Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Wyoming with 5pts

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Wyoming with 5pts

Postby Scott69 » 12 15, 2017 •  [Post 1]

I have 5 points for this year's draw in Wyoming.I have no problem going in the special draw if it gets me a good tag.What would you guys do with them?Right now I'm leaning toward a type 2 tag in unit 19.Units 38 and 39 are places I'm also looking at.Or should I wait a couple more years and do unit 7?I know unit 19 will be a little challenging with access,,but I have the chip for my gps.
I'd like to hear some opinions on this or message me
thanks
Scott69

Re: Wyoming with 5pts

Postby Indian Summer » 12 16, 2017 •  [Post 2]

7 has access issues and the elk can take refuge on private pretty quick. Keep in mind the number of cow tags. I'd go with 38 or 39. The Bighorns are a heck of a place to hunt.

BTW you have to make 3 posts before you can send/receive PMs.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Scott69 » 12 16, 2017 •  [Post 3]

Which unit would you go with out of 38 and 39?
Scott69

Postby ElkNut1 » 12 16, 2017 •  [Post 4]

Both are good Scott, whichever one you can draw!

ElkNut/Paul
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby blackwolf » 12 17, 2017 •  [Post 5]

Are you looking for bow and gun? 38 requires more points than 39. A few bowhunters have told me 38 is pretty crowded in bow but lots of elk. If mainly interested in bow, a Type 9 tag in unit 11 can be done with Special and 5 pts. and holds lots of decent bulls, just not a trophy location as Unit 7.
blackwolf

First Name: Jim
Last Name: Messerschmidt

Postby stringunner » 12 17, 2017 •  [Post 6]

Wyoming has tons of elk and many units that are good. A guy doesn’t need a ton of points to have a good elk hunt in Wyoming. Considering you are several years behind max and if you want to hunt Wyoming more often, I would find the best unit you can score with your current amount of points and go hunt. Then find a unit that you can draw every couple years with 1-2 points in the special draw and hunt it often.

I’ve hunted and killed a couple elk in Wyoming when I was a resident. I moved away the year after they instituted the points. My dad has max and I am 2 years behind max. We could have hunted Wyoming 3-4 times in other units by now if we weren’t playing the point game AND had many great hunts in awesome units. Same here now for Oregon. I’ve got 8-9 elk points and deer points aswell, I should have cashed them in a while back and hunted 2-3 point units more often. Once these points in Wyoming are spent and Oregon, I doubt I will build a ton of points again. I would rather hunt good 2-3 point units more often than a awesome unit every 10-12 or 30 years. IMO
stringunner

Postby Scott69 » 12 18, 2017 •  [Post 7]

I agree with what you said.That's why I'm asking for advise with the points I have.I think a 3-4 point unit for a few different states will work out to one good elk hunt each year
I am planning on the special draw.I think 38 sounds good,but I prefer a unit I can archery and rifle hunt so that's probably off the table.I think 39 is the same with no archery for type 1 tag holders.I'm leaning towards 19 type 2 and hoping the tag increase helps with drawing this tag.I am going to check out unit 11 that was mentioned
Anybody else have a good suggestion?I want to go in archery and return in rifle if needed if that helps
Scott69

Postby stringunner » 12 21, 2017 •  [Post 8]

Sorry busy week, just getting back to this. I checked the draw odds, it does look like 19 might be an option for you in the special. I know nothing about any other units in the state so take this with that in mind. I have hunted unit 7 several times. I have also scouted and considered 19 a decent amount. Keep this also in mind, this was all about 10-12 years ago so units can change a ton in that time. Based on what you want, an archery hunt to be able to return in rifle if not successful, and given your point numbers and willingness to spend them, I would say 19 is a good option. Get onxmaps or some other software to show you precisely private property boundaries to start with. Then look into “walk in areas” on the WGF website, also look for ranches that participate with WGF in the program that allows hunters to come onto the ranch and hunt, I’m forgetting what this is called but it can be found on the WGF site. When I was looking at 19 this is what I did and I felt like I could get enough access to make a hunt worth it. I wish I had kept my research on this unit as I would gladly share it with you but that was many years ago and I no longer have it. I know there are many many great units in Wyoming that a guy can be successful in, if the homework is done. Either way good luck. Let us know what you decide and share with us how your hunt goes. If you want 19 and are willing to do the homework I bet you will enjoy the hunt either way.
stringunner

Postby Joe Schmo » 12 22, 2017 •  [Post 9]

I was looking at 19 and scrapped the idea...mostly on access and trophy potential. I'm looking at 38 as well...pretty sure you have ZERO chance at drawing it with 5 points :( However, 11 is a possibility for sure.
Joe Schmo

Postby Scott69 » 12 24, 2017 •  [Post 10]

Actually,I have 100% guaranteed type 1 tag in 38 if I want it in the special draw.Problem is I can't archery hunt it.I want to do archery and rifle if needed.I have I think 45% odds of a unit 19 type 2 tag.I think my odds will go up though with the tag price increase to where I think that tag will be a guarantee this year.
Does anyone know if type 1 tag holdrs can hunt archery in unit 39.I'm sure you use to be allowed the last 2 weeks of Sept but I can't find that imfo anymore which makes me think it's only open to type 9 tag holders anymore
Scott69

Postby jmez » 12 24, 2017 •  [Post 11]

I'm a little confused on Wyoming?

What is the difference between the draw and the special draw for non residents?

I've looked over their entire webpage and can't find anything about it? Do you just pay $1057 instead of the $577 and increase your odds at a tag?
jmez

First Name: jason
Last Name: mez

Postby Indian Summer » 12 25, 2017 •  [Post 12]

jmez wrote:I'm a little confused on Wyoming?

What is the difference between the draw and the special draw for non residents?

I've looked over their entire webpage and can't find anything about it? Do you just pay $1057 instead of the $577 and increase your odds at a tag?

Basically yes. A few years back it took 1 point to draw a general tag as your first choice and you could draw it for sure as a second choice in the special draw. Then it got to the point where it took 2 points to draw it in the regular draw and you had to make it your first choice in the special to draw. The regular draw odds haven’t changed since then but eventually it took 1 point to pull the license in the special with no chance of drawing it as a second choice. Last year for the first time some of the applicants in the special who had 1 point didn’t draw.

There’s also the random draw which is a small amount of tags set aside for one last chance for all unsuccessful applicants.
Indian Summer

Postby ElkNut1 » 12 25, 2017 •  [Post 13]

Yes, buying the additional 'Special' can increase your drawing odds! My Son bought the Special this year & it more than tripled his chances in drawing his desired unit!

ElkNut/Paul
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby jmez » 12 25, 2017 •  [Post 14]

Thanks guys.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
jmez

Postby Indian Summer » 12 26, 2017 •  [Post 15]

I guess it’s worth mentioning that in a few rare cases the special draw getts flooded with applicants and the odds there may be equal to or even less than the regular draw. Never the case with general licenses but if you are applying for limited quota units make sure you check that.
Indian Summer

Postby jmez » 12 27, 2017 •  [Post 16]

Page 30 of the antelope, deer, elk regulations booklet has the archery information in a chart. 39 isn't listed so no archery with type 1 tag there.
jmez

Postby Scott69 » 12 27, 2017 •  [Post 17]

Have any of you guys hunted unit11?I'd like to hear more about that unit if you could message me.I can draw type 1 there and archery hunt last 2 weeks of Sept.
Scott69

Postby Joe Schmo » 01 10, 2018 •  [Post 18]

Sorry buddy. Yeah you're right about the 38-1 tag...however I would just say...there's probably a reason for that. From what I hear the type 1 and the type 9 hunts aren't comparable at all...see the required PP's. Of course a "bad" WY hunt could seem pretty danged good to a guy like me from WA/OR :)
Joe Schmo