Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Elk Hunt 2018

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Elk Hunt 2018

Postby Swede » 10 16, 2017 •  [Post 1]

Do you have a definite plan for your 2018 elk hunt or are you unsure what you will do?
I am thinking about 2018, but do not plan to be out 40 days like I was this year. I am not sure if I will move around more or shoot one in one of my regular haunts. I have even thought about going on a rifle hunt. I could get a pretty good rifle tag, but my heart is in bow hunting.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: Elk Hunt 2018

Postby sasquatch » 10 16, 2017 •  [Post 2]

My plans for 2018 is to prob skip elk for that season and use up all my vacation to go turkey hunting this spring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Blake
sasquatch

Postby Dorobuta » 10 16, 2017 •  [Post 3]

My 2018 plans:

Buy another Wyoming bonus point
put in for the early archery Bull hunt in AZ unit 27
if I don't get drawn, then I may try to get a last minute OTC hunt in CO in the flat tops area.

if none of that materializes, then 2019 will be a guided hunt in Wyoming

All of these will be archery hunts.
Yes, I am addicted to elk. No, I don't need help, I just need a tag.
Dorobuta

Postby BrentLaBere » 10 16, 2017 •  [Post 4]

Planning is an ongoing process. Heres the general application plan for me.
Wyoming w/point and maybe get lucky in the random
Montana (draw unit hope for general)
Idaho or Colorado as a back up because of the new demand in Montana.

I have some questions about units to apply for in Wyoming. Hoping to find someone to discuss the unit with, besides the biologist and warden. I have one area in mind that I could draw with 6 points. A few others to apply for as long shots. The tough thing about it is I know how you shouldn't be asking about units and draw attention, just looking for first hand experience and overall expectations....

Idaho and Colorado are completely new to me. Need a lot more reading on the draw process and seasons. Not to mention ive never even been to Idaho and only hear how crowded Colorado can be. The idea of starting green is a little intimidating after getting to know an area so well.
BrentLaBere

First Name: Brent
Last Name: LaBere

Postby Elkhntr08 » 10 16, 2017 •  [Post 5]

Apply for New Mexico, fall back on Idaho and or Colorado if needed. Buy another elk and moose point in Wyoming. Couple chances for Super Tag in Idaho.
Elkhntr08

Postby Roosiebull » 10 16, 2017 •  [Post 6]

i'm pretty boring, same old state, same old canyons ;)
Roosiebull

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 10 16, 2017 •  [Post 7]

I'm honestly not sure at this point. I've pretty much given up on Washington's crappy seasons and dedicated myself to either ID or MT for the full meal deal during the archery rut. Will have a few points for WY by the time next year rolls around but not so sure I wanna travel that far My area in ID is arguably a challenge (steep, thick, steep, thick) and the big dogs have changed the ways the wapiti do their business there but I'm not so sure I'm ready to give up on the area yet (you know how you spend years figuring an area out and are not so quick you're ready to move on?). Perhaps I should invite Roosiebull over thataway to show me how to "get er done". :D. Honestly, at this point in mid OCT 2017, I'm digging into numerous options.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Backyard » 10 17, 2017 •  [Post 8]

I'm looking forward to going back to Co. to the area I've hunted since '99. Most likely solo as that worked well for me last time, and I think I've got the mistakes I made then figured out enough not to make them again. My brother is talking that he might like to tag along, not to hunt, but to observe and help. Might work, if nothing else, to help with the long drive and the pack out
should I be lucky enough ;)
Backyard

Postby ElkNut1 » 10 17, 2017 •  [Post 9]

Roosiebull wrote:i'm pretty boring, same old state, same old canyons ;)

No sir bud! You are hunting smart! The more intimate you become with the country you hunt the more success you will experience! Keep doing it!

ElkNut/Paul
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby ishy » 10 17, 2017 •  [Post 10]

Thinking of heading south with friends next year. This year was exceptionally quiet in my areas. Usually easier on the family if I take ten days and get it over. When I hunt local I have a hard time giving up any daylight with a tag in my pocket. May cash in some Utah points. Same story no money, no time off work, but am hoping to pull it off while my dad can still be in camp.
ishy

First Name: Bryan
Last Name: L

Postby Kellum » 10 17, 2017 •  [Post 11]

Takeing a chance and applying in WY random draw. There is always the leftover draw option to consider. I will also continue to put in for New Mexico and see if i get lucky there too.

If nothing else im perfectly fine with calling for some people i know and help them get there elk out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kellum

Postby Roosiebull » 10 17, 2017 •  [Post 12]

ElkNut1 wrote:

No sir bud! You are hunting smart! The more intimate you become with the country you hunt the more success you will experience! Keep doing it!

ElkNut/Paul

that has always been my program, and every year, by default, the areas I know well grow in size (following a bull into the next canyon, elk are nowhere to be found, so I go looking, and find them in new territory, etc)

if it didn't work, or I didn't enjoy it, I would change....like I have said before, I wouldn't trade otc roosie season for any elk tag, and that is the truth. I love it here, and it's all of the challenge I need to be content...as you know, I plan on switching to traditional gear in the next couple years, that will be no easy task.

being persistent is the main thing, staying positive, and not getting discouraged, no matter how impossible it seems....it all can change in a second, and staying positive keeps us hunting hard, and hunting smart.
Roosiebull

Postby Swede » 10 17, 2017 •  [Post 13]

Roosiebull wrote:being persistent is the main thing, staying positive, and not getting discouraged, no matter how impossible it seems....it all can change in a second, and staying positive keeps us hunting hard, and hunting smart.

I completely agree. There were times this past season I was tempted to just pack up and go home. Nothing was happening, but it can and did all change one sunny morning.
Swede

Postby BullRun » 10 17, 2017 •  [Post 14]

I'm gonna hit NM again next year and then the OR Coast Range for the general rifle season. I guided in NM this year, so didn't get to hunt a bull. I called in elk every day...my guy had chances on a big 5x5 and a couple nice 6x6s...three chances inside 50 yards, and two inside 20...but decided to wait for the monster we saw on the second morning...so I was with him all 5 days of the hunt and didn't get to hunt my cow. The elk were thick in there this year though...and I just can't stand the thought of not going back next year ;) I'll be scouting this summer and into next season...
BullRun

Postby BullRun » 10 17, 2017 •  [Post 15]

Roosiebull wrote:
ElkNut1 wrote:

ElkNut/Paul

that has always been my program, and every year, by default, the areas I know well grow in size (following a bull into the next canyon, elk are nowhere to be found, so I go looking, and find them in new territory, etc)

if it didn't work, or I didn't enjoy it, I would change....like I have said before, I wouldn't trade otc roosie season for any elk tag, and that is the truth. I love it here, and it's all of the challenge I need to be content...as you know, I plan on switching to traditional gear in the next couple years, that will be no easy task.

being persistent is the main thing, staying positive, and not getting discouraged, no matter how impossible it seems....it all can change in a second, and staying positive keeps us hunting hard, and hunting smart.

Man Roosie...you're right...persistence and staying positive is a must. The bull in my profile picture was literally taken in the last half-hour of the last day of the NM season a couple years ago! I'd already walked back to the truck and was about to head back to camp and call it a season. Looked up and saw him out around 1000 yards walking across the mesa! Just went straight at him...You just never know!!
BullRun

Postby six » 10 19, 2017 •  [Post 16]

I’ve been telling my son since he was old enough to walk and talk he could go Elk hunting when he was 14. Well next year he’ll be 14. He likes his rifle a lot but likes school even more. He would rather go archery hunting than miss a week of school. I am excited as heck about it. I’ve dropped a few supple hints to my wife about making it a family vacation. I even offered to pack in a cot for her. After all she does have a bow, but hasn’t hunted with it since my son was born.

So it’s looking like Colorado for the first week of archery 2018.

11952719_1129820577032919_556230113881143505_o[1].jpg
11952719_1129820577032919_556230113881143505_o[1].jpg (182.9 KiB) Viewed 9218 times
Elk are where you find em...
six

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Cool

Postby stringunner » 10 19, 2017 •  [Post 17]

I'm always looking for and at new spots. Would like to expand the area we are in to another couple spots not to far that I found this past summer but didn't get to place any cams at. Swede and Oly and I are already talking about a few different spots.

If I were a betting man however, I will likely be back in the same spots we have been for many years at least for the first 3 days of the season and then see what happens from there. 3 for 5 in 24 hours, with another missed opportunity on day 4 is not a bad run, albeit it's not like that every year, but that's hunting.
stringunner

Postby Swede » 10 19, 2017 •  [Post 18]

This time of year I am always thinking about new areas and looking at GE & maps. I suspect I will be right back in my old haunts come archery season 2018. :D
Swede

Postby Washington Wapiti » 10 20, 2017 •  [Post 19]

I've hunted all over Washington. I'm pretty happy where I've wound up with the same 'ol, same 'ol. I'll probably stick with that. If it works out, might have a buddy from Utah out so he can try his luck at some Washington elk. I did a lot of scouting and observing in Oregon and all over Utah, back when I lived in those states, but ended up moving back before I could hunt elk or deer in either one. Literally right before the seasons started lol. I'd like to get back to both of those places some time.
The only time I've hugged a tree is to hang a stand.
Washington Wapiti

First Name: SHAWN

Postby Lefty » 10 20, 2017 •  [Post 20]

Same places as this year, Maybe take a day or two off of work.
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Cbb » 10 21, 2017 •  [Post 21]

I'm with Six my son just turned 14, he will be 15 Sept 1st 2018. I want to take him in the worst way. He's leaning gun, I'm leaning archery. Likely go for Montana either way.

If for some reason he doesn't go, whijch is unlikely.. 2 weeks in Montana in September with a bow for me.
Cbb