Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Something New

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Something New

Postby Swede » 12 27, 2017 •  [Post 1]

The new year is coming very soon and it is a time to consider changes. Maybe that diet, or exercise program are on the short list. Maybe it is a book you need to read, but have put off. BTW: I have a bunch of those.
Anyway what do you plan to change this next year that will improve your hunt? It does not have to improve your chances at success, but can simply make the hunt more enjoyable in some way.

I want to scout a few new areas. Some are close to where I have hunted for years, and some are farther away. I will be sticking with Oregon, but have a lot to think and plan on. The bottom line for me is to try out that new Kuiu Icon Pro pack and put it to full use.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: Something New

Postby saddlesore » 12 27, 2017 •  [Post 2]

I'm going to invest in some Ultra light gear to get my panniers down in weight. tent, wood stove, sleeping pad, sleeping bag. Thereby hoping to get back into where the elk are like I use to do
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Swede » 12 27, 2017 •  [Post 3]

Your mules will love you Saddlesore. :D
Swede

Postby Lefty » 12 27, 2017 •  [Post 4]

some time this summer I plan to create a spike camp or cache so we can hunt later in the day. I really dont like strolling around too much in the dark.
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Old school » 12 27, 2017 •  [Post 5]

Swede- mine seems to be the same every year. Get in better shape than I was last year and become a better caller. I will also take it easier on the first 2 days of the hunt and ease into it. Really messed up my knees on day 1 last year because I pushed it too hard on day 1 in brutal terrain in Idaho.

—Mitch
Old school

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 12 27, 2017 •  [Post 6]

A few things, thank you for asking ;). Looks like I "may" be returning to my roots, as in pack in wilderness hunting. Gotta go through my lightweight gear list and make sure I have what is needed so I survive the adventure; definitely need to continue my workouts through the winter, spring, and maximize them next summer so I can hang with my younger hunting buddy for packing in, hunting, and ultimately packing out critters; and lastly.... with the tags we grabbed, gotta become proficient, to a fault, with the weapon I'll be using in SEP 18. It seems the max range we will be shooting next year has increased exponentially from what I've been accustomed to for the past many years :D.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Swede » 12 27, 2017 •  [Post 7]

RJ: It sure looks like 2018 should be a great opportunity for you and your partner. Think how many critters you could have brought home if you did not have to contend with a limb in the way at 30 yards.

Mitch, I don't know why, but lately have been thinking about you and your ministry in Missouri. I suppose working in the Bible Belt makes being a pastor like having a piece of cake. Just one big vacation, huh. :D
Swede

Postby Old school » 12 28, 2017 •  [Post 8]

Swede - yes, you about nailed it! I certainly enjoy what I do, a ministry not without challenges, but with eternal benefits. I’m inbetween jobs now as far as my “second” job goes though. Company restructured and eliminated a bunch of positions and since I worked as a remote buyer, mine was one of the eliminated positions. That was 3 months ago. No doors opening up yet, waiting on The Lord for guidance. So I’m patiently waiting for that job that gives 3 weeks vacation for various ministry duties and 3 weeks for personal - (1 for family vacation and 2 for elk out west with my sons). :-)

Appreciate your posts Swede.

—Mitch
Old school

Postby Backyard » 12 28, 2017 •  [Post 9]

I want to learn to be more proficient with a reed and bugle tube. I've already started with the commuter calling as it were in the truck on the way to and from work. 9 more months of this and I should be belting out tunes to hunt by :D
Backyard

Postby Indian Summer » 12 28, 2017 •  [Post 10]

Time for a spike camp. I’m going to leave a cache for future years because the spot consistently holds good bulls. But I want heat. Considering an Alaknak or similar. You just can’t be there early and late on too many consecutive days.

Any suggestions from you ultra light guys on a suitable tent with a stove jack that doesn’t require a second mortgage?
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby elkstalker » 12 28, 2017 •  [Post 11]

This year will definitely be new for me! We just moved from ID to MT, and although this is where I learned to elk hunt, a lot has changed. Looking forward to lots of scouting this summer, and trying to keep in good shape through the winter. My kids have become my new workout buddies which is helping me stay accountable! Yesterday my 10 year old daughter ran 2 miles straight for the first time ever! And my 8 year old son is a burpee and sit up champ, at this rate I won't be able to keep up with them for long
elkstalker

Postby saddlesore » 12 28, 2017 •  [Post 12]

Indian Summer wrote:Time for a spike camp. I’m going to leave a cache for future years because the spot consistently holds good bulls. But I want heat. Considering an Alaknak or similar. You just can’t be there early and late on too many consecutive days.

Any suggestions from you ultra light guys on a suitable tent with a stove jack that doesn’t require a second mortgage?

Look into these folk stent and stove. The Cimmaron tent and their medium sized titanium wood stove.

Luke Kessler put me on to them

https://seekoutside.com/
saddlesore

Postby Indian Summer » 12 28, 2017 •  [Post 13]

I’ve looked at that already. A bit pricey. I’d never buy a stove that couldn’t hold heat for half the night either. It will always be a cylinder stove for me. I never was much for 4 or 6 cylinder car engines, health food, or light beer. I’m mostly interested in the tent. Thanks for the feedback though partner.
Indian Summer

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 12 28, 2017 •  [Post 14]

Indian Summer wrote:I’ve looked at that already. A bit pricey. I’d never buy a stove that couldn’t hold heat for half the night either. It will always be a cylinder stove for me. I never was much for 4 or 6 cylinder car engines, health food, or light beer. I’m mostly interested in the tent. Thanks for the feedback though partner.

The LiteOutdoors, Seek Outside, Kifaru, and TiGoat lightweight/packable stoves will all do the job in a modest sized tent or tipi/tarp. Nope, they're really not all night burners but with a bit of strategic wood staging and stove tending, it'll keep your arse warm throughout the night and provide a clothes drying tool. I know you're a tent guy (and will be using ponies to get in/out) so the Alaknak sounds like a good choice. Happy shopping ;)
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Swede » 12 28, 2017 •  [Post 15]

If really light and having a stove jack is what you need, Kuiu has what may work for under $200.
Swede

Postby Indian Summer » 12 28, 2017 •  [Post 16]

I guess I should be a bit more clear. While I am interested in life ghter than canvas the main reason I’m looking for an alternative to the ultimate material is because you can’t cache canvas. It will mildew and rot. So my real goal is to fund a waterproof relite or other tent that I can put a cylinder stove in. An Alaknak is pricey! I’ll look into those Kuiu Swede thanks. Haven’t checked them out.
Indian Summer

Postby Swede » 12 28, 2017 •  [Post 17]

Joe, I misunderstood what you were after and the weight issue. The Kuiu is a great looking backpackers tent. It is about 1 1/2 pounds without the stove pipe jack. I think your horse would feel insulted with no more weight than it has. You would have to throw some rocks in the sack and hope the horse did not notice where the weight came from.
Swede

Postby Lefty » 12 28, 2017 •  [Post 18]

Joe my BIL had a wall tent made out of Cordura, tougher than nails , and could be stored wet :roll:
Lefty

Postby Indian Summer » 12 29, 2017 •  [Post 19]

Lefty wrote:Joe my BIL had a wall tent made out of Cordura, tougher than nails , and could be stored wet :roll:

Brilliant! I’m definitely going to look into that. Any idea where he got it? Thanks Lefty!
Indian Summer

Postby Indian Summer » 12 29, 2017 •  [Post 20]

I’m back! Lefty you started a landslide of research. I’m now waiting on a call from Buckstitch Canvas. They have a product called Li Tent. A 10 by 10 wall tent is only 30 pounds that sells for $660. Not too bad for a wall tent. Im going to get a price on their spike tent with 4 foot walls which will be even lighter and more importantly compact so I can squeeze it into my watertight cache container.

If you saw where I am going to stash this setup you’d understand why I’m so excited. Woopeeeee!!!
Indian Summer

Postby saddlesore » 12 29, 2017 •  [Post 21]

When you said spike camp, I thought you meant something small and light. I just sold my SIMS fold up wood stove, It would burn all night after getting god base of dirt and ashes in it. Total shipping weight was 30 pounds, 4x 24" x 24" including nested stove pipe.Any of this sort of stuff is pricey. A lot of different materials will not rot if left wet,but will accumulate mold on hem. That isn't healthy stuff. I guess I would be more inclined to research more about ways in keeping it dry than what it is made of.

One of those military 6 man squad tents without the inner liner goes about 30 pounds and only takes one center pole. This tent has bout an 8 ft peak, 2 ft walls, about 10 ft oxagonal, stove jack, and one person can put it up easily. Very good in high winds. I always tarp my tents as none are truly waterproof.

DSCN0337.JPG
DSCN0337.JPG (487.65 KiB) Viewed 34395 times
saddlesore

Postby Indian Summer » 12 29, 2017 •  [Post 22]

I tarp mine too Saddlesore. To keep it dry, to keep me dry, and just as importantly to keep any falling embers from burning pinholes in it. The non canvas tents all have condensation issues. But with a good wood stove and by leaving vents and even the door open before I break camp I think I can get it pretty dry before I put it away. I like the small size of a spike tent but I’m not a fan of center poles. I like a solid ridgepole made of lodgepole ratcheted to two trees instead of a lodgepole A frame at each end. To be honest if I have a wall tent that only weighs 30 pounds I might just pack it out.

The trusty steel cylinder stove will stay! Nothing beats them for a heat source.
Indian Summer

Postby saddlesore » 12 29, 2017 •  [Post 23]

Around here in rifle season, the problem is drying out the bottom 6"or so of the tent because of snow on the ground. Typically it needs to be hung in the barn or garage until it dries.

image.jpg
image.jpg (60.81 KiB) Viewed 34385 times
saddlesore

Postby Tigger » 12 29, 2017 •  [Post 24]

Okay boys, just STOP IT! Those pictures are giving premature elk fever. It is 9+ months to go and you just cannot be doing this to me. It ain't fair. I will tell RJ on you if you don't stop being mean to me.
Tigger

Postby Indian Summer » 12 29, 2017 •  [Post 25]

Believe me Saddlesore I know the spots that take a week to dry. I used to have to dry 20 wall tents at the end of a season. Yuk! I’m sure you know all the tricks and the best thing you can do to avoid a lomg dry at the bottom of the walls is overhang the tarp 3 feet down the guide ropes on both sides. I’ve placed a log along the bottom of the back wall too to keep snow off of it.
Attachments
9F62E663-34CE-4A8D-836B-AF6280D0EC48.jpeg
9F62E663-34CE-4A8D-836B-AF6280D0EC48.jpeg (78.09 KiB) Viewed 34381 times
Indian Summer

Postby Indian Summer » 12 29, 2017 •  [Post 26]

^^^For you Tigger!^^^ :D
Indian Summer

Postby saddlesore » 12 29, 2017 •  [Post 27]

Indian Summer wrote:Believe me Saddlesore I know the spots that take a week to dry. I used to have to dry 20 wall tents at the end of a season. Yuk! I’m sure you know all the tricks and the best thing you can do to avoid a lomg dry at the bottom of the walls is overhang the tarp 3 feet down the guide ropes on both sides. I’ve placed a log along the bottom of the back wall too to keep snow off of it.

Notice the long overhang on those two tents
saddlesore

Postby Trumkin the Dwarf » 12 29, 2017 •  [Post 28]

You boys and your wall tents have me seriously itchin to git back up in them mountains! I might just have to talk the wife into some 'harses' for the backyard. You think they'd mind being big city Texas horses? :lol:
Trumkin the Dwarf

First Name: Malachi
Last Name: C

Postby Indian Summer » 12 29, 2017 •  [Post 29]

saddlesore wrote:Notice the long overhang on those two tents
[/quote]

Yes sir buddy I saw that!
Indian Summer

Postby Roosiebull » 12 31, 2017 •  [Post 30]

Got a new bow, getting another new pack, I'm sure some new clothes, boots... I'm sure there is more, I love spending money anticipating Sept :D

A new year in itself is refreshing, 17' was kind of a rough one, hunting was good, but life took some fun out of it. Happy to walk into 18' !
Roosiebull

Postby Lefty » 01 02, 2018 •  [Post 31]

Indian Summer wrote:
Lefty wrote:Joe my BIL had a wall tent made out of Cordura, tougher than nails , and could be stored wet :roll:

Brilliant! I’m definitely going to look into that. Any idea where he got it? Thanks Lefty!

He had a locale tent and awning supply store in Utah's Cache Valley make it. Well my sister in law had it made fro him. It was a bigger tent ( we slept 8, with 4 on cots). The cost wasnt much more than a new tent.
Lefty

Postby Lefty » 01 02, 2018 •  [Post 32]

Indian Summer wrote:,...
If you saw where I am going to stash this setup you’d understand why I’m so excited. Woopeeeee!!!

Ive mentioned this before . I sold an overnight emergency Cache to a fellow years back. 3000 feet above my house and less than 2 miles away I could see the tree from my house
A military feather sleeping bag, Contractor garbage sacks, matches, candles, lighters chunks from one of those wax sawdust logs, food water, Ace bandage.

I think Now I will look for a tent at a Youth Ranch store or Deseret Industries .

I bought a 10 man Sams club $550 tent for $5.00. Hm maybe that's the tent Ill pack in , Stake out and ready to "pole up"
Lefty

Postby Lefty » 01 02, 2018 •  [Post 33]

saddlesore wrote:Around here in rifle season, the problem is drying out the bottom 6"or so of the tent because of snow on the ground. Typically it needs to be hung in the barn or garage until it dries.]

:lol: :lol: :lol:
When I lived in Utah a fellow who was the Boy Scoutmaster designed and built an extra car bay for drying tents :o :shock:
Lefty

Postby Tigger » 01 02, 2018 •  [Post 34]

Thanks Joe, I really appreciated that picture..... :x :lol: :oops: :cry: :shock: :o :( ;) :D
Tigger

Postby Roosiebull » 01 03, 2018 •  [Post 35]

to keep this theme alive, i'm going to the Toyota dealership tommorrow :shock: went and talked to them today, bringing my pickup in tomorrow, if they are fair with me, I may be getting a new pickup. pretty nervous, never owned a brand new rig, and never had a car payment, but it would be nice to start from scratch, and the 18' Tacoma is a very nice rig...... I made a mistake a couple weeks ago and drove my sister in law's and that got the wheels turning (the little rusty ones with bald tires in my head :lol: )
Roosiebull

Postby saddlesore » 01 04, 2018 •  [Post 36]

Wanting a new truck is like wanting a new gun. A fellow can sure find a lot wrong with the old one, once the bug of buying new one sets in. You will really like that new truck. My wife is on here 2nd Tacoma
saddlesore

Postby Tigger » 01 04, 2018 •  [Post 37]

curious what a Tacoma gets for mileage? I am a Ford guy and love my 150 but just wondering.
Tigger

Postby saddlesore » 01 04, 2018 •  [Post 38]

We get abut 22 MPG out of our 2004, V6
saddlesore

Postby Roosiebull » 01 04, 2018 •  [Post 39]

saddlesore wrote:Wanting a new truck is like wanting a new gun. A fellow can sure find a lot wrong with the old one, once the bug of buying new one sets in. You will really like that new truck. My wife is on here 2nd Tacoma

haha, you are spot on :lol:
Roosiebull

Postby Swede » 01 04, 2018 •  [Post 40]

I see Ford is coming out soon with the new Ranger truck. They will offer a couple of diesel engines which should be great for those wanting extra miles per gallon. I am not wild about diesel but some people love theirs.
Swede

Postby Old school » 01 04, 2018 •  [Post 41]

Swede - a ranger with a diesel in it - interesting. Tell me they are resurrecting the old 7.3 for the ranger :-)

-Mitch
Old school

Postby Roosiebull » 01 04, 2018 •  [Post 42]

Swede wrote:I see Ford is coming out soon with the new Ranger truck. They will offer a couple of diesel engines which should be great for those wanting extra miles per gallon. I am not wild about diesel but some people love theirs.

I almost waited on ford, I heard they are releasing a ranger raptor, but i'm guessing they will be mid 40k like the chevy Colorado ZR2, and will not have good resale, so I stuck with what seemed sensible, another Toyota... my 6th Toyota pickup, and 3rd Tacoma TRD, the new one is AWESOME. not lifting this one, staying stock height.
Roosiebull

Postby Swede » 01 04, 2018 •  [Post 43]

I think leaving a Toyota stock is the best idea. Personally I like a little life on the drop frame half ton Chevys/GMCs, but Ford, Dodge, Toyota are high enough. Leave messing with what the engineers have tested and proven to the kids.

Sorry Mitch, the 7.3 is history. It has gone the way of the flat heads and Y blocks.
Swede

Postby Roosiebull » 01 04, 2018 •  [Post 44]

Old school wrote:Swede - a ranger with a diesel in it - interesting. Tell me they are resurrecting the old 7.3 for the ranger :-)

-Mitch

haha!

7.3 is about as solid as motors could get. my boss has a 2000' 1 ton ford with a 7.3, he is pushing, if not over 400k miles, and lots of those miles are towing a 15k lb boat around, still going strong. he might be the reason ford quit offering lifetime oil change options :lol: he has got his money out of that pickup, with no real talk of getting a new one.
Roosiebull

Postby Roosiebull » 01 05, 2018 •  [Post 45]

before
Attachments
07taco.jpg
07taco.jpg (208.34 KiB) Viewed 34213 times
Roosiebull

Postby Roosiebull » 01 05, 2018 •  [Post 46]

after :D
Attachments
18taco.jpg
18taco.jpg (226.51 KiB) Viewed 34213 times
Roosiebull

Postby Swede » 01 05, 2018 •  [Post 47]

Nice truck Roosie. I like both the before and after pics. It looks like you got an extra two doors and rid of a door dent.
Swede

Postby Tigger » 01 05, 2018 •  [Post 48]

but you lost some box space.....oooo that may come back to haunt ya! I don't even know if you can fit the size of a bull that you typically shoot in there! You might need to make 2 or 3 trips.

Now you certainly need some woodgrain panel siding on there and a set of Texas Longhorns for the front. Then you will be set.
Tigger

Postby Roosiebull » 01 05, 2018 •  [Post 49]

Tigger wrote:but you lost some box space.....oooo that may come back to haunt ya! I don't even know if you can fit the size of a bull that you typically shoot in there! You might need to make 2 or 3 trips.

Now you certainly need some woodgrain panel siding on there and a set of Texas Longhorns for the front. Then you will be set.

they had a 4 door with the 6ft bed, but I decided on the 5'. I don't think I will miss it, and I will appreciate it being less light in the back end. the 07' was pretty easy to get sliding around, I think this configuration will handle better, and the shorter the better for the woods.

I also figure it will make my bulls look bigger :lol:
Roosiebull

Postby Roosiebull » 01 05, 2018 •  [Post 50]

Swede wrote:Nice truck Roosie. I like both the before and after pics. It looks like you got an extra two doors and rid of a door dent.

might be lighting, the 07' had a straight body, no dents that were noticeable, just a couple small dings that were hard to see.

about the 3rd day I had my tundra a few couple yrs ago, I got a pretty big door dent, log cut out of a road, it was tight, and I fell off a little dirt hump and slowly settled onto the log...doh!

I try to keep my rigs as nice as I can without effecting my fun, I don't keep them forever, and it's much easier selling a pickup that's not thrashed on.
Roosiebull

Postby Swede » 01 05, 2018 •  [Post 51]

My hunting vehicles all get scratches from brush that encroaches into the travel way of old roads. I guess I should walk more, but the old roads are too enticing to back away from. And they were still good last year, or was that several years ago? :D
Swede

Postby Roosiebull » 01 05, 2018 •  [Post 52]

i'm the same way. they get very scratched up, but just on the surface ;)
Roosiebull

Postby Old school » 01 06, 2018 •  [Post 53]

Took my Sequoia out to Idaho elk hunting last year and brought it back with scratches that run from the front quarter panel all the way back to the rear on both sides. One way dirt roads with sage on either side are killer on the clear coat. That would be the only reason I would shy away from a new truck. The Sequoia was new to me, but has 120,000 miles on it and is a 2010. My toyota minivan we bought new and it now has 310,000 on it and I’ve just done routine maintenance on it. I’m definitely a Toyota fan and a 7.3 fan as well :-)

Nice looking truck Roosie!

—Mitch
Old school

Postby Trumkin the Dwarf » 01 07, 2018 •  [Post 54]

New bow counts, right? I technically have been hunting with this since mid December, but it's the spirit that counts!

Trumkin the Dwarf

First Name: Malachi
Last Name: C

Postby Roosiebull » 01 07, 2018 •  [Post 55]

Nice!!!!

What is it?
Roosiebull

Postby Trumkin the Dwarf » 01 07, 2018 •  [Post 56]

Dan Toelke (Montana Bows) Super Static recurve. 2 pc, 64# @ 33"
Trumkin the Dwarf