Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Colorado GMU 66 Archery

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Colorado GMU 66 Archery

Postby garyMichel » 11 15, 2017 •  [Post 1]

Looking at burning our 6 preference points in Colorado and just started researching GMU 66. We felt we were just about to hit nowhere land with the points and with point creep, may not result in anything better.

We have hunted OTC the last three years with decent success, with the first two being DIY. The first year we killed two bulls the last morning and then spent the next 36 hours starting 9 miles out, putting on 45 miles, hauling the bulls and camp out. Made it home an hour before my brother-in-law had his first appt in the morning and a half hour before my son started his first day of High School. Alot of work but wouldn't trade it for anything! That being said, we are getting older and wiser. But also put in the time to get in shape for the grind.

So, being 50 and 60, we aren't necessarily in for the long haul anymore and have less billy goat left in our systems. Probably looking at using a drop camp.

I would appreciate anyone's insight in the unit for archery. Any thoughts on outfitters, hunting pressure for archery, or general observations that we can't get from topo maps would be appreciated.

Thanks, Gary
garyMichel

First Name: Gary
Last Name: Michel

Re: Colorado GMU 66 Archery

Postby Swede » 11 17, 2017 •  [Post 2]

Gary, we are not trying to ignore you. Speaking for myself, I am just ignorant of Colorado hunting. I would call the local Forest Service office and speak to a hunter familiar with the area and ask them for some help. Call about 20 minutes before quitting time. 4:30 PM local time. Most F.S. field people start getting in about then. You want someone that gets out in the forest a lot. The office help is usually less knowledgeable. The field people are more willing to talk on the subject and can give you some good information. After calling the Forest Service a time or two, talk to someone from the local Fish and Wildlife service. Best wishes. Let us know how you do.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby saddlesore » 11 18, 2017 •  [Post 3]

In general,any OTC archery hunts in Colorado are getting pretty darn crowded.Even the 1-2 pref point units are getting there. Sucess rates are in the 12 % realm.

I don't hunt 66,but I would whole heartedly recommend J Bar H outfitters operating in in Unit 12, Jeanne Horne owns and operates it .Good drop camps, excellent chance of taking decent bulls, good equipment, great staff. That unit and some around it contain the biggest herds of elk in Colorado. One of the less expensive drop camps in the business.She also does full guided service camps.

I know her quite well and camp just up the road about 2 miles from her base camp and do very well myself n ML season,although I only hunt cows now days.Her camps usually do 90% + success. I traded some mules with her.She has one of my bigger mules on her string and I have a smaller one I bought from her and an older smaller pack mule that fits me and my requirements . She is one of the few outfitter that I know that will readily pack a DYIer's elk out .She was voted outfitter of the year a few years back and just finished a term on the Colorado Wildlife Commission( CPW). and was on the executive staff of Colorado Outfitters Assoc for 12 years.

The hard thing is getting signed on with her. Most of her clients are repeat and she is booked for 2018 and talking bookings for 2019.Check her website, and photo album. The photos she posted are current and not from years past like some outfitters do.

I know several outfitters in Colorado, but she is the only one I can recommend. I don't know the draw odds for archery,but a ML bull tag is 12-13 points for NR's.You can check the CPW web site on the statistics page and get that info.I do know that 66 is getting a lot of press now days.

http://www.jbarhoutfitters.com/

Jeanne Horne
P.O. Box 59
Hamilton, Colorado, 81638
Base Camp: 1185 Rio Blanco Cty Rd 53, Hamilton, CO 81638
Phone: (970) 942-7143
New Email: jeannehornecpw@gmail.com
Colorado Outfitter’s License #2758
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby garyMichel » 11 19, 2017 •  [Post 4]

Thanks for the suggestion Swede. Will do that.

Saddlesore, everything I've heard about Jeanne Horne has been positive. Looking to burn the points in 2018, not getting any younger.
garyMichel

First Name: Gary
Last Name: Michel

Postby Scott69 » 12 15, 2017 •  [Post 5]

Never hunted 66,but I had the unit 49 archery tag last year.Unit 49 will take 4-5 points and I could help u there.The elk were accessible without going miles and miles in.Btw,unit 12 archery is a 3-4 point draw.Unit 12 has tons of elk and good archery success.I taled to some guys that hunted 66 for archery a few years back and they loved it.They went outfitted but didn't fill either tag.They did see alot of big bulls though.Wish I could help you more
Scott69