Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Solo Archery hunting

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Solo Archery hunting

Postby Dr. Rx » 01 04, 2018 •  [Post 1]

Looking to discuss with those that do Solo Archery Hunting..

The Do's and Don'ts
General approach for calling in September
Anything you think would be helpful

Thanks

Kris
Dr. Rx

Re: Solo Archery hunting

Postby Roosiebull » 01 04, 2018 •  [Post 2]

stay aware of how far you are to your rig/camp. packing a bull solo is a daunting task. I have packed several out by myself, and it's very important to stay aware of where you are.

as far as calling, I will not be much help. it's generally pretty thick around here, so it's not difficult to force one into shooting range to come see you. I don't do a lot of calling (plan on more of it in the future) but I don't generally have a problem with bull hanging up, for reasons I stated above.

good luck, it's fun. I hunt solo 95% of the time by choice. if i'm trying to fill my tag, i'm hunting alone.
Roosiebull

Postby Swede » 01 04, 2018 •  [Post 3]

If I am going to hunt solo and call, then I plan to use a decoy. You can move after calling, but you can get busted too. I have hunted solo a lot, but having a buddy back in camp can be a real asset if you get something down or you ever get in trouble. Often I don't have a friend in camp, so I call home and let my wife know where I will basically be until she hears from me again.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Lefty » 01 04, 2018 •  [Post 4]

Are you one of us freaks that quite enjoy alone!! welcome!! 8-)

Ive hunted some remote lower 48 , wilderness, wildness study areas, the desert. Living in northern Utah I spent a lot of time in western Box Elder county. and truly enjoy isolated back country, and wee bit of Nevada.

Make sure someone or others know where you will be and your plan. More so if something happens , be aware of what could happen and what your needs will be if your stuck one two or three days.
That may mean a mental prep and physical supplies. The mental part could be bigger than any other parts. Some people the mental part is not of any concern.

Ive gone on too many hunts, hikes camps and fishing trips where Ive come across those who didnt have the mental ability to manage where they were or their situation.
Came across a horse few years back,.. the cowboy was 60 yards away whimpering like a three year old because he was lost. Down hill any direction were people
20 years back 7 hunters with three boats sunk a boat 1 1.2 miles to the launch, single digits, 2 guys soaking wet, big fire and hypothermia. Each were older than me. And I thought most were experienced :shock: outdoors man,. but they all panicked. Got the cold guys back to a truck safe
Ive talked hikers off of rocks where they froze.

"Be prepared" ( he was an Eagle Scout) A buddy got dropped out of a plane someplace Americans weren't welcomed. Broken ribs, back, hips legs. Lived on water and little white pills for three days and managed fine

That whole thing, " plan for the worst" and know what to do and have what you need and know how to use it.
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Indian Summer » 01 05, 2018 •  [Post 5]

As usual Lefty has some solid advice. Probably because he is older than dirt and has seen it all. He’s not one to brag but one time he remained calm while surrounded by angry Indians while riding ahead of Lewis and Clark. That was a little before his Eagle Scout days.

You are a smart guy Kris. So as far as calling and killing elk just use common sense. Always be ready to shoot when you are hunting. But to me the biggest aspect of solo hunting is the solitude. It has it’s pros and cons. You can’t come back to camp at night and say “What’s your opinion on this?” There’s nobody to pep talk you out of second guessing yourself. So I’d say being mentally prepared is the biggest thing. Never second guess yourself. When you have a plan carry it out with confidence. Remind yourself that success is even more of an accomplishment when you do it without help. If you have a slow day tell yourself tomorrow can only get better. If you need to hear a human voice go into town and get a burger and a beer and shoot the bull with a local or the bar tender. Never know what they might tell a solo hunter! Hunt every day like it’s day 1 and no matter what you’ll have no regrets. You might want to go on a few weekend solo camping trips over the summer so it’s not so new to you come hunting season. Good luck!
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby >>>---WW----> » 01 05, 2018 •  [Post 6]

I always hunt by my self. They way I look at it is, "I can mess things up all by myself. Don't need any help"! :lol: :lol: I always let someone know where I'll be hunting and after a bad fall a few years ago, I carry a PLB (personal locator beacon).

I always pack enough gear and grub to last me at least over night and into the next day. And I tell my wife not to worry if I don't return home until at least noon the next day.

When it comes to calling, just don't over do it. And my big trick when hunting solo has been learning how to direct traffic. Elk have an uncanny since of knowing where a sound is coming from even from far away. So the trick is to make them think you are where you aren't!

And never take your pack off when going after an elk. I did that once and ended up spending a couple of hours trying to find it. Damn camo!!!!!!!!! :o
>>>---WW---->

Postby jmez » 01 05, 2018 •  [Post 7]

Some good advice.

Don't do risky or dumb things. We all do it but when solo you need to be even more mindful of your safety.

The mental part is probably the biggest aspect of the equation. Some people it bothers, others it doesn't. I hunt solo a lot, both at home and the last few years in the mountains at times. I like the solitude. One of my hunting partners wouldn't do it. Different strokes. Only way to find out is to give it a try.

I second the Personal Locator Beacon. I would recommend you get an actual locator beacon rather than a Spot, Inreach type device or satellite phone. I did a lot of research into these after I had a accident. The PLB's are much, much more reliable. They use their own satellite system, the same ones our military uses, and if the battery is good will get a signal out and get you located. All of the other devices use commercial satellites and can be dependent on time of day, cloud cover and canopy overhead. Keep it close to your person and easily accessible at all times. It does you no good if you are broken and can't get to it.
jmez

First Name: jason
Last Name: mez

Postby Swede » 01 05, 2018 •  [Post 8]

>>>---WW----> wrote:And my big trick when hunting solo has been learning how to direct traffic. Elk have an uncanny since of knowing where a sound is coming from even from far away. So the trick is to make them think you are where you aren't!

I agree elk have more than an uncanny ability of knowing where the caller is. Even from long distances they can pinpoint your location. "Directing traffic" is something I have never been able to effectively do. Calling while pointing my grunt tube has been totally unproductive in the scheme of things. The elk still know exactly where I am. All I can do is set up so the terrain and vegetation forces or encourages the elk to come in a certain way, or I move off a few yards after calling. For me fooling an elk's ear has been both a real bugaboo. It has been a huge problem. Are you sure you are actually able to fool the elk, or are you managing yourself so the elk move to your advantage?
Swede

Postby Backyard » 01 05, 2018 •  [Post 9]

Swede wrote:
>>>---WW----> wrote:And my big trick when hunting solo has been learning how to direct traffic. Elk have an uncanny since of knowing where a sound is coming from even from far away. So the trick is to make them think you are where you aren't!

I agree elk have more than an uncanny ability of knowing where the caller is. Even from long distances they can pinpoint your location. "Directing traffic" is something I have never been able to effectively do. Calling while pointing my grunt tube has been totally unproductive in the scheme of things. The elk still know exactly where I am. All I can do is set up so the terrain and vegetation forces or encourages the elk to come in a certain way, or I move off a few yards after calling. For me fooling an elk's ear has been both a real bugaboo. It has been a huge problem. Are you sure you are actually able to fool the elk, or are you managing yourself so the elk move to your advantage?

I solo'd my last hunt for the first time and this was the toughest part. The best thing to do I think as it worked for me at times is to call then quickly re-position yourself slightly downwind from that calling position 20-40 yds.
As far as leaving your pack: I had the same happen to me once while goat hunting and I remedied it by hanging a blaze orange "flag" of sorts from the hydration bag hook inside my pack then I'd pull it out and drape it over the pack when I'd leave it making very easy to spot again. Worked great!

Good Luck!
Backyard

Postby Dr. Rx » 01 05, 2018 •  [Post 10]

This is why I love this Forum..
You guys are the best.

Thank you for giving such great advice.

Never knew about a personal Locator.. thanks Gentleman!

I just want to walk in the woods with my stick and have an encounter.

Kris
Dr. Rx

Postby jmez » 01 05, 2018 •  [Post 11]

jmez

First Name: jason
Last Name: mez

Postby >>>---WW----> » 01 05, 2018 •  [Post 12]

X-2 to the link jmez posted. If you ever have to push the button on one of these things, the cavalry is on the way! It is on the same satellite system as aircraft and ships and works anywhere in the world.
>>>---WW---->

Postby Lefty » 01 05, 2018 •  [Post 13]

Indian Summer wrote:,... he is older than dirt ,...

Joe Im calling you out I was born in May 58. :roll:
Ive just done plenty of stupid in my life to learn common sense.

Oh and the " dont drop your pack thing"
Dont drop your pack

Buy bright colored diaphragm calls , they are easier to find :roll:
Lefty

Postby saddlesore » 01 06, 2018 •  [Post 14]

Born in 58 huh? Your'e just a youngster yet, 43 here. :lol:

I think the biggest factor when hunting solo is to keep aware of where you are and know you physical limitations. I have met many hunters,archery, muzzy or rifle, that have killed their first elk and thought they could carry it out on their back.Then realized transporting 250-300 pounds of meat that way is a daunting task. Early warm seasons preclude hunting back in 7-10 miles. Thinking you can back pack all the meat out without losing some to spoilage is folly
saddlesore

Postby >>>---WW----> » 01 06, 2018 •  [Post 15]

More good advice from Saddlesore: But if you do decide to go in deep at all, It would be wise to have a packer lined up. The forest service will have a list of the LEGAL packers in the area you may want to hunt.
>>>---WW---->

Postby Swede » 01 06, 2018 •  [Post 16]

saddlesore wrote:Thinking you can back pack all the meat out without losing some to spoilage is folly

This is a good point folks. The fun is over when we stand over our dead elk and size it up. Realism sets in, and all of a sudden we recognize we have a huge task.
So, we take a few pictures and walk away. We know we can't get it out without spoilage, so why try. Too much work. It is hot and getting late. If we butcher it here alone, and start packing every muscle in our body will be crying out in pain well before we are through. We will not even be able to sleep due to the suffering our body will go through. Besides it will end the hunt.
Packing out an elk on an easy hunt is a lot of work. I hope my imaginary thought process above disgusts people that would push too far just to kill an elk. But that mentality must be real for at least some hunters. When I was a kid, a neighbor was fined for wasting. He took out a little and left a lot. I have seen critters left, and have talked to hunters that "lost" or left their game that was awfully suspicious.
Swede

Postby Indian Summer » 01 06, 2018 •  [Post 17]

Lefty wrote:

Ive just done plenty of stupid in my life to learn common sense.:

I was just being a smartass Lefty. It makes me feel younger when I call someone old. You’ll probably outlive me. You can be my pall bearer!
Indian Summer

Postby Lefty » 01 06, 2018 •  [Post 18]

Indian Summer wrote:
Lefty wrote:

Ive just done plenty of stupid in my life to learn common sense.:

I was just being a smartass Lefty. It makes me feel younger when I call someone old. You’ll probably outlive me. You can be my pall bearer!

I dont know about out living you. I have some bad genetic traits. :lol:
For some reason I thought you were my age. And I would be honored to serve as a pall bearer hopefully in 10 or 15 years or more.

A bit more serous note I lost one of my 4 nearest friends Christmas Day, and another hunting/trapping bud the last day in October. Sort of changes perspective.
I plan to and hope to be able to still stomp around, heck may even get a good horse for my daughter ;) to ride around.

I keep telling my wife I want to be like her Dad a few trips to Alaska in his 70"s, Killing an Idaho desert sheep at 79,
Moose deer and elk hunting in his late 80's.

Didnt mean to side track the thread. But a man needs to know what you cant do and shouldn't do.
So many of us think we are invincible, or can adjust or adapt etc. It even seems some guys dont know why they are hunting, or doing any of the activities they do. Ive hunted with a few guys They just cant enjoy the hunt.
Some of the most satisfying outdoor moments, One night I had a lot of elk every direction around me, A very warm evening. I sat in my chair for hours just listening to the elk talk back and forth.
Or the times napping in the sun on a muskrat house,
listening to the coyotes or wolves( yes that 4 or 5 letter word), or the total silence
Lefty

Postby Indian Summer » 01 07, 2018 •  [Post 19]

I like you Lefty. I wish you lived in Wyoming so we could share a camp sometime.
Indian Summer

Postby ishy » 01 07, 2018 •  [Post 20]

My biggest solo lesson this year was patience, for the ten thousandth time. After a pretty vocal calling session that had been quiet from the elk for quite a while I took my arrow off the string quivered it and started walking. I kid you not less than 5 seconds a cow's head appeared followed by a rag horn on her tail. I was on a logging road and they crossed at 40 yards. I thought about it after and I know if I was with a group I wouldn't have been moving yet.
As far as limitations, I did my first Ironman in 2016. Two weeks later I pulled a bull out solo 2 miles mostly downhill, steep, and thick. I can honestly say that pulling the bull out solo was just as hard as Ironman. My training that year was all geared for Ironman, and it was so quick after I'm sure I hadn't recovered 100%. But I don't think many people that haven't packed an elk out before have any idea what it takes.
ishy

First Name: Bryan
Last Name: L

Postby blackwolf » 01 07, 2018 •  [Post 21]

I have done a couple solo hunts and just prefer company at the end of the day. My problem, like most has been finding the right partner. My 2 lifelong whitetail hunter friends just don't work out. Been there, tried that. One leaves at the first sign of inclement weather and the other gets so depressed if he hunts 2 days without luck that I can't stand to be around him.Best has been my son, but he doesn't have the time to go that I do, being retired now. Having my wife as a camping partner has been a good fit.
blackwolf

First Name: Jim
Last Name: Messerschmidt

Postby Dr. Rx » 01 07, 2018 •  [Post 22]

ishy wrote:My biggest solo lesson this year was patience, for the ten thousandth time. After a pretty vocal calling session that had been quiet from the elk for quite a while I took my arrow off the string quivered it and started walking. I kid you not less than 5 seconds a cow's head appeared followed by a rag horn on her tail. I was on a logging road and they crossed at 40 yards. I thought about it after and I know if I was with a group I wouldn't have been moving yet.
As far as limitations, I did my first Ironman in 2016. Two weeks later I pulled a bull out solo 2 miles mostly downhill, steep, and thick. I can honestly say that pulling the bull out solo was just as hard as Ironman. My training that year was all geared for Ironman, and it was so quick after I'm sure I hadn't recovered 100%. But I don't think many people that haven't packed an elk out before have any idea what it takes.

I had the honor to pack out an Elk this year. I can honestly say If I had not worked out the past 8 months to prepare for my "Spartan Event" known as Elk hunting, there would be no way I would be able to pack one out. You are Spot on Ishy!!
Dr. Rx

Postby Dr. Rx » 01 07, 2018 •  [Post 23]

blackwolf wrote:I have done a couple solo hunts and just prefer company at the end of the day. My problem, like most has been finding the right partner. My 2 lifelong whitetail hunter friends just don't work out. Been there, tried that. One leaves at the first sign of inclement weather and the other gets so depressed if he hunts 2 days without luck that I can't stand to be around him.Best has been my son, but he doesn't have the time to go that I do, being retired now. Having my wife as a camping partner has been a good fit.

Blackwolf.. You are so right..So hard to find a great partner.. for those of you that have a great group of guys.. do not let anyone in that Hunting Club... Treasure that team..

just my 2 cents.. Great points Blackwolf
Dr. Rx

Postby Dr. Rx » 01 07, 2018 •  [Post 24]

Again.. This is why I love this forum
Thanks guys for all your awesome answers..

Kris
Dr. Rx

Postby Navesgane » 01 08, 2018 •  [Post 25]

All the above is great advise, only thing I can add is to not be afraid to get aggressive and close the gap between you and the bull- it's highly unlikely that he will just come waking right up to you.
Instagram @jeff.reilly1
Navesgane

First Name: Jeff

Postby ElkNut1 » 01 08, 2018 •  [Post 26]

I agree, getting aggressive is very important, not wreck less aggression but just enough to have him or her make the FINAL movement to you! That is the key right there! If you are the one doing the sneaking around you will be busted more times than you can count in dark noisy conditions timber! It's no different tag teaming or solo hunting, it's advantage hunter to have your prey make the last move, they're easier to hear or spot first!

ElkNut/Paul
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Indian Summer » 01 08, 2018 •  [Post 27]

Good things come to those who don’t wait!
Indian Summer

Postby jmorr » 01 10, 2018 •  [Post 28]

ElkNut1 wrote:I agree, getting aggressive is very important, not wreck less aggression but just enough to have him or her make the FINAL movement to you! That is the key right there! If you are the one doing the sneaking around you will be busted more times than you can count in dark noisy conditions timber! It's no different tag teaming or solo hunting, it's advantage hunter to have your prey make the last move, they're easier to hear or spot first!

ElkNut/Paul

Can you elaborate on this Paul? Last year we had a couple encounters where the bull was close but thick cover obscured the bull from my view, and he wouldn't come through it. There was several inches of crusty snow on the ground so any movement was very noisy. My caller was set back 50 yards or so. If the bull is hung up do you crash through that heavy cover, or sit paralyzed in fear of spooking the bull with noise like I did? In terms of closing distance to the bull, how close is too close if there is no way of doing it silently?
jmorr

Postby Swede » 01 10, 2018 •  [Post 29]

It they believe you are another elk, crashing ahead is fine as long as they don't recognize you or smell you. If you are seen and bust them out, you not only lose that encounter, but may be pushing them out of the area. This can be a risk management assessment. If it is the first day of your hunt, how much risk will you take as opposed to the last day?
Swede

Postby ElkNut1 » 01 11, 2018 •  [Post 30]

jmorr, lots of ways to approach a situation, there's no cut & dry way that works everytime! But, in the one you were in it was up to your caller to pull the bull that last little bit. He needed to convince the bull to keep coming over his way, this means he asks him to do so if he was using mostly cow talk or he insists the bull show himself or even call him out with a round up bugle or a more demanding message for him to do so with a single grunt & a coarse round up bugle. Other times your caller may need to use his cow talk & retreat as if leaving the area, this can pull a bull forward as if wanting to catch up, point is the bull makes the final move! Each situation is different but by communicating/talking to the bull so he has to take action is what will raise your odds in a shot opportunity. There was no reason for you to move in that specific situation & those conditions without the bull keying in on you instantly. Your caller needs to know how to direct traffic & keep the bull interested & moving.

On a sidenote, when elk hunting timber I rarely get more than 30 yards from shooter when I'm the caller. In many cases I start no more than a few yards from the shooter & adjust from there on what I need to do next depending on the bulls attitude, I will move back or forward as needed! I feel most hunters put way too much distance at first from caller to shooter setups in the timber! In open sage country the distance would start out greater but not in the timber! The caller/ shooter should be close enough in most cases that either could have taken the oncoming elk! It's just that the caller is getting the elks focus taking it off the shooter!

ElkNut/Paul
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby elkfuler » 01 11, 2018 •  [Post 31]

Be in the best shape you can. Setup is crucial! When you get one just break it down and haul it out. Yeah it's 2 to 3 hundred pounds but you're not carrying the whole thing at once. Thats where the advice to know where you are in relation to where you need to go to is important cuz you're going to be making several trips. Be in the best shape you can - oh, I already said that. Setup is crucial! said that too. Study Elknut's advice diligently.
elkfuler

Postby baddaddy » 01 16, 2018 •  [Post 32]

Make sure you have a great pack to pack your animal out. Elk are big regardless of the sex of the elk and any elk is a daunting challenge to pack out alone. Have some good trekking poles as well.
baddaddy

Postby Lefty » 01 20, 2018 •  [Post 33]

baddaddy wrote:Make sure you have a great pack to pack your animal out. Elk are big regardless of the sex of the elk and any elk is a daunting challenge to pack out alone. Have some good trekking poles as well.

And a backup plan. You may not run i to another elk nut willing to help you pack out.
Maybe have a back up plan, some guys you can call or an outfitter. Save some weight , watch some boning videos. Know how you are going to take care of the meat.
After moving 3 moose downhill an elk doesnt seem so big :roll:
Lefty