Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Camo Gimmick or God Send?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Camo Gimmick or God Send?

Postby Swede » 11 16, 2017 •  [Post 1]

I just got to thinking again. This time it is about the value of camouflage. I use it all of the time while hunting. That is the way I can know what is mine for hunting and what is not for the hunt. Also I make sure my camo is not baggy in the sleeves or too much in the torso, so it fits well for shooting. But what about the camo part? Is it any better than a good plaid like we used to wear hunting?
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: Camo Gimmick or God Send?

Postby Kentrek » 11 16, 2017 •  [Post 2]

Camo is a huge asset in my opinion....movement is king but when archery hunting breaking up that outline is huge..rifle season i tend to not care
Kentrek

Postby Lefty » 11 16, 2017 •  [Post 3]

I was a plaid hunter growing up. Some camo is a gimmick, some helps a little.
I believe using a UV killer is important , and deer spot blues and whites the most
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Swede » 11 16, 2017 •  [Post 4]

My favorite camouflage pattern is natural brush. I am fine with plaid, but like to stay in the shadows near vegetation that really breaks up my outline. Working in the forest many years I often saw deer and elk. If I stayed still they rarely spooked even if I was somewhat in the open. I could get away with more by not having the sun on me, and even more by being next to trees and tall bushes.
Swede

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 11 16, 2017 •  [Post 5]

The pattern of the camo is really not that important, but, many/most of the camo patterns one can buy, set against a backdrop is better than a solid color. What I enjoy most about most of the modern camo clothing besides it breaking up your ugly human/predator "danger, danger" outline is the material. Poly blends, merino, all have moisture wicking properties, are mostly appropriately made for breathability, wind shearing factor, and rated warmth (dependent upon the season line), and dries quickly after busting the brush all day. THAT, from my perspective makes camo clothing far superior to the old school stuff (yes, I still have some).
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Roosiebull » 11 17, 2017 •  [Post 6]

WapitiTalk1 wrote:The pattern of the camo is really not that important, but, many/most of the camo patterns one can buy, set against a backdrop is better than a solid color. What I enjoy most about most of the modern camo clothing besides it breaking up your ugly human/predator "danger, danger" outline is the material. Poly blends, merino, all have moisture wicking properties, are mostly appropriately made for breathability, wind shearing factor, and rated warmth (dependent upon the season line), and dries quickly after busting the brush all day. THAT, from my perspective makes camo clothing far superior to the old school stuff (yes, I still have some).

I agree, it's more about the clothing than the pattern. I buy spendy camo, but mostly on sale, and a mix of sitka, kuiu, and first lite, of course I have a few Pendleton wool shirts and jackets I wear in the woods also.

i'm not brand loyal and buy articles that serve me best, so i'm often not matching...nothing cares including me :lol:

I have went to solid pants for the most part, my main reasoning is they are generally 10-15 bucks cheaper than camo retail, and are often found in clearance, and I have seen NO reason not to wear solid pants.

i'm with swede, my camo is mostly just to separate my clothes from my hunting clothes, I want to save the expensive articles for their intended purpose, though I fish in some at times ;)

i'm not very convinced camo matters much, I have been so close to deer and elk in the woods scouting wearing all types of non camo clothing, from a black hoodie, to a blue and yellow shirt...etc.

I am thinking of getting a cheap ghillie suit for lion calling, they are an animal that I think will pick a human out, especially coming slowly and cautiously to a call, but besides that, I could get by just fine if I wore solid pants and plaid shirts, and I am confident I would see no difference.

confidence in what you do is key, we do a whole bunch of overthinking when it comes to fishing and hunting, and i'm not exempt :mrgreen:
Roosiebull

Postby Tigger » 11 17, 2017 •  [Post 7]

one more attribute of hunting clothes in general which are typically camo, is that they are much quieter than their everyday counterparts. How many of us have heard the swish swish swish of someone walking in ski pants?

I penned an article about the ethics of wearing camo in public a while ago. In effect, camo is the hunter's uniform and as such we are no longer anonymous people. If you cut someone off in traffic, are rude and obnoxious at the store, or vulgar at the restaurant and are wearing camo, you are identified as a jerk hunter. So be a jerk if you want, but leave the camo at home!

I think it helps for concealment. It doesn't mean it is perfect, but it helps. I also have scavenged the high end manufacturers via the Bargain Cave, Camofire, Sierra Trading Post, etc and have good, but mismatched stuff. the only one who notices is my brother and he doesn't count.
Tigger

Postby Lefty » 11 17, 2017 •  [Post 8]

Tigger wrote:..............I penned an article about the ethics of wearing camo in public a while ago. In effect, camo is the hunter's uniform and as such we are no longer anonymous people. If you cut someone off in traffic, are rude and obnoxious at the store, or vulgar at the restaurant and are wearing camo, you are identified as a jerk hunter. So be a jerk if you want, but leave the camo at home!.....................

I would like to hear more. Some of the people that wear surplus military camo make me think twice.
When I trapped and hunted I tried to be incognito where ever I went.
Camo was the "working" outside layer and not used to fill the truck with gas, enter a motel office or grocery store. As RJ mentioned about the technology of the fabrics I look at that more than the camp pattern

There seems to be a reemergence in my area of dress camo, But we are a bit "independent redneck " in SE Idaho. My grand daughter has a Kings pink camo that I think is tasteful. My daughters only good warm clothes is women's cut Kings or Killick camo plus she pays about 40% of list price.
The local ski hill one in 10 are wear some form of hunting camo.
A few boys wear wear Sitka vests they received for shooting big deer on Sundays when they help pass the Sacrament

Im my area our Walmart sells women cheap camo with pink trim that many adult women wear because its cheaper than Carhart Cinch and Wrangler
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby elkstalker » 11 17, 2017 •  [Post 9]

Camo won't totally hide your scent or movement, but as said earlier, will break up your outline. I think a lot about concealment as I duck and goose hunt quite a bit, and sitting in the duck blind or lakeshore one of the best forms of concealment is sitting in the shade. The contrast that shadows provide can be used to our advantage. So, to me, more importantly than camo (although when hunting I always wear it), is where we chose to move and set up. Don't skyline yourself on a ridge, don't walk into large openings and meadows where you can get pinned down unless it's necessary, utilize the terrain for concealment so that you don't need to use your camo, move slowly and deliberately if there are elk in the immediate vicinity.
elkstalker

Postby saddlesore » 11 17, 2017 •  [Post 10]

The only reason some of my clothing are camo is that it was the only thing available, like rain gear.Trying to find a decent parka is one of them.I did buy some $14 pants at Bass Pro this fall .Heck of a buy.I do have one pair of BDU's that I use also. That is due to the cargo pockets and double wear layers at stress points. The first of January,Walmart puts their flannel and fleece shirts on sale usually $5 for the flannel and $12 for the fleece..There is no way, I am paying $500 for pants and top for Sitka clothes. A lot of guys get sucked into them because I guess they figure paying that much money they must be great and will make them a better hunter.

Idon't by the breakup outline theory much. I have killed too many elk at 15-25 yards wearing blue jeans and regular shirts. Mostly plaid flannel with an orange vest or a orange fleece hoody on in ML and rifle season.Quite a few of those elk were killed while they were in their beds that I sneaked up to.Both bulls and cows. I also have had bulls and cows come so close they were almost sniffing my boots. I don't know why a lot of guys think that just because you are hunting with a center fire rifle,you don't get close to elk

Movement and wind are the two factors I keep in mind while hunting.If I am sitting,I always set up against something or in back of it.
saddlesore

Postby Tigger » 11 17, 2017 •  [Post 11]

Oh Saddlesore, you are so silly. If you are wearing Sitka, you can walk right up to elk in their little elk beds, even when they are downwind, and pet them. Every time. Guaranteed or your money back. They especially like to be scratched behind their ears. Really.

I have never paid anywhere near that for my Sitka. I hit the closeouts and bargain bins. To be brutally honest, the biggest reason I love Sitka is because it is so dang comfortable. I don't think the camo pattern is any better than anything else.

Blue jeans? Pshaw! Everybody knows you cannot kill an elk in blue jeans. Ask any of the camo manufacturers and they will tell you that is impossible! :o

I know you could put up picture after picture of you and dead elk wearing blue jeans (you wearing the blue jeans, not the elk) but that is only because you somehow learned how to photo shop those old pictures. You cannot fool me, no way, no how!! (just to be clear, all that was sarcasm!).
Tigger

Postby saddlesore » 11 17, 2017 •  [Post 12]

You guys are lucky in that most of my elk hunting photos/kills are pre digital days and they don't scan well.

blue jeans and plaids.jpg
blue jeans and plaids.jpg (357.2 KiB) Viewed 14094 times
saddlesore

Postby Roosiebull » 11 18, 2017 •  [Post 13]

saddlesore wrote:..There is no way, I am paying $500 for pants and top for Sitka clothes. A lot of guys get sucked into them because I guess they figure paying that much money they must be great and will make them a better

A lot of guys buy it because it's superior products. Does it make me a better hunter? No...

Is it better clothing for the application? Absolutely

I did just fine in cotton Wal-Mart camo, but the high end clothing is far above and beyond, it is very much worth the cost to me, I spend a bunch of days in my hunting clothes each year, my only recreation is hunting and fishing, so after bills are paid, that is what I spend my money on. I like high end clothing for hunting, it's a justifiable cost to me...to each their own.
Roosiebull

Postby Swede » 11 18, 2017 •  [Post 14]

It seems not many are defending camo patterns. From my experience, camo doesn't fool an elk's any eyes better than plaid, or in most cases a solid color? Staying still, next to cover beats the alternative every time.
Now if you high end characters want to pay $500 for a pair of Sitka socks, I think it is wonderful. Someone needs to do something to keep the economy going. Maybe I will start an on-line store selling Sitka socks. :D or you can send me $500 and I will send you a six pac of Mal Wart Wonders or whatever they call their sacked specials. Those Mal Wart socks will fool an elk's eyes as well as the high end stuff; especially if you keep your boots on. Another benefit is the elk is less likely to catch your scent then. :lol:
Swede

Postby Kentrek » 11 18, 2017 •  [Post 15]

Il defend the sitka optifade.....and trash talk those walmart socks....

Wish i had the photo handi but i spent a few days in walmart socks on a trip once and it was un real how pruned my feet got...pretty painfull actually...dang things never dried out

And the sitka optifade has gave me some sub 10 yard incounters that id love to see you try in a plaid shirt..
Kentrek

Postby saddlesore » 11 18, 2017 •  [Post 16]

I have had 10 yard encounters with plaid.Years ago while ML bull elk hunting in the Flat Tops of Colorado ,it was Wednesday or Thursday in a season that had been open since the preceding Saturday.I was hunting with a TC Hawkin. We had been hunting pretty hard and not getting much sleep.Sitting up against a tree, I had apparently dosed off when I was awakened by the sound of foot steps. Thinking it was my brother,I half turned around and a bull was looking at me,sniffing. Not 5 feet away , his head on the same level as me sitting there.

My rifle was leaning against a tree two feet away or so. I reached for it and threw it to my shoulder. The bull had turned a little,but still was not spooked. I would have killed that bull at 8 foot except in my excited state,I forgot to cock the hammer. I got it cocked, shouldered it again, swung on the bull that was now about ten feet away. I dropped the hammer and POW. I thought the gun blew up.What I didn't see was a pine tree about 4" diameter, not more than a foot in front of the muzzle and that explosion as the tree was blown about in half. Bull was now standing , not more than 15 feet away. Still not spooked. Grabbing my quick load, I poured the powered in, seated the maxiball in the muzzle with the starter, whipped out the hickory ramrod and got the maxiball pushed about 1/2 way down the barrel when it stuck. Broke the ram rod. Bull is still looking at me, and then walks off . He probably had enough looking at my blue jeans and plaid shirt. Then to add to the occasion,he walked down over a hill and I hear BOOM. Hot damn,my brother killed it I thought. Giving it a few minutes,I walked down and my brother is still sitting where I told him to, no bull. Turned out he set the trigger on his CVA and was bringing it down , touched the now hair trigger and blew a 370n gr Maxiball into the heavens when the bull was about 20 feet away. The bull walked off again. We didn't see another bull the rest of the hunt. I sent my dentist up there in rifle season,told him which tree to set against , and he killed a bull there.

Hey, don't knock the Walmart stuff. Those Wrangler fleece plaid shirts that go on sale for about $12 in January are some of the most comfortable and warmest shirts I have worn.I have some big dollar Pendelton and Woolrich wool shirts and those fleece shirts are every bit as warm ,just as waterproof, and about 1/2 the weight and bulk
saddlesore

Postby Kentrek » 11 18, 2017 •  [Post 17]

Its not how many under ten yard encounters youve had with no camo on thats is important...but how many more you would have had if you were using camo...esp sitka optifade. :D

When things go wrong with a giant the last thing i wana have go through my mind is "well...what if i was using camo"...just doesnt seem worth it
Kentrek

Postby Swede » 11 18, 2017 •  [Post 18]

The Ford blue oval is the best camo pattern. I was sitting back one early afternoon and had a whole herd pass by me a few yards away. I stayed still wearing my Ford baseball cap and nothing spooked. Along with that it was blue jeans and a regular shirt. The only thing special was that cap. The Ford logo is far better that Sitka optiflop. Saddlesore, did you and your brother per chance have blue oval caps on? :lol: Humm. Now I remember, maybe it was my PSE Archery cap that I had on. Anyway I have had deer and elk pass nearby without being spooked many times while I was out working. I think it could have been my hard hat that kept them from running away in a panic.
Swede

Postby saddlesore » 11 18, 2017 •  [Post 19]

Oh,I could relate several more close encounters,and I could relate of several more I have shot in their beds by sneaking up on them ( Which is lot harder than calling them in) , but I don't have the inclination to type that much with two fingers.
Trust me,it isn't what you are wearing ,it is where the wind is coming from and how much you move( or don't move). Elk don't know what a human looks like that doesn't move and is backed up against or behind something not nearly as much as they know what they smell like
saddlesore

Postby Kentrek » 11 19, 2017 •  [Post 20]

Im not doubting your guys experience while using non camo clothing.....but have you guys ever used sitka optifade ?? Do you have any bad experiences using camo ??

Give it a shot, i know old dogs dont like learning anything new but i think this would be a good one to come back to after you steathly non camo non calling hunters actually spend some time hunting in it
Kentrek

Postby Swede » 11 19, 2017 •  [Post 21]

I have had no bad experiences due to any camo pattern. I have had no bad experience due to plaid either. I am sure Sitka gear is good stuff. I have not used theirs, but have used and still have several camo patterns. I like the camo clothes for the qualities some have mentioned earlier. I have bought other materials and patterns (HECS for example) that were touted as being superior. I have just not seen the benefit of any of them.
One day I had a herd of deer walk by. Not one of them saw or smelled me. I was standing in the complete open. How close were they? Well, I jumped out and caught the last one and put it on the ground much like a cowboy drops a calf. What was I wearing you ask? What kind of camo? It was a chambray shirt, black cotton jeans, aluminum hard hat, and caulk boots. I was logging at the time.
Swede

Postby Roosiebull » 11 19, 2017 •  [Post 22]

I don't think I have EVER got busted by game just picking me out, unless i'm in the wide open, and they are close....and even then I have been undetected more than busted. I have never seen a camo pattern I thought gave me any advantage over a different one.. wind, movement, sound, or a combo is what gets you, and I have never seen camo bail me out of any situation like that :D

I honestly think plaid is as effective as any other camo pattern, make tech hunting clothing in plaid and i'll prove it :lol:
Roosiebull

Postby ElkNut1 » 11 20, 2017 •  [Post 23]

Camo is to hide from people; but; camo is cool! (grin) You do not need camo to be undetected by elk! I've shown this countless times over the years!

ElkNut/Paul
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Tigger » 11 20, 2017 •  [Post 24]

well I'll be gosh-darned and gol-danged. Swede just admitted to buying a HECS suit. I have never come across someone actually willing to admit that. And still he jabs at us Sitka wearers. That is just too funny.

That was a good point about it is not about how many you have had but rather how many more would you have had with better camo? From a mathematical standpoint, it is hard to tell the difference between 40% effective and 60% effective until you get into a rather large sample size.
Tigger

Postby Kentrek » 11 20, 2017 •  [Post 25]

ElkNut1 wrote:Camo is to hide from people; but; camo is cool! (grin) You do not need camo to be undetected by elk! I've shown this countless times over the years!

ElkNut/Paul

Why do you use camo then ?? There is plenty of awesome technical outdoor clothing out there that is in a non camo and is much cheaper
Kentrek

Postby Swede » 11 20, 2017 •  [Post 26]

Tigger wrote:well I'll be gosh-darned and gol-danged. Swede just admitted to buying a HECS suit. I have never come across someone actually willing to admit that. And still he jabs at us Sitka wearers. That is just too funny.

It is not funny. :cry: I have been a sucker and bought a lot of junk that was supposed to take me to the next level. Of coarse I have bought some good stuff too.
To your greater point; I rant about some things and some people's take on stuff, but I suppose we are all a mixed bag. I.E. Elknut teaches a lot of great stuff. So what if we don't entirely agree on every aspect of calling? I have learned from him and know I am a better hunter because of what he has shown us. The path to developing as elk hunters is not a straight line. Not only is it not straight, there are a lot of trees and washouts along the way. Think HECS suits. :D
Swede

Postby ElkNut1 » 11 20, 2017 •  [Post 27]

That's a fair question bud! I get most of it free, companies send it us at no cost & others give us a seriously reduced price on many types of clothing, it's a no brainer! (grin) I do like the material of them & the amount of pockets as well, those are great pluses for us. If you'll notice in all my writings you do not see me recommending one camo over another for greater success, basically it doesn't really matter. I've taken many elk without the use of camo, especially with the tops being solid colors. To date I've seen nothing that shows camo is essential to fool elk into coming closer! Just my honest opinion! I also had a Hec's suit sent to me, I wore it for 2 years, couldn't tell any difference there either. Keep the wind in your favor & don't move when elk can see you & you are pretty much golden! (grin) Sure they can spot you but don't move or let them wind you & no problem, they generally settle right down & still allow you your shot!

ElkNut/Paul
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby CurlyTail » 11 20, 2017 •  [Post 28]

I believe Camo patterns work as intended. Although not nearly as critical as not moving, I will not purchase a knife or bugle tube with camo because I put them down then walk away, so they must be effective as I have done this more than once. I have never walked away from something blaze orange.
CurlyTail

First Name: Jim
Last Name: B.

Postby Roosiebull » 11 20, 2017 •  [Post 29]

Kentrek wrote:
ElkNut1 wrote:Camo is to hide from people; but; camo is cool! (grin) You do not need camo to be undetected by elk! I've shown this countless times over the years!

ElkNut/Paul

Why do you use camo then ?? There is plenty of awesome technical outdoor clothing out there that is in a non camo and is much cheaper

many articles of clothing are designed with hunting in mind, and that is very helpful when buying things sight unseen. if I had access to a store like REI or Sierra trading post, I would likely buy more of it.

I do think some shape break up is beneficial to a degree as well, but I think plaid does a fine job of that. if you look at some of the clothing designed for the traditional archer, you will see it's both the most expensive hunting clothing on the market, and plaid is the only camo pattern, and those guys whack plenty of animals at traditional archery range.

I like that type of clothing, but for the most part, it's just too expensive to buy the really high end wool clothing targeting traditional archers. over the years I have picked up quite a few Pendleton shirts, and a jacket from goodwill :D but even Pendleton retail is high, but I fish and hunt in the articles I do have, and it's nice stuff in certain conditions.
Roosiebull

Postby ElkNut1 » 11 20, 2017 •  [Post 30]

This question has been mulled over for years, I remember doing a self test for the 2010 Archery Elk Season, this was 7-8 years ago now but here were my results, nothing scientific of course but I still hunt without camo on occasion so my thoughts remain the same!

ElkNut/Paul

2010 – No Camo Rule
Well, with Sept. over, I was in the field aprox 23 days this year out of the 32 days. I wore a pair of faded out 4 year old Sitka semi camo pants, that's the best I can describe them! I wore those because they had good wicking features & there was rain the 1st part of the season & I just stuck with them the entire time as I had all my daily calls & stuff in the cargo style pockets!

For a top I wore a grey medium light wool pull over long sleeve shirt on occasion or a green mock turtle-neck long sleeve shirt in most situations as my outer layer. I had a Sagecreek faded out camo hat & no face paint or mask at anytime during the elk hunts. I only wore camo gloves the 1st part of the mornings on the cooler days & none on non-cool days!

I washed these clothes 3 times during those 23 days & I used no cover up scents or scent-lok of any kind. We hunt the wind exclusively! (grin)

I saw zero ill effects while wearing these clothes in comparison to other years of wearing camo head to toe! As I've always stated its ones movement during crunch time (close encounters) that gives a hunter away regardless of his choice of camo or detergents! You must play the wind religiously & not have any movements when elk are in a position to spot slightest unusual movement! By no means am I suggesting anyone not to wear camo, it's a personal choice; I'm just sharing my experiences without it!

I helped pack out all the bulls we took this year in this same clothing with no washings between a couple of them as there was no time! I would wear these types of clothes again with no problem & feel as blended in as if I belonged there!

I will now share stories of elk coming our way to our calling & how close they came without me being detected.

EXAMPLE-1
I remember on opening morning things were very slow! My Son & I Paul Jr. were in a small draw, we were on one side & could easily look over on the other side as it was only 100yds or so away! We decided to do a short setup with some light cow calling & I threw in the contact buzz, within minutes we could hear pounding hooves coming our way, it was a calf & ma heading towards us. I was in front of my Son & he was behind me 5 yds back. The Cow & Calf stopped 17yds away from me staring the area down looking for these elk they heard, they looked right passed us both, I was crouched down not moving a hair with nothing between myself & them, after 30 seconds of looking they finally moved off in search of that group they heard. We held tight in hopes a bull was in tow but it was not to be!

EXAMPLE-2
It was around Sept 5th, we had been covering ground that morning in hopes of hearing some calling or trying to get them to respond! We came across a large East/West facing draw, after glassing it well we picked out 20+ cows & 1 spike in the group, not one branched antlered bull to be found. These elk were in the 500yd to 650yd range away. We stopped & I took a few photos of us there & you can see the outfit I'm wearing! We sat there for over an hour after the photos & not one elk could care less about our being there! Not a big thing but thought I'd share all happenings I could recall!

EXAMPLE-3
We will move to Sept. 10th, I was hunting alone this day & it was a drizzly & foggy morning! I was heading to an area we call the Elk Trail, I had been walking aprox 1/2 mile in when I heard a distant bugle, my 1st of the year, I headed that direction & was following some very fresh tracks of a few elk that were ahead of me but I could only see 50yds or so due to the heavy drizzly fog! I was pushing my way through 12' high alders & very dense wet brush with tons of downfall; I'm now aprox 1 mile in. As I try staying close to this massive rock out-cropping doing my best to follow these muddy tracks I come next to a 20' evergreen to my right & 8' high brush in front of me with small openings, I'm getting fairly wet with all this crap as I push my way through, all of a sudden an elk jumps up aprox 25 yds away & starts running away from me, I give a quick nervous/popping grunt with my voice & he stops at 38yds broadside but behind enough brush to cover his vitals, I'm now looking through these evergreen branches & the brush is concealing parts of him, I know he wants to see something so before he gets too nervous I give a voice groan/grunt that lasted about 3/4 second & draw, as soon as I do this he steps forward 2 steps to get a better look at this elk he can hear but not see, I guess him at 40yds & shoot, hear the arrow smackkkk! As you can see this bull had no issues with my non-camo attire! He went a short distance & was down.

We had several more instances in the next 10 days of being close to cows & calves where we watched them, many under 100yds & no issues come to mind!

EXAMPLE-4
My Son & I go in fairly deep this day aprox 4 1/2 miles in; we hear 2 bugles in the drainage below us that answer our bugles. We move in silently cutting the distance & realize this is a couple satellites we are hearing, we get aprox 80yds away & setup. My Son is to my right 25 yds out front. I give a medium sized short bull scream with a series of chuckles & receive an instant response. I start raking a tree & thrashing dried limbs in a controlled manner & can hear one of the bulls coming through the thick brush & sparse pines & he is circling us but has a long ways to go to get around us. I see the bull coming from my right to left 60 yds out, as soon as I see him ducking his rack under some low hanging stuff I motion my son to go to his left so he can see this bull coming our way, at the same time I retreat 30 more yds back into cover & bugle & rake a bit more. At no time does the bull catch either of us moving as he is occupied with positioning, problem is he's in range now but will not get out of the thick cover. Opportunity gone, for now!

EXAMPLE-5
We return to this same area 2 days later after giving it a rest! We are now in the 4 1/2 miles & bugle from above a massive rock out-cropping into this area where we had the previous encounter & receive zero response! We thought we heard some crunching so we move down towards the bottom & setup looking to the west expecting (hoping-grin) an elk to appear, nothing happens! So I give off a squeeze on a hoochie mama & 2 cow sounds from a mouth reed & scream a short bugle as if this bull (me) is trying to keep his cows close by, I give another squeeze & 2 more cow sounds with the reed & almost immediately we hear hooves coming our way from the North East which is nearly behind us!!! As this elk comes from a very small finger draw towards the sounds we spot him at 55yds, my Son is now behind me & to my right as he did not have time to move up as this bull came in fast. I am in the wide open ground with no cover at all & my bugle in my right hand but am on my knees sorta hunched over. The bull looks right at me or in my direction as he's searching for this small group.There is a small 8" diameter pine between the bull & I for whatever that's worth? (grin) I am poised & ready to give a nervous grunt to stop this bull as he weaves in & out of the timber to stop him if needed as I see this bull heading right towards my Son, BIG MISTAKE!!! All of a sudden I hear my Son give a loud Nervous Grunt with his voice & I see this once walking bull freeze up instantly in a small shooting lane, I look ever so slowly toward my Son & see he's at full draw. I then look at the bull with no quick movement just in time to see the arrow sink deep into his side! Once again, the lack of camo was not an issue! If on any of these encounters either of us had moved in a jerking motion it would have been game over, when movement is necessary you must do it slow & under control!

EXAMPLE -6
There were other small encounters that do not warrant typing so I will move onto Claytons hunt! On this hunt my Son & I both did calling but my Son was the main instrument that put the bull in mine & Claytons lap! On this last day of the season all 3 of us headed to one of Claytons all time favorite spots & spent the night, (no tellum creek) it was here where we would wrap up the season as it were! By daybreak it found us up on top of an elky bench with little to no sign. Clayton decides to bugle here to see if anythings around, he does so & receives an instant response from several bulls; we were dumb-founded as the place looked deserted!!! I gave a couple cow sounds with a mouth reed & squeezed the ole hoocher twice & screamed a bugle as if to let the other bulls know they weren't welcome, yeah right!!! (grin) It worked fine, Paul Jr. could hear things breaking & crunching coming our way from in front of us & Clayton & I hit the ground & now Paul Jr. was now the caller as he had no choice because he was behind both of us & this elk was coming fast. Paul Jr was on the downhill side of a small knob 30 yards away & Clayton & I were on top, Paul Jr. went right into a light version of the Threat Level I & within 30 seconds was up to Level II.

Clayton & I saw the bull coming in at 60yds out through all the burned lodgepole. Clayton was to my left about 4' away & I was behind a 5" lodgepole both of us crouched down on one knee, I had my Bugle at the ready in my left hand and a mouth reed in my mouth ready to stop this bull if needed for the shot. The bull came to Paul Jr. calling from 60yds to 50 to 40 to 30 to 23yds & stopped right out in front of us, he got nervous & I knew he was ready to bolt any second, he was nervous because he couldn’t see any elk there, I was only hoping Clayton did not move & try to force something as the bull would catch any movement, I'm sure Clayton was thinking the same of me! (grin) With no camo the bull never even gave me a 2nd thought! The bull a 6X6 did get nervous as he peered over the small hill where all the commotion was coming from & saw nothing! As he whirled to leave I whispered Draw, & with his back to us now & I bellowed a single nervous grunt, Clayton drew his recurve, the bull whirled around nearly broadside & stopped dead in his tracks to see this elk he must have missed somehow right there in front of him, Clayton released & "smack"!! There were ups & downs but what a hoot we all had that day, it was a great year with 4 bulls taken! Camo or no camo "just hunt" --- I will add that many of the fabrics that camo are known for can really help deter some of the inclement weather nature can toss our way unexpectedly, that's worth serious consideration on those not so nice days!

ElkNut/Paul
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul