Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Idaho A tag units

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Idaho A tag units

Postby Scott69 » 12 24, 2017 •  [Post 1]

I've never been to Idaho but would like to go either this year,if Wyoming has no love for me,or next year.So I've narrowed down to 3 management areas,Beaverhead,Lehi and Diamond Creek.Basically want to know about the elk populations in those zones and the hunting pressure.I am looking at units 30,30A ,29,76
I'm pretty good at finding elk,thanks to elknuts scouting video.Also,if pressure is high,can I lose the pressure easy enough with my boots??Normally after a mile walk it's just me and the elk but I did run into guys further in then normal in Montana a few years back.So I'm wondering if the Idaho guys are like them or more like the majority of colorado hunters that stick close to trailheads.
Scott69

Re: Idaho A tag units

Postby Elkhunttoo » 12 24, 2017 •  [Post 2]

I know very little about those units, I've never hunted them. As far as guys back in over a mile, that just depends on the group you are next too. I have ran into people way back In and hunted by myself not far in. If you are archery hunting it seems like the archery hunters are willing to work WAY harder then the rifle hunters in the areas I hunt. Sorry I have no info on the area
Elkhunttoo

Postby Lefty » 12 25, 2017 •  [Post 3]

I chase around in each of those areas ATVing even though Diamond creek is close I spend the least time in that area.

If I didnt hunt where I do, and did, one of those units is where I would hunt but mostly because of proximity all less than 2 hours from my place.
Each area has good bulls.
Diamond creek is a little flatter :lol: by Idaho standards and timber is denser with less huntable open area. Each area gets a fair amount of pressure.
Beaverhead has less trail head access and way more open country on the Idaho side, than the other two.
What Ive discovered hunting Idaho to be alone, or more alone you need to go in places only the very best horseman are willing to go, that means steep and rocky more than distance. Each area has reasonable ATV access; Beaverhead had more dead end trailheads
Overall all three are targeted heavily by OOS because of over the counter tags and on the east side of the state, easy access, close lodging decent elk numbers.

This is just me maybe. But if I am not working ( retired) next year I would be packing into a wilderness area. I would rather have fewer and better elk interactions than too many other hunters
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Scott69 » 12 26, 2017 •  [Post 4]

thanks,that response was really helpful and gave me a feel of what each area has to offer.You said Beaverhead zone is more open.Would the elk be in those open areas?After watching land of the free I was super surprised to see them calling in elk in that sage country in Sept in Idaho.
Im really interested in giving Idaho a try.I think it will be less crowded then Otc archery in Colorado.Looks like Montana will be back to draw only for combo tags.That was my main last resort tag if I failed in all the draws.So I'm looking at Idaho as my back up tag.Plus,I've never been there and am interested in seeing your state.Was hoping elknuts or his kid could chime in and give me some more imfo about those zones
Just want to make sure I'd have an decent trip.I have no problem carrying my camp in a few miles.You think I'd have a better trip in the sawtooth or Lolo zones??I thought elk numbers were way down in those units.But if crowding is a problem in the units I originally mentioned I'd be stupid not to follow your advise
Scott69

Postby Lefty » 12 26, 2017 •  [Post 5]

The Beaverhead had lots of Big Sky and open country and easier glassing. I havent spent any part of Sept Oct or November,
I would look at it as a great place to ATV into then hike another mile or two for camp. Elevation could be your friend. However during the rifle season many parts get hunted by fellows with good mountain horses and they will ride the ridges looking for elk.
I dont know about horse traffic in that area during archery. However I also look at such open country that will draw hunters that like "views".
But there are sweet timber "pockets where someone with legs would often be alone.
One other "problem" is often glassing or hiking,, you will see game in the adjoining state :lol:
Ive spent time in the Sawtooths Hiking and ATVing and drive through Lolo. But I dont have good info for you.
My suggestion if you dont mind packing in your camp, using a topo find those places others wont go. Sleep in and start fresh hunting right from camp.
Truely if I stay "retired" I might back pack into a wilderness area.
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Fridaythe13th » 12 27, 2017 •  [Post 6]

I think I can narrow it down to 2 units for you unless your going through a outfitter. Diamond creek is sold out of tags for 2018. We did hunt Lemhi 1 year we got 1 elk with bow see a far amount of elk and hunters. But it was the year of fires and Lemhi did not have any fires so that might be the reason there was so many hunters.
Fridaythe13th

First Name: Eric
Last Name: S

Postby Old school » 12 27, 2017 •  [Post 7]

We've hunted Colorado for 2 straight years and then went to Idaho last year because its rumored there is much less pressure. We actually saw more people in Idaho including a couple guys we met 3+ miles back from the nearest road. (We bugled them in on a rainy afternoon hunt when we were positive that no-one else would be out hunting, much less back in this remote basin). My advice would be this - find a spot and then spend the time to learn it. Learn how the elk will respond to the human pressure. If you jump around for the next 5 years trying to find a place that is remote and has no pressure and is on public land - make sure to capture the pink unicorns that you find there as well.

Not trying to be a smart aleck, just advice based upon my experiences.

--Mitch
Old school

Postby Scott69 » 12 27, 2017 •  [Post 8]

Not really trying to jump around.I am kind of making a 3-4 year hunt plan.I have spots in Colorado,Wyoming and Montana for general tags.I've been building points in wyoming,colorado and Arizona to hunt certain draw units when I reach the points needed.So rather then hunt otc tags in Colorado I was looking to try idaho.I guess I was looking for that pink unicorn there.
All I asked was elk populations and hunting pressure,terrain.I appreciate the guys that gave a reasonable answer to my questions.I apologize that I actually enjoy going to new states to see how I like it.Obviously I'm aware that learning a certain area ups your odds.But ALOT of things can change year to year with sold out tags,point creep,forest fires ect. that I like to have options in a few states.I seemed to have bothered you asking an elk hunting question in the elk forum.
I guess I'll just watch the show from now on instead of engaging in conversation
Scott69

Postby Old school » 12 27, 2017 •  [Post 9]

Scott - sorry you took offense to my response as it wasn’t intended that way at all. I could go back and quote you but you can go back and look at what you posted in regards to questions about getting away from hunters and how far back you’d have to go in Idaho. You also stated the heavy OTC pressure you experienced in Colorado and wanting to get away from that. My response was simply my experience based on both YOUR questions/responses. I had the same thought last year as you’re having now - Go to Idaho and get off the trails and you’ll see less pressure. I tried it last year and it was not reality for me at all. And I considered 2 of the areas you are asked about. You asked questions and I gave answers based on experience. Who knows, maybe you’ll go to Idaho and you’ll find exactly what you’re looking for.

—Mitch
Old school