Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Wyoming

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Wyoming

Postby Indian Summer » 12 23, 2017 •  [Post 1]

With New Years Eve just around the corner it’ll be 30 days until the application deadline. When you’re planning a hunt time flies and January will be gone in the blink of an eye. If you have even 1 point in Wyoming chances are you can draw a general license. 2 will guarantee it.

I have some excellent DIY elk hunt plans available right now. Most of them are for general areas with no grizzlies and little to no wolves. See the website for details and feel free to ask any questions you might have. Merry Christmas to everyone. Be safe and enjoy your time off with family and friends.

Joe
Headin West Hunt Consulting
www.headinwest.net
joe@headinwest.net
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Re: Wyoming

Postby Tigger » 12 23, 2017 •  [Post 2]

Joe this is a new year and many think there may have been a point dump last year. However not everyone drew the general tag with two points. I think it was under 20%. There has been some serious point creep on that tag in th last few years. I understand they are thinking about increasing the number of nonresident tags. Curious to hear what you have heard on that. We have 3 so we should draw this year.
Tigger

Postby Indian Summer » 12 23, 2017 •  [Post 3]

2 points will lock in a general license in the regular draw. If you look at the number of applicants that had 1.5 last year and factor in how many drew tags you can figure it out. Price increase won’t have an affect in my opinion but if it fid odds would only get better. Everyone with 2 points drew last year. Not sure what you are looking at. The one thing that did change from the year before is that in the special draw mot all applicants with 1 point drew a tag. Not sure what will happen with that this year.
Indian Summer

Postby Ben Nicholson » 12 23, 2017 •  [Post 4]

I’m sitting on 9 points, will probably burn them next year. Do you have plans in harder to draw units?
Ben Nicholson

Postby Indian Summer » 12 24, 2017 •  [Post 5]

Yep!
Indian Summer

Postby Scott69 » 12 24, 2017 •  [Post 6]

My guess is the tag increase in the special draw will be too much for most to want to spend on a general tag.I don't think it will effect the limited tags as much but will a little esp. in the special draw.Just look at Montana a few years back and you'll see what I'm talking about.That sticker shock takes a few years to get use to and there you got a deer tag as well.So, I'm banking on being able to once again get my general tag as a 2nd,yes 2nd, choice in the special draw.But I hope to draw my 1st choice in special draw.But $1300 is crazy for a tag.Lucky for me there's only 51 cards in my deck
Guess we'll see if I'm right in 2 months
Scott69

Postby Indian Summer » 12 24, 2017 •  [Post 7]

People who were willing to shell out last year’s price for a special general tag wont blink an eye at the cost this year. Addicts find a way to get what they (we :D) want. I can GUARANTEE you will NOT draw a general license even in the special draw as a 2nd choice because some people with 1 point didn’t draw it as a 1st pick last year. Don’t count on that for a tag!
Indian Summer

Postby Scott69 » 12 26, 2017 •  [Post 8]

question for you,can I apply for type 1 tag and make another application for a type 6 tag??I thought you can do that but I've never tried before.I did a type 6 application a couple years ago so I wouldn't use my points and still would have a tag for my sons first elk trip 2 years ago.Im not sure if I can do a dual application though.I know in Wyoming that I can have 1 type 1 tag and up to 2 type 4 or type 6 tags.That's why I ask,thanks
Scott69

Postby Scott69 » 12 27, 2017 •  [Post 9]

Figured it out myself,lol.
Scott69

Postby Wapitibob » 12 28, 2017 •  [Post 10]

You won't draw a special gen as a 2nd choice in 2018.
There were 400 quota balance licenses added last year, same as 2017. There will need to be a reduction of 500 gen apps or 500 drawn full price nr licenses for a singe person to draw as a 2nd choice.
Wapitibob

Postby Joe Schmo » 01 10, 2018 •  [Post 11]

My app is in!! After years dreaming of blasting a big beautiful bugling bull on October 1st with a rifle I applied for a type 9 hunt :)
Joe Schmo

Postby Wyo67 » 01 11, 2018 •  [Post 12]

Joe Schmo wrote:My app is in!! After years dreaming of blasting a big beautiful bugling bull on October 1st with a rifle I applied for a type 9 hunt :)

Can't tell whether you're joking or not... You know type 9 is archery only right?
Wyo67

Postby Joe Schmo » 01 11, 2018 •  [Post 13]

What's an "archery"? Is that a unit?
Not joking...after digging into it seems to me that my best odds at a BIG bull will come from a stick and string hunt :) Also it's hard to beat calling bulls in...
Joe Schmo

Postby Indian Summer » 01 11, 2018 •  [Post 14]

Blasting a bull with a rifle on my stick and string hunt. I be confoosed..... :?: :shock: :?:
Indian Summer