Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Switch Hitters

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Switch Hitters

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 10 14, 2017 •  [Post 1]

How many of you cats are able to hunt elk with multiple weapons during various calendar year seasons (this year and/or previous years)? Here's a handful of questions to spark some discussion.

+ Are you able to hunt with multiple weapons/more than just one, most elk seasons (archery, smoke pole, rifle)? Name them (i.e., I hunt archery and rifle season most years).

+ If you do hunt multiple seasons/weapons choices, which would you say you normally have greater success.

+ Do you generally hunt the same area(s) in subsequent weapon seasons that you hunted earlier in the year with the previous weapon choice?

+ If you could not hunt multiple calendar seasons with various weapons, which would you choose if you had to select only one calendar season/weapon?

And yes please, add anything else into the discussion you feel may enhance the thread ;).
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: Switch Hitters

Postby Swede » 10 14, 2017 •  [Post 2]

For years I have hunted deer and elk archery only. In 2005 I had a rifle caribou hunt in the Northwest Territories. I would have preferred to have gone on a archery caribou hunt, but the rifle hunt was fun too. Oregon requires hunters to choose your weapon except for some very select hunts.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Elkhntr08 » 10 14, 2017 •  [Post 3]

Usually hunt archery, once in a while gun. Seeing how I didn't make it anywhere this year, I'm looking at multiple states next year. Archery in 1 state, gun in another. Even drug out the old 700ML the other day. Think I've got the bases covered, unless someone knows of a slingshot season.
Elkhntr08

Postby Lefty » 10 14, 2017 •  [Post 4]

I could hunt moose Sept Oct and NOV that would be archery , however that is once in a lifetime. In reality I would chose the whole month of September archery elk.
I barely look at deer during archery season, but my daughter is continually sidetracked by deer.
Then rifle October deer Then shotgun goose. sometimes look for big cats and toss in a few coyotes April may June rifle bear. But thats more of a hiking packing ATV trail cam season.
A friend who lives in central Wisconsin is all about crossbow deer, long season, lots of deer.
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Elkhntr08 » 10 15, 2017 •  [Post 5]

Illinois just decided to allow crossbows in archery season for everyone. We'll see how that turns out. Those things are expensive, so I think I'll be buying tags, not a crossbow.
Elkhntr08

Postby ishy » 10 15, 2017 •  [Post 6]

I put all my effort in archery, but Idaho is all about opportunity with lots of long seasons. I still go out with a rifle and late archery but it is usually short day trips. Probably a result of time spent, but way more successful during archery season. Between elk, deer and bear we can just about hunt from August 30th till Dec 16 nonstop.
ishy

First Name: Bryan
Last Name: L

Postby saddlesore » 10 15, 2017 •  [Post 7]

+ Are you able to hunt with multiple weapons/more than just one, most elk seasons (archery, smoke pole, rifle)? Name them (i.e., I hunt archery and rifle season most years).
I hunt muzzle loader an d rifle for lkl. Also hunt deer and antelope, ML and rifle

+ If you do hunt multiple seasons/weapons choices, which would you say you normally have greater success.
It's about equal. Some years I tag and elk with a ML, some with a rifle.Some years both

+ Do you generally hunt the same area(s) in subsequent weapon seasons that you hunted earlier in the year with the previous weapon choice?
No, I hunt different areas for ML than I do with rifle

+ If you could not hunt multiple calendar seasons with various weapons, which would you choose if you had to select only one calendar season/weapon?
Muzzle loader. Les shunting pressure and nicer weather
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Wyo67 » 10 18, 2017 •  [Post 8]

WapitiTalk1 wrote:+ Are you able to hunt with multiple weapons/more than just one, most elk seasons (archery, smoke pole, rifle)? Name them (i.e., I hunt archery and rifle season most years).
I hunt archery on the Wyoming General tag and cow hunt with a rifle during the late season (Nov/Dec) every year. If I am not able to fill the General tag with archery equipment, I will try to use it to hunt cows near the end of the rifle season (usually late November depending on the area). Due to hunting pressure, I avoid elk opening day/week/even month for rifle. Hunted deer opening day this year (also on a General tag) and there were plenty of booms throughout the day. Not many deer seen after opening day. Wyoming does not have separate muzzleloader season. I haven't looked closely at the Colorado regs and how the dates line-up, but as a bowhunter, I don't think I'd be a fan of muzzleloaders hunting the same time as archery.

Percentage-wise, pretty equal over the last 10 years. Archery I have taken 4 elk with a bow - 3 bulls and 1 cow. With a rifle 4 cows. Note - I typically spend a 7-9 days archery hunting vice only 1 or 2 days per year rifle hunting.

Unless we draw a limited quota tag, we always hunt the same areas each year.

Archery elk during September. Everytime.

And yes please, add anything else into the discussion you feel may enhance the thread ;).
Wyo67