Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

The Good Outfitter Thread............

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

The Good Outfitter Thread............

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 12 04, 2017 •  [Post 1]

I have never used an outfitter in over 40 years of hunting but will never rule out the possibility of doing so. I know a good handful of folks (friends, acquaintances, a certain sponsor here, that make it their priority to serve their client to their utmost to get the job done and done right). For the good ones, it seems to be more of a passion to assist their clients than a nuts to bolts business. For this thread, please, share an experience or recommendation for a good or great outfitter you've had the pleasure of working with. This can only help those planning to travel to a distant land to perhaps, have a great outfitting experience and pass on what you cats are saying with your posts...... ;)

Please, list the outfitter, state, and game hunted.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: The Good Outfitter Thread............

Postby Swede » 12 04, 2017 •  [Post 2]

Years ago I went on a guided turkey hunt out of Medford Oregon. The outfitter guide was a very nice persona who worked diligently to get me a turkey. I could not say anything negative about him or his services except I do not think he was a great turkey hunter. I never saw a a turkey until I was driving away from his home. The other person I know that hunted with him had the same basic experience. All in all it was a fun hunt, and I did not care much about having a turkey anyway. I am sure that guide is retired now and I forget his name anyway.
In 2005 I went to the Northwest Territories to hunt caribou. I was booked through Cabelas with Aylmer Lake Lodge. The accommodations were excellent and I got a trophy critter. The guide service was first class. I did hear some grumbling from a couple of hunters who were in camp, but I believe the problem was with the prima-donna hunters and not the outfitter or guides.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby saddlesore » 12 05, 2017 •  [Post 3]

I don't use her,but Jeanne Horne that owns and operatesJ Bar H outfitters out of Meeker ,Colorado is one of the best I know of for elk
Only problem is getting signed up with her. Most customers are repeat clients. She is already booked for 2018, and taking bookings for 2019
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Tigger » 12 05, 2017 •  [Post 4]

I have hunted with 2. Wyoming Wilderness Outfitters for elk in Wyoming. Jake and TJ Clark are first class people and I would highly recommend them. Frazier Outfitting in Colorado was the second one (also elk) and Sammy Frazier was also fantastic. You will not go wrong with either of these folks.

I think my guided days are over. After doing it DIY for the last few years, I don't think I could ever be guided again! It is just too much fun to do it by yourself with good friends.
Tigger

Postby Fridaythe13th » 12 05, 2017 •  [Post 5]

What if 3 of us have 9 preference point each for Colorado mule deer. Any particular guide I wouldn't be wasting my preference points. I would love to hear about drop camp guide. Thank Eric
Fridaythe13th

First Name: Eric
Last Name: S

Postby Tigger » 12 05, 2017 •  [Post 6]

that is a similar situation to why I used Frazier Outfitting. We had 13 elk points and didn't want to waste them given the elk that time of year were likely to be very high and a long way from a trailhead.

Ask to talk to clients who did NOT shoot an animal. If they give a good reference, the outfitter is probably a good outfitter. Also, ask about the particular guide you will have. The outfitter can be fantastic, but if the guide is only so-so, then you are going to have a so-so experience.
Tigger

Postby Old school » 12 05, 2017 •  [Post 7]

First elk hunt I ever went on with my dad - (probably 15 years ago) was a guided hunt with Wayne Hill Outfitting in Noxon MT - we hunted in Idaho though. Intense mountain man. Wayne only had 1 lung and smoked like a chimney but nobody could climb the mountain like Wayne. We had 8 in camp and 7 of us killed. The 8th could have but he was too wore out to go get a bull that was bugling 1/2 mile from the road. Wayne and his guides only hunted till noon but nobody complained because we covered a days worth of ground by noon. And his wife Annette cooked great meals for breakfast and dinner.

Wolves have had a massive impact on their area since then though.

—Mitch
Old school

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 12 05, 2017 •  [Post 8]

Old school wrote:First elk hunt I ever went on with my dad - (probably 15 years ago) was a guided hunt with Wayne Hill Outfitting in Noxon MT - we hunted in Idaho though. Intense mountain man. Wayne only had 1 lung and smoked like a chimney but nobody could climb the mountain like Wayne. We had 8 in camp and 7 of us killed. The 8th could have but he was too wore out to go get a bull that was bugling 1/2 mile from the road. Wayne and his guides only hunted till noon but nobody complained because we covered a days worth of ground by noon. And his wife Annette cooked great meals for breakfast and dinner.

Wolves have had a massive impact on their area since then though.

—Mitch

Ya, old W. Hill has been doing the thing in that area for a looooong time. I've ran into him and/or his guides more than a few times up in those mountains. Always seemed like a good guy and his guides were good folks also.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Old school » 12 07, 2017 •  [Post 9]

RJ - yes he and his guides push you to your limits and then a little further. They know those mountains and aren't afraid to go anywhere to find elk. I think with the impact of the wolves though they are down to just a couple of guys guiding for them now due to demand...sad to see. I had a young 20ish yr old local for my guide and he was great (and half billy goat) Chase was his name.

--Mitch
Old school