Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Can I hunt With You?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Can I hunt With You?

Postby Swede » 11 02, 2017 •  [Post 1]

Let me start with a disclaimer. I am not looking for a hunting partner or to go with anyone. This is for information only.
What I want to know is what you would need to know about me before you would consider saying yes? Maybe I should ask is there anything that I could say about myself, my hunting style, tactics, ethics or ability that would get you to consider asking me along on your hunt? Finally big payouts is not in the deal for this inquiry.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: Can I hunt With You?

Postby Roosiebull » 11 02, 2017 •  [Post 2]

all I would care about is desire to hunt, attitude, and are you a true team player?

the last one is tough to find, many say and think they are, but the truth comes out with game in front of us. I think I have only shot one animal while hunting with someone with the same tag, and I have hunted with people a good deal. the one I did shoot, the only reason I shot was because my buddy got too rattled to pull his bow back, he tried a couple times, then hunkered down and said "you shoot!" haha, i'm not sure that should even count :lol:

I still enjoy hunting with others, I just accept the facts and go with the flow. when i'm serious about filling my tag, I go solo.

edit: I take that back, I missed a nice bull with my brother with me, he isn't shot greedy, and I will be making it a point to hunt with him more. he doesn't care for my approach on hunting, he has a bad back and just cannot put in the miles day after day, it hurts him too much, but I am going to make sure I adjust my program and make sure we hunt together more in the future.

I also have 2 good friends (brothers) I have been hunting with the last couple years, and they are great to hunt with too....always a true team effort with them. the first sentence is my only real criteria though, if someone matches it, then they will be fun to hunt with.

I have a couple older friends that hunt, and never want to hunt with me telling me they will slow me down, I tell them I don't care about that, I can be mellow, easy and slower just the same. in time, I will hunt with them....they fit the criteria above.

the brothers mentioned above and I are planning a bike in and camp trip for the opener next year (probably a 5 day trip) I am really looking forward to it.
Roosiebull

Postby RAMMONT » 11 03, 2017 •  [Post 3]

Do you smoke dope?
Do you smoke anything?
Do you bring booze to camp?
Who does the camp chores?
Do you prefer to pack your camp in or drive in and maybe make a spike camp farther in?
Which takes precedence, making the kill or getting the animal out?
What's your attitude about hunting? Specifically are you a trophy hunter, a meat hunter, or do you just like to go out and hunt?
How do you hunt? Hiking, horseback, or machine? Do you hunt the roads or do you hike off the roads and if you do go off the roads, how far?
Do you spot and stalk or spot and stand?
Do you like to take long shots or shots at less than 30o yards?
RAMMONT

Postby Tigger » 11 03, 2017 •  [Post 4]

I would want to talk extensively with the person. In addition to most of the stuff already been posted, I don't want a complainer or a quitter. Someone who can compromise and we can work together as a team. I also want someone who brings something to the relationship.....research, woodsmanship, attitude, energy, etc. Nobody likes to hunt with a leech.

And as trivial as it sounds, I want to hunt with someone who has a sense of humor. Hunting should be fun.
Tigger

Postby Navesgane » 11 03, 2017 •  [Post 5]

Let's talk about it over a 5 mile run tomorrow morning.
Instagram @jeff.reilly1
Navesgane

First Name: Jeff

Postby Swede » 11 03, 2017 •  [Post 6]

RAMMONT:
Do you smoke dope? Do you smoke anything? Ya, all kinds. What are you bringing for me?
Do you bring booze to camp? My own. If you bring any, we will drink that first while I keep mine hidden.
Who does the camp chores? You of coarse.
Do you prefer to pack your camp in or drive in and maybe make a spike camp farther in? I am flexible here as long as you do all of the packing, including my stuff.
Which takes precedence, making the kill or getting the animal out? Everyone knows you have to kill the animal first.
What's your attitude about hunting? Make sure I get the good hunting areas. Don't worry about a good spot for yourself until you have packed my animal(s) out.
Specifically are you a trophy hunter, a meat hunter, or do you just like to go out and hunt? Another silly question. I want both the trophy and the meat.
How do you hunt? Hiking, horseback, or machine? None of you business unless I need to borrow your stuff.
Do you hunt the roads or do you hike off the roads and if you do go off the roads, how far? Huh? Is this a spiritual question? Do I sound like I am lost, or I don't follow the right path?
Do you spot and stalk or spot and stand? Ya.
Do you like to take long shots or shots at less than 30o yards? I am good to about 800 yards off hand.

So, now we have this understanding, when do we start? :lol:
Swede

Postby Backyard » 11 03, 2017 •  [Post 7]

Swede can I add a couple more things that are pretty close to the top of my list of requirements?
Can you handle yourself in the case of an emergency in the backcountry?
Do you have the ability and or knowledge to administer first-aid to you or myself if the situation should arise?
Can you read and navigate by map and compass?
Backyard

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 11 03, 2017 •  [Post 8]

After this year's elk hunt, I plan on a complete shake down of any potential invitee to my camp for anything that resembles an electronic game call.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Swede » 11 03, 2017 •  [Post 9]

Backyard wrote:Can you handle yourself
Honestly, what kind of a question is this, and who cares where I am?

As far as the other questions, just don't hurt yourself or get lost.
Swede

Postby Lefty » 11 03, 2017 •  [Post 10]

My wife and daughters have always taken precedent. I have only hunted big game with two others in the past 15 years. My father-in-law and my buddy that got me into ( or back into) archery.

Now goose hunting. if you show up on the same field, I would rather hunt with you than tick you off by limiting out and picking up during the remaining flights.
Mainly you need to be safe and if its in my field or pit its my rules
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Roosiebull » 11 04, 2017 •  [Post 11]

WapitiTalk1 wrote:After this year's elk hunt, I plan on a complete shake down of any potential invitee to my camp for anything that resembles an electronic game call.

haha!

has to be a decent story?
Roosiebull

Postby Swede » 11 04, 2017 •  [Post 12]

Boy, my joke above sure landed flat. Not unusual. :D

Now I am starting to wonder if I offended Backyard.
Swede

Postby Dr. Rx » 11 04, 2017 •  [Post 13]

You know...
After what happened to me this year.. I would be very, very cautious inviting anybody to ELK camp.
Hard to know if the guy is going to be selfish or selfless.
just my 2 cents
Dr. Rx

Postby Swede » 11 04, 2017 •  [Post 14]

I think it matters significantly what the hunting invitation is for. Are you inviting someone to hunt out of your camp, or are you planning on a hunting partner? Are you taking in a kid and exposing them to hunting, or are you inviting a seasoned hunter along that should be self sufficient? It also makes a difference what your pre-nuptials are. If you are ambiguous or have no pre-nuptials you can almost plan on problems. If you think you are getting an experienced elk hunter, but find out they only know Whitetails, and have read some things on-line, then you could be easily disappointed. I often divide up the grocery list. It is also workable to have a pay upfront arrangement.
Swede

Postby Backyard » 11 04, 2017 •  [Post 15]

Swede wrote:Boy, my joke above sure landed flat. Not unusual. :D

Now I am starting to wonder if I offended Backyard.

Haha! Not flat by any means. Im just lagging. Just now got around to reading it while I sit in a stand waiting for a monster WT. almost laughed out loud ;D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Backyard

Postby Swede » 11 04, 2017 •  [Post 16]

Good luck on your W.T. hunt Backyard. Is it cold where you are?
Swede

Postby saddlesore » 11 04, 2017 •  [Post 17]

Every time I invite some one to hunt with me that I don'y know well, I get burned. Happened again this year in rifle season, just because I didn't want to go alone. Of course the guys might say the same thing about me being a crotchety old fart set in my ways.

One thing that became crystal clear this year. My mind says I can do it,my body told me differently
saddlesore

Postby Backyard » 11 04, 2017 •  [Post 18]

Thanks Swede. Nothing but doe tonight. Theres a big 12 pt running around I have my eye on. And no, not bad yet for temps. 33 this morning and 43 this afternoon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Backyard

Postby Dorobuta » 11 06, 2017 •  [Post 19]

To me, I'd be more looking for someone to share camp with, from a safety perspective - i.e., Dorobuta has been out overnight without returning to camp. Maybe we should be concerned...

While I would help someone recover their elk, I don't necessarily expect (though I would welcome it) the same from others. Until we have established a friendship and have some time hunting, I'd be more inclined on doing my own thing out of camp, as far as hunting goes. Maybe, after a few hunts together I'd start suggesting double teaming, i.e. caller / shooter scenarios where we take turns calling and shooting. Then we would also share in the recovery, etc.

I don't expect to hunt with a stranger and automatically be best friends. I do expect courtesy, and a cordial camp though.
Yes, I am addicted to elk. No, I don't need help, I just need a tag.
Dorobuta

Postby >>>---WW----> » 11 08, 2017 •  [Post 20]

Nope! You or anyone else can't hunt with me. Well, maybe my son in law and my grandsons can. I've been burned too many times. Showed a few guys I trusted some of my good areas and now they are over run with all their friends. Sorry, but never again.
>>>---WW---->

Postby Swede » 11 08, 2017 •  [Post 21]

WW, years ago I worked with a fellow that was lost as soon as he was out of sight of the vehicle he rode there in. He did not even know if he needed to go up the road or down when he returned to that same road even though we walked up the road when we left. You could invite him to hunt with you, and tell him he was in Tennessee. Or California, or New Jersey. He was a pleasant person and did not let you out of sight.
Swede

Postby elkstalker » 11 13, 2017 •  [Post 22]

I used to hunt almost exclusively by myself, and rarely with a few close friends. I would take family out to help them fill a tag, especially if they were youth. A few years ago I hunted with a couple friends and it sure makes hunting camp a lot more fun. People to hang out with, share cooking duties, help pack out... Now I prefer to hunt with close friends, but they need to be able to pull their weight. I hunted by myself this year for elk, and really missed the camaraderie. Hunted deer with close friends and had a blast. My biggest concern is that a new guy will take my spots and share with others, so if I'm doing the work to find the elk/deer, I want to make sure they aren't going to burn the spot for me in future years.
elkstalker