Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Why Are You An Elk Hunter?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Why Are You An Elk Hunter?

Postby Swede » 10 12, 2017 •  [Post 1]

There are a lot of reasons why a person may choose to be an elk hunter. We may have one reason or several. Here are some I think might apply to us:
1. I love being out in the great outdoor West.
2. I enjoy the elk meat, and if I get one there is a lot there.
3. The challenge is formidable and it draws me in.
4. I would like a great trophy. I want one bigger than yours.
5. The camaraderie in elk camp and on the W.T. forum is like a band of brothers.

Maybe you can identify with one or more of these five, or maybe you have your own reason. I suppose I can identify with all of the above to some extent, though I am not much of a trophy hunter. Still I always like to get a nice bull. It doesn't have to be bigger than yours, as there is always a bigger one somewhere.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: Why Are You An Elk Hunter?

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 10 12, 2017 •  [Post 2]

Because its more exciting (and ultimately more fulfilling) than jumping out of a perfectly good airplane ;). I guess because its a "pure" endeavor in my meager mind.

* No rigors of work, home front responsibilities, just the evening routine of preparing for the next days hunt (day pack food stuffed in the pocket of my EXO pack for the next day... check; water bladder filled... check; weapon, gear, etc., staged and ready to go... check; plan A and B locked in for the morning, check; simplicity of the mission.
* The sounds, smells, and sights of the elkwoods and elk.... priceless.
* For the end state of being in the best shape of my calendar year at the culmination of "the hunt".
* For the premium table fare... the harvest (quite possibly the best wild game table fare out there).. Of course ;).
* Because its ingrained in me... I've done it for so many years; its a part of my annual routine.
* Because I like sharing what I know with others and showing them what its like to have a snot nosed, mud caked, PO'ed bull try to run them over 8-) to get at me, the caller.
* Because I do enjoy the camaraderie with other like minded hunters in elk camp on the mountain.....

Yes sir, its a passion and I can't imagine living my fall's any other way.. Good thread Mr. Swede....
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Swede » 10 12, 2017 •  [Post 3]

RJ, you brought up some reasons I had not thought of, but they are all good. Some people would say we are crazy. I am not sure they are wrong. I just don't care.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Roosiebull » 10 12, 2017 •  [Post 4]

all good reasons.

without elk hunting, i think i would lose my sanity (what's left of it anyways)
-i love the solitude
-i love living life at my pace
-i love all of the encounters (elk or not) that i have in the elk woods
-it's one of the things that keeps me motivated at work the rest of the year
-love the challenge day to day, and planning at night building anticipation for the following day (even if i haven't seen an elk in a few days)
-i love all of the associated emotions.

-I HAVE TO
Roosiebull

Postby Navesgane » 10 12, 2017 •  [Post 5]

All the above reasons but also to me, it's like hiking/camping with a bigger purpose and more rewarding. That and for some reason or another I enjoy physically abusing my body (in a somewhat healthy way)
Instagram @jeff.reilly1
Navesgane

First Name: Jeff

Postby redtop » 10 13, 2017 •  [Post 6]

Because I eat elk and you are what you eat.
Seriously all of the above.
Bowhunting in the midst of a herd of talking and bugling elk....It's got to be experienced to believe how incredible it is.
redtop
Site Sponsor

First Name: norm
Last Name: larson

Postby Lefty » 10 14, 2017 •  [Post 7]

Because its easier than fur trapping :shock:

My list includes all of the above.

Mountain solitude give me time spiritually;And a mix of quotes below

“Be a loner. That gives you time to wonder, to search for the truth. Have holy curiosity. Make your life worth living.”
― Albert Einstein
"I’d rather be in the mountains thinking of God, than in church thinking about the mountains."
– John Muir
“Going to the mountains is going home.”
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Roosiebull » 10 14, 2017 •  [Post 8]

Lefty wrote:Because its easier than fur trapping :shock:

My list includes all of the above.

Mountain solitude give me time spiritually;And a mix of quotes below

“Be a loner. That gives you time to wonder, to search for the truth. Have holy curiosity. Make your life worth living.”
― Albert Einstein
"I’d rather be in the mountains thinking of God, than in church thinking about the mountains."
– John Muir
“Going to the mountains is going home.”

That second quote is a good one!
Roosiebull

Postby Elkhntr08 » 10 15, 2017 •  [Post 9]

I've deer hunted for over 40 years and have a wall full of skulls. The deer patterns remain the same, year after year. Bear hunted over bait. Put out bait and sit and wait.

Elk hunting is the one thing that you get out of it what you're willing to put in. Sure there are guys that drop 10k plus to walk on a ranch and shoot the elk pointed out to them. If you kill a bull or cow on public land, DIY, that's something to be proud of. You have accomplished something.
I enjoy the time in the mountains , usually along, sometimes with a good friend. That time stengthens the friendship.
And come on, the first time you're standing on a mountain top with the sun coming up and you hear the first bugle of the year, who's not hooked for life?
Elkhntr08

Postby Dorobuta » 10 19, 2017 •  [Post 10]

I am an elk hunter, because one day in the woods I heard a bugle.
Then another day, I was able to stalk to within 20 yds of two big bulls fighting it out.
I was hooked.
Yes, I am addicted to elk. No, I don't need help, I just need a tag.
Dorobuta