Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Useless Items

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Useless Items

Postby Swede » 11 09, 2017 •  [Post 1]

What are some of the most useless items you have taken or know of hunters taking along for their elk hunt? Like a girlfriend that doesn't hunt or cook, these things may actually be a liability when it comes to getting an elk.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: Useless Items

Postby Navesgane » 11 09, 2017 •  [Post 2]

Battery chargers without a charging cord,
Instagram @jeff.reilly1
Navesgane

First Name: Jeff

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 11 09, 2017 •  [Post 3]

You mean besides somebody bringing a predator call (secretly) to camp? :lol: I'm not a big fan of rechargeable batteries for any hunting electronics (just a pain in the caboose to try to recharge them off car or quad batteries). I guess myself and few hunting partners have pretty much dialed in our packing lists so we don't bring many superfluous items.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby TennMatt » 11 09, 2017 •  [Post 4]

Well, this year I took a cheap cook pot that was cracked where the handles were riveted to the body of the pot. This only allowed me to heat 0.5L of water at a time.

I also took cheap batteries. I won't do that again.

Matt
TennMatt

Postby Roosiebull » 11 09, 2017 •  [Post 5]

WapitiTalk1 wrote: I'm not a big fan of rechargeable batteries for any hunting electronics (just a pain in the caboose to try to recharge them off car or quad batteries).

I have solved the issue by buying enough of them they last as long as you need. I have a couple dozen AA's, so even if I have no access to a charger, i'm good to go. I use them in my t cams, gps, e caller, and flashlights. I think they are the only way to fly, but I see your point, if you try to get away with too few, it could be an issue.

I also have a 110 outlet in the bed of my pickup, so it wouldn't be too bad (I know you guys often don't hunt out of your pickups like I do, if you pack in somewhere, I guess a pickup outlet doesn't do any good)

I honestly can't think of anything....back in the day, I used to camp opening weekend with a few buddies, and we always brought quite a few beers, that was a useless item, they lead to morning slows, and maybe a headache ;)
Roosiebull

Postby Swede » 11 09, 2017 •  [Post 6]

I think my pile of useless items reflects an advanced level of paranoia. I have enough tools to fix about anything. That includes a pair of pliers, two hammers and some screw drivers. Ok maybe it is not paranoia, but naivet'e on my part. I would not know how to fix most mechanical things that go wrong on my truck even if I had all the parts and tools necessar.
I also bring enough spare parts to redo my bow if anything goes wrong. In addition I have a spare bow.
I carry enough canned groceries to last a long time, and always end up bringing some home. It does not last long at here. My wife takes it straight to the food bank as she knows neither of us will eat it. I have four walkie talkies. What does a person do with four walkie talkies? I often have enough arrows and broad-heads to last ten years. I have enough rigging to hoist an elk up off the ground like a pro butcher would do it, but I never take it out.
These are just the items I look over when I get back from my hunt and wonder, what was I thinking when I loaded them into the truck.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Lefty » 11 09, 2017 •  [Post 7]

Swede wrote:What are some of the most useless items you have taken or know of hunters taking along for their elk hunt? ,,,,,,,

Years and years ago Ive hunted with some "Useless tools"
I dont hunt a 2nd time with them.

I have seen only a handfull of guys with calls, most dont know how or wont use them,. they just carry them round, Now that's a subject that could go for pages
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H