Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Colorado GMU 18

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Colorado GMU 18

Postby astein32 » 10 28, 2017 •  [Post 1]

Hi there,

I have been hunting CO GMU 18 for 4-5 years now, and my dad many more than that. We have yet to drop an elk. A few missed opportunities, my dad missed a shot years ago, and I missed a cow last year (only shooting lanes was standing on a fallen tree...i found out when I shot that it was iced over). I know this isn't the greatest unit, but there has to be something (or somewhere) we can do better. We have hunted all over the place with the exception of the North end of the unit...my dad doesn't like waking up extra early to make a longer drive from our place in Grand Lake - something I'm always battling him over! The other part of that is that I've yet to pin down good ways to access the Northwest portion of the unit, except for buffalo creek/elk mountain. Any and all suggestions regarding hunting this unit would be beyond appreciated!

Thank you!
Ali
astein32

Re: Colorado GMU 18

Postby Swede » 10 28, 2017 •  [Post 2]

astein32: Welcome to W.T. I am sorry I know nothing special about hunting any Colorado unit. Just wish I could help. I suspect most of the hunters here are out hunting or doing chores at home. I am not sure how much it would concern me that dad is not going to get up real early. I don't know his situation, but have found you are better off if you can give it everything when you arrive. You can make up for a lost hour in the morning by hunting the remainder of the day fully focused. I hope you both do well, and again welcome.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: Colorado GMU 18

Postby Kentrek » 10 28, 2017 •  [Post 3]

I agree with getting lots of rest and being able to hit it hard once your there....it never pays off (at least for me) to cheat rest prior to a hunt. And it makes your dad happy....pick your battles :D

Wish i could help ya more in regards to the unit

Good luck
Kentrek