Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Salt of the Earth..... Seasoned Elk Hunters

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Salt of the Earth..... Seasoned Elk Hunters

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 11 21, 2017 •  [Post 1]

Although there is some seriously good stuff out there in this modern day that will help the younger, or those just starting their elk hunting career a bit late in life, to shorten their learning curve in their elk hunting endeavors.....I always pause to give the "old salts" a bit of gratitude when I think about it and remember where a ton of elk hunting information comes from. You've been through all the changes in this thing called elk hunting we love so much. Season setting changes (yikes), bag limit changes (whoa), in the elk states; how to deal with the "anti's" as they slithered out of their apartments and into our hunting areas; the introduction of a non-native wolf species into our beloved elk woods; crazy diseases becoming prominent (CWD, Hoof Disease); the rise of the media forms (not all bad obviously) touting "how to hunt elk" scripts and videos (watch this Pr...s video and you'll be golden ); yet you still continue to evolve, persevere, kill elk and very important in my mind, pass on what you have learned through many, many years of experience when asked. I just want to pause a second and thank you seasoned cats for where you've traveled, what you've experienced, what you've seen, what you've persevered, and the fact that you continue your annual quest to match wits with the greatest of the North American big game animals, the Wapiti. Gentlemen, I salute and thank you! RJ

If you have a story (or stories) of how one of these old salts I mentioned have helped you along the way, please share it.... The old guys seldom ask for anything in return for their assistance, but its always nice to give them a prop on occasion.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: Salt of the Earth..... Seasoned Elk Hunters

Postby Swede » 11 21, 2017 •  [Post 2]

As an older hunter, I have a lot to be thankful for also. I really appreciate the opportunity to pass on some of what I have learned to interested hunters. Whether it is a little or a lot, I don't want to take it all with me when my Lord calls me home.
The younger hunters here are enthusiastic, eager to learn and respectful. What we as seniors can pass on is not only hard learned information and our love of the whole experience, but a sense of awe at how vast this hunting matter is. Elk hunting is my favorite, and it is more than I can fully comprehend. I hope those coming along now will continue to build on what is shared on this forum, what is on video and what is written. I hope they understand hunting is not a one size fits all proposition and they learn on the ground. Fortunately, I see here some people that know far more, at their age, than I did at that age. They will be able to advance this pursuit further on into their senior years.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Indian Summer » 11 22, 2017 •  [Post 3]

RMEF words to live by.
Attachments
IMG_2561.JPG
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Old school » 11 22, 2017 •  [Post 4]

There have been many on this site that have been a great help to me as I try to learn how to effectively hunt elk. I’m trying to give my boys a big boost as they learn while they are young instead of starting this process much later in life. I’d list off all the names, but I’m sure I’d inadvertently leave someone off (RJ and ElkNut have been a big help for sure). Vince aka Saddlesore has been over the top helpful in my pursuit. I enjoy attempting to call to elk - but you’ve got to find them to call them... That’s where Vince helped me out tremendously. Literally showing me spots on a map of where elk should be based on where he had killed them in years past. And my boys and I hiked back in there and got into our first real bugling action that we’ve ever had. I’m pretty sure that hooked my boys for life. Just the look in their eyes as we sat at the edge of a meadow in the predawn darkness hearing a bull scream from less than 50 yards away. What an absolute blast! All because someone on this site was selfless enough to literally point me to the elky spots. That alone saved me years of learning on my own. One of these years we will bring one home with us! 2018 is the year!

It has also helped me be able to now look over a map and identify where elk should be based on topography and expected Hunting pressure. Thank you Vince!

—Mitch
Old school

Postby lamrith » 11 22, 2017 •  [Post 5]

WapitiTalk1 wrote:Although there is some seriously good stuff out there in this modern day that will help the younger, or those just starting their elk hunting career a bit late in life, to shorten their learning curve in their elk hunting endeavors.....I always pause to give the "old salts" a bit of gratitude when I think about it and remember where a ton of elk hunting information comes from. You've been through all the changes in this thing called elk hunting we love so much. Season setting changes (yikes), bag limit changes (whoa), in the elk states; how to deal with the "anti's" as they slithered out of their apartments and into our hunting areas; the introduction of a non-native wolf species into our beloved elk woods; crazy diseases becoming prominent (CWD, Hoof Disease); the rise of the media forms (not all bad obviously) touting "how to hunt elk" scripts and videos (watch this Pr...s video and you'll be golden ); yet you still continue to evolve, persevere, kill elk and very important in my mind, pass on what you have learned through many, many years of experience when asked. I just want to pause a second and thank you seasoned cats for where you've traveled, what you've experienced, what you've seen, what you've persevered, and the fact that you continue your annual quest to match wits with the greatest of the North American big game animals, the Wapiti. Gentlemen, I salute and thank you! RJ

If you have a story (or stories) of how one of these old salts I mentioned have helped you along the way, please share it.... The old guys seldom ask for anything in return for their assistance, but its always nice to give them a prop on occasion.

Well said RJ!
I personally want to thank you specifically for taking this clueless flatfoot under your wing to learn me a thing or two about hunting. It has been an honor sharing elk camp with you. I had never seen an elk or fresh elk sign before you started helping me 2yrs ago. Now I have called them, heard them respond, seen them, smelled them and even had elk turds bounce off my head while walking the trail.

None of that would have been possible without your help.
'15 Elite E35. 30.5", 67#
100Gr. G5 montecs
Sportsman's Vital Impact 300spine

http://www.pelletpeddler.com
lamrith

First Name: Larry

Postby saddlesore » 11 22, 2017 •  [Post 6]

I guess I am 1/2 way there as I have been called salty a few times
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby stringunner » 11 22, 2017 •  [Post 7]

I’ve learned a ton much thanks to all you “old timers.” :D

When people ask what I attribute my success too in the elk woods, it almost always includes mentioning how much I learn from this and other forums. And when you come to these forums, one quickly sees the wisdom put forth from the gray hairs. ;)

I’m definitely thankful you guys spend the time you do posting on these forums.

Everyone knows I hunt with Swede, that was at his invitation to me (even when I was the one whom wondered into his hunting area), I’m thankful he and Oly took me in and have continued to freely and selflessly teach me and share their camp and brotherhood with me. I have learned a ton from listening to and following Swede around the woods.
stringunner

Postby saddlesore » 11 23, 2017 •  [Post 8]

I am at the point in my hunting career,that it is closing fasts. Maybe too fast for me. I don't need to ever shoot another elk, but I like eating it and if I discount the cost of keeping these two mules I can kill an elk ( except for this past season),cheaper than I can buy a half of beef and it is healthier eating . Those high timber line meadows and bugling bulls have always called me though and going elk hunting has a way of getting all the knots out of my rope. I'll be 75 by next elk season. When I was 40, I figured I had 30 more elk hunts to go.I have surpassed that and hope to do a few more,but would like to pass some of that knowledge, experience or what ever along before I forget it all.

I enjoy helping guys get their first elk and I have started quite a few youngsters on their first hunt as teenagers. I would work harder getting them to kill one and pass punching my own tag.

Most of the areas I help guys find are ones that are too tough for me to hunt anymore, but hold elk. I never sent different guys to the same area.I don' t think that would be right. I can't give much advice about all the new techy gear on the market today, but I pass on what has worked for me in my hunting days.If I am still capable of hunting in 2018,I will be reversing the role and asking for advice on some new gear. All this talk about camo and calling though,it's hard for me to hold my tongue.

What I do run into sometimes are these know it alls that have hunted elk 5-8 years and think they have it all figured out.If I do say anything they roll their eyes and give a look like that old fart doesn't know a darn thing.So I usually don't enter into conversations about techniques and such. I know when I first got on here,I gave some advice on a particular matter and was countered that giving advice was good, but I needed to make sure it was correct.I think it was about bulls being call shy.That has always stuck in my memory, because it was good advice, but it didn't agree with how the responder hunted elk. So now,I might respond of what works for me, or what I have experienced but no one should take it as gospel.

I'll always help if I can, but what worked for me might notwork for all.
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 11 23, 2017 •  [Post 9]

Saddlesore: "Those high timber line meadows and bugling bulls have always called me though and going elk hunting has a way of getting all the knots out of my rope. I'll always help if I can, but what worked for me might not work for all". That sir, is what I'm talking about. In this day and age of chaos and confusion on so many fronts in what true hunters love to do, its helpful more than you realize, to be able to connect with somebody like you that is willing to Pass it On. Honest comments, recommendations, based on years of experience is invaluable to me and other younger hunters (well, I'm not really that young but appreciate you just the same as we're constantly learning something new throughout our hunting career, yes?). Vince, I sincerely wish you many more years of good health, hoping you give them mules more than an occasional apple for their service, and perhaps for you mister, a good handful of endeavors in the elk woods as the years roll on. Thank you.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ