Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Where in CO to go elk hunting

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Where in CO to go elk hunting

Postby elk320 » 12 19, 2017 •  [Post 1]

New member wanting to take son muzzleloader hunting elk in Colorado. We each have 7 preference points. Any suggestions as to units, location, outfitters, packers would are appreciated. Thinking unguided, maybe drop camp now. We have each gone on 3 elk hunting trips and have never gotten a shot, yet. Thanks.
elk320

Re: Where in CO to go elk hunting

Postby Swede » 12 19, 2017 •  [Post 2]

Welcome to the forum elk320. I can't help you with Colorado, but you should experience some great hunting with your preference points. Best wishes.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Navesgane » 12 19, 2017 •  [Post 3]

Welcome elk320 are you looking to kill a certain size bull with your points or draw a certain unit? If not you can get into some non-trophy units that hold a lot of elk.
Instagram @jeff.reilly1
Navesgane

First Name: Jeff

Postby elk320 » 12 20, 2017 •  [Post 4]

Goal would be a 300" bull, but mostly to see/work some bulls and enjoy the country. We are from the Midwest, so any 5+ pointer would be good. My son or I have hunted Units 24, 28 and 45 with rifle or bow.
elk320

Postby Indian Summer » 12 20, 2017 •  [Post 5]

Welcome aboard. Give it a minute and I’m sure Saddlesore will chime in with some good info for you.

Keep in mind you have to make 3 posts before you can send or receive PMs (hint hint)
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby otcWill » 12 20, 2017 •  [Post 6]

Tons of options. You could draw 80, 4, 77, 20, 48, or 501 just to name a few. Hold out a couple of more years and you could draw 12 (9pts now). In all honesty, unless you have some specific intel for one of these units; good information is worth WAY more than points in CO unless you have 12+ PPs. Good luck!
otcWill

Postby >>>---WW----> » 12 20, 2017 •  [Post 7]

7 points puts you in no mans land. You would do good to go OTC and keep applying for points. I wouldn't waste them anywhere where there are tons of hunters and little if any chance at a good bull. You can get unit 4 or 12 with no points if you hunt private land. I'm not sure just how many points are required for 76. But it usually takes far less than any of the so called premium units.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Backyard » 12 20, 2017 •  [Post 8]

Indian Summer wrote:Welcome aboard. Give it a minute and I’m sure Saddlesore will chime in with some good info for you.

Keep in mind you have to make 3 posts before you can send or receive PMs (hint hint)

Keep in mind also that Saddlesore is out of commission for a bit gettin a new shoulder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Backyard

Postby Elkduds » 12 20, 2017 •  [Post 9]

Muzzy bull tags you would have both drawn last year (4-7 NR pps): units 20, 48, 54, 55, 69, 501. It could take years, or never, to get into the upper tier units w point creep.

There is @ least a 50% chance of significant point jump in '18 for NRs, here's why. CPW is considering allowing you to apply for tags without paying/waiting for refund if not drawn. If this proposal is approved, expect the NR point creep to grow like the federal deficit, because it will cost nothing to apply for $651 NR licenses.

Thinking out loud: If it has to be muzzy, one of you draws a bull tag in '18, the other draws a cow tag in same unit. Then in '19, same unit, switch the bull and cow tags. Can't eat them horns, plus you get to hunt 2 years together and learn the unit better.

If it doesn't have to be muzzy, there are some either sex rifle tags you can draw to improve odds of harvest.

Also, call the pros; CPW Hunt Planners, 303-291-PLAN (7526). Free call, good general info to get you started.

Good luck, welcome to our campfire.
Elkduds

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Scott

Postby saddlesore » 12 23, 2017 •  [Post 10]

95% of newer elk hunters think they can take 300 bull hunting CO and do that on public land. Hunting success for all elk is about 20% , less for ML and even less for archery. Plus 90% of the elk are taken by 10% of the hunters that do it every year. Since you have already hunted 3 times with no success, set you sights on any legal bull and be proud if you tag one or even a cow. It took me 21 years to draw a tag in a trophy area and even then I took a 343 bull. If I knew where I could take a 300 bull I would have been doing it for years.

Get on the CPW web site and look at last year's draw statistics to see what units you could draw a tag for and choose one that requires 1 or 2 points less than what you have.

If 300 is your minimum.start looking at private ranches and guided hunts with a base line of $5000 for the hunt. CO manages their elk for quantity not quality . Those big bulls don't have an opportunity to live 5-6 years. Some do exist, but get darn smart if they live past 3 years.

Any outfitter that says they can get you a 300 bull on public land ,or even private is blowing smoke up your ha-ha.

This might not be what you want to hear,but it is the truth as I know it.
saddlesore

Postby Swede » 12 23, 2017 •  [Post 11]

Welcome back Saddlesore. I guess you did ok. Anyway it is good to read your post even if you had to do it one handed.
Swede

Postby saddlesore » 12 24, 2017 •  [Post 12]

Swede. Had some problems. Still fuzzy from the anesthetic. Too detailed to post here, but at least I'm still on the green grass side.

Right now, it is better living thru chemistry
saddlesore

Postby Scott69 » 12 24, 2017 •  [Post 13]

I like elkduds idea of going one year each.With one having a bull and one with a cow tag.Personally,I'd say you let yourself get into no man's land.Your 7 pts aren't much better the say 4 pts imo.You don't have enough for a better then average muzzleloader hunt.BUT,you do have enough points for a decent bowhunt.I'd look at a unit 66 bowhunt and scrap the muzzleloader.
Or,you can draw a unit 12 1st rifle tag as a 2nd choice.You can hunt unit 12 for 2 years while you build points for a muzzy hunt there.That would be my choice if it HAS to be a muzzy hunt.You should really look into archery tags though.Way longer season in units that do hold 300" bulls in the point range you have.I spent mine in unit 49 last year and had a great hunt.My son will draw it this year and I know the unit good now.I'm am very confident he will get a chance at multiple bulls
Scott69

Postby Swede » 12 24, 2017 •  [Post 14]

Saddlesore: I have come to realize surgeons are much better at taking you apart than they are at putting you back together. May the Lord heal you. We need your wit and wisdom.
Swede

Postby PublicLandCarnivore » 12 29, 2017 •  [Post 15]

Hi all, also new here, but glad too see I'm not the only one climbing the walls and waiting for September. I have burned up a fair amount of boot leather in CO though. As too the question at hand, i would try a unit that you can draw without points and look for an eager rag-horn or fat freezer cow- save the points. Some really great units with high numbers and good draw odds.
PublicLandCarnivore

Postby Swede » 12 29, 2017 •  [Post 16]

Welcome to the forum Publicland. Join in the campfire conversations, and let RJ know you are here so he can send you one of his coveted bumper stickers.
Swede

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 12 29, 2017 •  [Post 17]

Yes sir, welcome Carnivore. Glad to have you on board.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby TennMatt » 01 01, 2018 •  [Post 18]

Study the data. CPW publishes harvest and participation data for each GMU. Its only available as a pdf so sorting it is a little difficult unless it is hand-entered into Xcel.

Matt
TennMatt