Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Wilderness Bulls

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Wilderness Bulls

Postby Indian Summer » 12 06, 2017 •  [Post 1]

Have any of you ever "gone deep" for a true wilderness hunt? One time I packed in 28 miles. I passed on a 5 point bull that was actually a herd bull but then struck out. The experience was awesome though. Here's a pic of a bull from this season from the Selway Bitterroot Wilderness. Gun season there like in many remote areas starts September 15th. At one point the wolves definitely put a hurting on the Selway but the numbers are doing better these days. The quality of bulls is as good as ever. There are bulls in some wilderness areas dying of old age.
IMG_2341.JPG
IMG_2341.JPG (59 KiB) Viewed 6074 times
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Re: Wilderness Bulls

Postby otcWill » 12 06, 2017 •  [Post 2]

Awesome! In CO there are a few places where one can get about 11 miles from a road so never done anything like you're describing. I've packed in about 12 or so miles in WY a few times. This is the result of one of those trips
Attachments
2013 WY bull.jpg
2013 WY bull.jpg (139.13 KiB) Viewed 6091 times
otcWill

Postby saddlesore » 12 06, 2017 •  [Post 3]

Like otcWill, I hunt Colorado. If a person packs in 1 2 miles, most likely they will meet another hunter coming in from the other side. My biggest bull, a 7x8 was taken in a GMU that wasn't 1 2miles wide
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Swede » 12 06, 2017 •  [Post 4]

I think a true wilderness hunt would be great. Some wilderness areas are hunted as much as some non-wilderness, so getting the right place would be key. I have only hunted the edges of the Eagle Cap in Oregon. It was nothing special where I was, but some other places would be as good as many special draw units.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Old school » 12 06, 2017 •  [Post 5]

IMG_1696p.jpg
IMG_1696p.jpg (161.49 KiB) Viewed 6069 times

Never been back 25+ miles. My dad and I hunted the southern tip of the Bob Marshall. We were about 10 miles back in there and it was a great experience. Didn't kill a giant, but had a blast.

--Mitch
Old school

Postby Roosiebull » 12 06, 2017 •  [Post 6]

I don't think I have ever hunted anywhere you can get 3 miles from a road.

I hunt places we get a long ways from where you can drive, but it's not the same.

Opening weekend for 18' situation dependant, 2 buddies and I are planning on riding in 12 miles and spending a few days, but again, not the same, we will be riding in on bikes on logging roads.

I would bet my first wilderness hunt will take place in AK
Roosiebull

Postby Roosiebull » 12 06, 2017 •  [Post 7]

Indian summer, how would you get game back from packing in 28 miles? Horses?
Roosiebull

Postby ElkNut1 » 12 07, 2017 •  [Post 8]

" I don't think I have ever hunted anywhere you can get 3 miles from a road."

It's because you haven't had too & neither have I & probably never will! (grin)

ElkNut/Paul
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Indian Summer » 12 07, 2017 •  [Post 9]

I never had to either. I just wanted to! I've always killed my elk within a mile ir 2 of a road. My biggest bull was 100 yards from a gated road open to 4 wheelers.

Heck yeah Roosie horses and mules. It's an 8.5 hour ride one way. I took one of my guides a few days earlier and made a hay run. We slept on the ground and ride right back out the next day. When we rode in to hunt we only had a wall tent and our gear and food. There's no way you could go in that far on foot, hunt, and pack elk out. Especially in mid September with the warmer temps.

I'll post some cool pics later
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Swede » 12 07, 2017 •  [Post 10]

Elknut's and Indian Summer's posts remind me how often we are told to go miles into the wilderness to get into elk. I have never killed an elk that was two miles from a road. I doubt I ever will, as it is important to be able to get the meat out. Unless I am hunting with others, packing out can be a real problem in rough country far from an open road.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby ishy » 12 07, 2017 •  [Post 11]

The camp I guided was 7.5 miles in and our most used spike camp another 7.5. It was in North Central Idaho and what was once great elk country. There's still elk, but nothing like before the mid 90s. That was about the halfway point that you started getting closer to roads coming in from the other direction.
ishy

First Name: Bryan
Last Name: L

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 12 07, 2017 •  [Post 12]

No, never that far in but good to hear the Wapiti are alive and well in some of the wilderness areas. May have to give em a go SEP 18 ;). That's a pig of a bull IS.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby CurlyTail » 12 08, 2017 •  [Post 13]

My only wilderness experience is fishing and canoeing in Saskatchewan. My dads cabin is 26 miles from the road and the closest inhabited cabin is over 30 air miles away. No Elk but quite a few Black Bear, moose, and an occasional Woodland Caribou.

True wilderness gets into your soul, and there is nothing like it. It would be amazing to do a true wilderness Elk Hunt.

I have not found anything in Colorado that counts as true wilderness although there are some amazing and remote areas.
CurlyTail

First Name: Jim
Last Name: B.

Postby Kentrek » 12 08, 2017 •  [Post 14]

I have a couple deep wilderness areas picked out.....but mostly with the idea of hunting deer !! I hunt mostly under ten miles in for elk but ive done well creating alot of space between me and the crowd with terrian more then just pure miles..

Some of that country 20 pluss miles in just looks unreal....cant wait to go get lost in it someday
Kentrek

Postby VT Sasquatch » 12 12, 2017 •  [Post 15]

I would love to try it but I guess you either need horses yourself or to go through an outfitter, right? I might try a drop camp one day.
VT Sasquatch