Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Success At Elk Hunting

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Success At Elk Hunting

Postby Swede » 10 18, 2017 •  [Post 1]

I believe there are several components that need to come together for regular success at elk hunting. Number one is a good location. I don't care how good you are if the elk are not there, you are not going to fill your tag. 2. You need to know at least the basics and avoid significant mistakes. These basics you can pick up free right here on W.T. If you want more detail or to have a concise education you can buy a book or DVD here too. 3. Patience and persistence. You won't get an elk while at home on the couch. You need to put in your time. Elk don't run on our schedule and they have natural defenses that always make them a challenge to get on a pack frame. 4. Is about having the right mindset. That is what I want to focus on with this thread.

So what is the right mindset that will enable us to be more successful?
We need to have confidence without being arrogant. We need to know our abilities and limitations and how to minimize the negatives and to take advantage of what we have going for ourselves. Being realistic is knowing elk are not going to give us a good shot opportunity every time we go out. Bigger than all of that is maintaining an open mind, and being able to observe and adapt. An open minded person does not think he/she knows it all. Some have learned enough to be dangerous to the elk, but we are always learning more. We want to not only be able to kill elk in our area, but on other areas and units too.
Observing and adapting means that when things are not working as planned, we can change things up and go to plan B or Plan C as often as needed without just changing because we are not filling our tags as we planned. We change with a purpose and plan.

I am sure these basics apply to all forms of big game hunting, and many of you have experience with this. Lets discuss this and tell me what you have picked up on in mind set realm.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: Success At Elk Hunting

Postby Lefty » 10 18, 2017 •  [Post 2]

Always a, plan A, plan B, plan C

If the elk aren't there hunt somewhere else
We hunted 7 distinctly different places, all held elk
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Roosiebull » 10 18, 2017 •  [Post 3]

mindset?

I feel the less I think I know, the better I do :lol:

I gave up on "trying to figure it out" I just go hunting, have a tentative plan, but always open to change that plan. I try to stay positive and motivated, and pay attention to all of the current clues that fit in my head, and decide a strategy....again, not set in stone, and am always willing to change strategy on a whim if it makes sense.

I know i'm going to make mistakes, I know how hindsight works hunting, and I am not too self critical, i'm there to have fun.

the rest of the pieces fall into place in their own time, i'm happy to keep trying until they do.
Roosiebull

Postby BrentLaBere » 10 19, 2017 •  [Post 4]

Im not good at keeping the right mindset but I feel like I am getting better. I used to put a lot of pressure on myself to be successful. To be successful was to get an elk. Changing my outlook on hunting in general and what it means to be successful has helped a lot. Ill give credit to my wife for this. I would be down or frustrated after hunts that didn't go my way. She would be disappointed that I would be upset that I didn't kill anything because of how I talked about the entire experience in the off season. And it would always be in a good way. So, I started to reflect on that aspect a bit more. And its starting to build more confidence and fun for the overall experience. Look at the big picture. Hunting out west is something I love to do and dont want to get distracted by the end result but stay focused on the process. From planning, shooting in the off season, calling practice and training to be comfortable in the mountains I am enjoying it all. It always helps to stay positive when the elk and mother nature throw curve balls at you during the season. Ive had plenty of times ive scouted elk, had camp planned and how and where I was going to get my opportunity only to have it blown by hunting pressure or snow storms rolling in. Its time to adjust with a smile on my face because I am lucky to have experienced it all. Im starting to understand how important it is not to get set in your ways. Its easy to do because you're comfortable with it and know it so well. Be willing to fail and learn in a new area or way of hunting. A long with failure comes lessons learned if you pay attention. Its also led to more meat in my freezer.
BrentLaBere

First Name: Brent
Last Name: LaBere

Postby snowbank » 11 27, 2017 •  [Post 5]

I hunt 6-8 usgs quads. I know all of the trails and saw access to them. I know how the elk travel on them, when, and why. I know where they will be under all conditions and am willing to hunt every day of the season. When I was young losing 20 lbs a weekend was normal. Now as I approach 70, 6-15 miles a day on horseback is normal. I feed my stock well but they still noticebly lose weight.

If we tag out or freezer out I continue to hunt to understand migration patterns of the elk or scout new areas to expand my opportunities. This year we quit early because the snow melted and the refroze creating lots of crust. Tough on elk, man, and horses. It's also tough when the stock starts falling and sliding down the hills.

what does this mean you ask - an elk every year since 1963 except the year I had to get a hip replaced. Killing elk is not hard if you are willing to give up a few things and spend the time at it.
snowbank

Postby saddlesore » 11 28, 2017 •  [Post 6]

1. Remember that you are there to have fun.

2. Is is just as easy to kill and elk on the last day of the season than the first.

3.There is always at last one stupid elk that will walk by you. It is your job to be at the place when it does
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby elkstalker » 11 30, 2017 •  [Post 7]

Have clear goals and expectations, what is a successful elk hunt to you? Some years for me it's simply putting meat in the freezer. Other years I'm chasing the big one and let the little guys walk. Some days I don't know until I see the bull. For example, this year I hunted pretty hard and after days and days of hiking I was willing to take the first legal bull I saw. The first legal bull I saw was a decent 5 point, so down he went, I was more than happy.

When I first started hunting success was defined by the kill. Now I've learned that elk hunting is so much more for me. Getting to know the animals, getting close and interacting with them, solitude in the mountains, are all things that come together to make a hunt successful.

If we're talking about being successful in harvesting, for me some of the more important factors are:

Tenacity - Are you willing to keep after it day after day? Are you willing to go where others can't or won't?

Intelligence - To be a successful elk hunter you need to put all the pieces together. Know where the elk want to be, how much pressure there is, your weather conditions, etc. Most of the time it is a process, you gather intel every day, and put the pieces together to form a successful hunt.

Adaptation - If I'm not seeing elk or fresh sign, I'm definitely moving. Have a plan in case a bunch of hunters are working your area. Have a plan if the elk aren't there. Know what to do if you spot elk 3 miles away in the next drainage. Be ready to change your style, approach, and location if the situation warrants.
elkstalker

Postby snowbank » 12 10, 2017 •  [Post 8]

Elk have a summer and winter range. everything else is just on trip to or from. certain weather and/or conditions will move them along. Hot and dry will put them in the high wet drainages. In my country they feed in the bottoms at night and sleep in the rocks during the day. Snow may not move them to the winter range but crust and cold will. Cows are usually lower than the bulls and one or two ridges from them until the very end of the season
snowbank

Postby Wapiti » 12 12, 2017 •  [Post 9]

Year after year I find myself enjoying the game more and more.

Success is not about the kill for me. For me it's so much deeper. First off can you find elk ? Then can you get close by using the wind in your favour or do you get busted before it even begins ? Next comes the calling game. Can you say and do the right things at the right time to get the elk to react to you and become interactive ? Many times no calling is used and simply raking a tree with a stick and ruffling up some grass is all it takes.

For me nowadays I find myself hardly even knocking an arrow ! Instead I'm more intent on spending time during the call in process. I either want to become part of the herd or become an ally to the bull. More often then not I end up becoming the rival intruder and the bull wants to run me off !!

In a way I guess I'm looking to solve the old problem of a bull that is unwilling to come into the calling sequence. The infamous bull that wants to retreat back into the timber with his cows and avoid any confrontation at all !! Every bull has there own attitude and each has his own way of dealing with another bull. The more I run into these kinds of bulls I realise they are more or less the same.

Enjoying the moment and all the surroundings. The smells of the fresh earth beneath my feet after ruffing up all the grass under my feet and letting the smells of the fresh moist earth permeate into my nostrils !! The smells of fresh elk all around you and the echo of the bulls bugle in the distant aspen ridges !

All of this is what defines success to me.

As I walk out following the game trails heading towards my parked truck or camp a smile is always present. As like many of you, On my walk out I'm already reliving the encounter !!

Trav
Wapiti River Outdoors
780-876-6170
http://www.wapitiriveroutdoors.com
Wapiti
Site Sponsor

First Name: Travis
Last Name: O'Shea

Postby Swede » 12 12, 2017 •  [Post 10]

We each do it a little differently. We reflect where we have come from and our values. When I go out hunting I am very intent and focused on filling my tag. I don't care too much about the antlers, but they too add to the experience. I spend nearly eleven months waiting for my next opportunity to go hunt. The pursuit is the point but whole experience reaches a spiritual plain.
Trav: you are a true outdoorsman, and your post speaks well of you.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby elkstalker » 12 12, 2017 •  [Post 11]

I once heard a lecture where the speaker talked about the journey we all go through as hunters... Initially the thrill of the hunt and the kill are what sustain a hunter, then comes the challenge of getting your "limit" or tagging out every year, eventually we mature and begin seeking out ways to hunt that are more specialized and difficult (bowhunting, traditional bowhunting, harvesting only exceptional animals, etc.), and then passing down our knowledge to other hunters and generations. I think as we mature as hunters we also become more attuned with our environment and learn that hunting is about so much more than the kill, like what Wapiti was talking about. We all choose our own path but I think there is definitely a lot of truth to this regarding the evolution of a hunter.
elkstalker