hurry up and get here!
Trumkin the Dwarf

First Name: Malachi
Last Name: C

Postby Indian Summer » 10 09, 2017 •  [Post 13]

Trumkin the Dwarf wrote:I'm still 6 weeks out. Thanksgiving needs to hurry up and get here!

I love the last week in Montana. I've killed several elk on Thanksgiving day. Good luck!
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro