Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

New to CDA and could use a fellow hunters help

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

New to CDA and could use a fellow hunters help

Postby fwilkin » 10 16, 2017 •  [Post 1]

Hi, just moved here and love the area but am a fish out of water when it comes to Elk anything. Totally different then were I came from. Any and all help for elk/deer her for next year would be much appreciated. thanks
fwilkin

Re: New to CDA and could use a fellow hunters help

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 10 16, 2017 •  [Post 2]

Welcome to the forum mister. I'm assuming you're talking Coeur d'Alene, ID (CDA)... yes? Well, the big game season in N ID is in full swing right now but its certainly not too late to grab a tag and head out. Question: have you established residency in ID yet or will you have to pay OOS prices to hunt this year? That would be a consideration for me with the season (dependent on tag selected) being over 1/2 way over. Give us a bit more... Are you a one weapon guy, or, are you a switch hitter so to speak (hunt with more than one weapon if the seasons allow).
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Swede » 10 16, 2017 •  [Post 3]

Welcome to the forum fwilkin. The best advise I can give is to stay with the forum, ask more and specific questions, review old threads here that appear to be relevant, study maps & Google Earth, and go out and recon an area that you like the looks of. Spend a lot of your free time in the elk woods and get acquainted with the elk trails, natural saddles and benches, water holes/wallows in the area. Learn where the elk feed and bed. Check the stats on the Idaho Fish and Game website too. I know that is a lot to study, but knowledge is usually crucial to success. You can never depend on just luck to fill a tag.
Learn the elk and their habitat, then learn how to get them. Most people that want an elk, get the cart before the horse so to speak on this matter. Best wishes.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby fwilkin » 10 16, 2017 •  [Post 4]

Thanks, Is there an archery range in cda? I will do my my home work. Just need a little guidance on Id hunt area to go to. I have zero preference points so otc tags for me next coming year when I am. A resident. I am a meat hunter . If u have any questions on an I like bed there 20 years
fwilkin

Postby Swede » 10 16, 2017 •  [Post 5]

I don't know about the CDA area having a range, but there is one in the SE part of Spokane.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Elkhntr08 » 10 16, 2017 •  [Post 6]

No points in Idaho that I'm aware of. A lot of great elk hunters live in Idaho. I'd hook up with the local chapter of the RMEF, help out a little and see where that goes. I'm met some great folks and a couple great hunting partners through the Foundation.
Elkhntr08

Postby ishy » 10 17, 2017 •  [Post 7]

I'm a Hayden guy and happy to help. As of today rifles have been going off for a week, so I have no clue where the elk are today. There is decent elk hunting all over, nothing great but there are still elk if you are willing to work some. I have hunted 1,2,3,4,4a,and 5 and guided in 10 and have gotten into elk in each. Finding them in this junk is tricky especially in quiet years (this year was one). There is moderate to heavy pressure in most of the Panhandle. CDA bowmen have a range in the winter in a rented building across from the Kroc. The Spokane Valley archers is only about 25 min from CDA and has an outdoor range.
Where are coming from?
ishy

First Name: Bryan
Last Name: L

Postby fwilkin » 10 17, 2017 •  [Post 8]

Live in Ak from 25 years. Just moved here. Not wanting any ones secrets just some help and suggestions. Not a road hunter and have been a lone wolf mostly but this is totally different here. Willing to work hard. Being new I can assume I will be needing an otc tag next year. Not a horn hunter but a mean hunter. I have lots of antlers on my wall. expert on moose a bou so this is unexplored area for me
fwilkin

Postby fwilkin » 10 17, 2017 •  [Post 9]

how do I get in with the CDA bowman? I have lots of rifles and do shoot a bow.
fwilkin

Postby fwilkin » 10 17, 2017 •  [Post 10]

how do I get into the CDA club. I live to hunt and fish that is one reason why I moved here
fwilkin

Postby fwilkin » 10 18, 2017 •  [Post 11]

looking for shooter who use the CDA range and some hunting advise
fwilkin

Postby ishy » 10 20, 2017 •  [Post 12]

http://www.cdabowmen.com/
Not much going on till the first of the year when they will open the range and get winter leagues started.
ishy

First Name: Bryan
Last Name: L

Postby fwilkin » 12 12, 2017 •  [Post 13]

Still hoping to find Hunter or Hunters willing to share some suggestions on how and general areas on a future elk or deer hunt here within a couple days drive of CDA area. This is new territory here for me, thanks
fwilkin