Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

2018 Planning

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

2018 Planning

Postby Mathewsz7-elkridge » 12 28, 2017 •  [Post 1]

With draw deadlines quickly approaching I am looking for a little advice. I am trying to decide on what state to hunt. Idaho was a bust for me between the wolves, snow and rain. 12 days of hunting with 3 elk sightings and two call ins to 20 yards in a direction we couldn't see 10 yards. The fresh tracks in our tracks was the only reason we knew they were there.

I am pondering going the first week of Colorado to area I hunted two seasons ago. I was there the last week of the season then. Leaning the first week because the season closes the 23rd and the full moon is the 24th. What's your opinion on the timing of rutting activity? Is Colorado archery hunters going to miss out on the best rutting activity?

I have been thinking about going to Montana where I could hunt later and get more of the rut. Never hunted Montana though. What your thoughts or advice?!
Mathewsz7-elkridge

Re: 2018 Planning

Postby Swede » 12 28, 2017 •  [Post 2]

Matt, you are asking the age old question. Where should I go? How should I hunt the area?
I will suggest to you that not every area is conducive to calling. Many areas are good, and many areas are not. Wolves and excessive human predators work against the caller.
Even if there are fewer elk in a unit, I would look for a place where hunter and wolf density are limited. It sure helps to have a location where you can see more than 10 yards, but open areas have their own set of challenges. I would look for an area where the hunter success is better than average for several years and start there.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Old school » 12 28, 2017 •  [Post 3]

Matt I’ve hunted Colorado, Montana and Idaho. There is a lot of variation within each state much less from state to state. Where I hunted in Colorado in 2015 and 2016 there was a lot of deadfall and certain areas a 10 yard shot would have been the most you could shoot, then there were also big meadows the next GMU over which we also hunted. I hunted Idaho last year trying to get away from some of the Colorado pressure but we found just as many hunters in Idaho as we did in Colorado. And contrary to what I had heard, there were people back in 2-3 miles off trails and roads. A number of people had said get a half mile off the trails and you won’t see anyone in Idaho. Not what I found to be true at all. Some backpackers but also a lot of locals and non locals on horses - way back deep. The country we hunted there was pretty open. I did kill one in Montana in grizzly country. If Griz bother you, make sure your area in Montana is free of Griz. Montana also has a draw and last year not everyone drew like they had in the past so that’s another thing to consider.

I enjoy seeing new territory and states, but also think it’s important to have realistic expectations. I did a ton of research via Google Earth and other mapping programs in an attempt to get away from people and I haven’t been successful getting away from people yet. I think the best plan is to learn an area and how the elk respond to human pressure. Trying to find a spot that holds elk and hasn’t attracted hunters is akin to finding a pink unicorn. I’ve finally found an area that I enjoy hunting inspite of the pressure so now I’ve just got to learn how the elk respond to human pressure during Archery season. Hope this helps - sorry for the long winded response.

—Mitch
Old school

Postby Old school » 12 28, 2017 •  [Post 4]

One other thing I forgot to include. We hunted the 3rd and 4th weeks of archery season in Colorado. We only heard a couple bugles the 3rd week so we broke camp and moved to a new GMU and were into bugling Bulls the first night and we were using the exact same tactics as we had been the previous week. Last year in Idaho our hunt sounds like yours - wet and sloppy with rain/snow mixture most days. We hunted mid month for 10 days and heard very little bugling as well. I’d just pick a state you want to hunt and go do it regardless of the moon phase.

—Mitch
Old school

Postby Swede » 12 28, 2017 •  [Post 5]

Along the lines of what Mitch said, I would add; any place with a significant elk population and OTC tags for everyone, is most likely to have a significant hunter population, or it is extremely difficult to hunt. I think the area RJ and his friend have hunted falls into that second category. Even in hunting units with a fairly high hunter population there can be niches where you can often be alone. It will take some time and experience to find these spots that hold elk, and you have them to yourself. They are called honey holes. They are rare and are guarded from any public discussion, so you will have to find them on your own.
Swede

Postby Indian Summer » 12 29, 2017 •  [Post 6]

http://www.headinwest.net/DIY.html

Instead of hopping around from state try this. Montana has an easy to get license, long archery season, and if you want you can go back in gun season for any of the 5 weeks on the same license.

I’d be glad to give you contact info for guys who have used my Montana DIY plans recently if you’re interested.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby elkstalker » 12 29, 2017 •  [Post 7]

First off, you can't rule out a state simply because of "snow and rain", weather happens everywhere, and when it does, you have to deal with it. Secondly, you shouldn't rule out an entire state based on your experience at one spot or even one unit.

If wolves are an issue for you then Montana won't be any better than Idaho, and if you have experience in CO that may be your best bet.
elkstalker

Postby Mathewsz7-elkridge » 12 29, 2017 •  [Post 8]

The snow made it very easy to tell that the elk numbers were low and wolve numbers were high. We went to 7 different locations going 3 miles back. One time we even went 6 miles deep and did 15 miles in day. You shouldn't have to hunt that hard. We had snow on the ground for 8 days while hunting. Hunting in the snow made it easy to scout fresh sign.

Do you think the rut won't really heat up until after the CO archery season?
Mathewsz7-elkridge

Postby Swede » 12 29, 2017 •  [Post 9]

Mathewsz7-elkridge wrote:Do you think the rut won't really heat up until after the CO archery season?

Based on observation I will say the rut happens at the same time every year. With a few exceptions, that period takes in the last two weeks of September and early October. Weather can change how vocal the elk are, and regardless of weather, most breeding is done at night or early morning.
Swede

Postby Old school » 12 29, 2017 •  [Post 10]

2 years ago in Colorado they were bugling good the last week of Archery season - where we were. No telling what they were or were not saying the next GMU over though.

—Mitch
Old school

Postby scubohuntr » 01 03, 2018 •  [Post 11]

Instead of hopping around from state try this. Montana has an easy to get license, long archery season, and if you want you can go back in gun season for any of the 5 weeks on the same license.

I’d be glad to give you contact info for guys who have used my Montana DIY plans recently if you’re interested.

Noooo....

Montana is terrible! Rattlesnakes! Rabid chipmunks! Locusts! Stay in Utah and Colorado!
scubohuntr