Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

The Unfit Partner

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

The Unfit Partner

Postby Swede » 01 07, 2018 •  [Post 1]

I have elk hunted with people that have other agendas than mine. I have hunted with people that were just not totally committed to the arduous aspects of the hunt, and wanted to take time off. They might sleep in or come back from the hunt early. Some just wanted a day off. Really those things don't bother me one bit. Also, I think someone will have to lay awake at night to come up with another excuse to return home early, but that is insignificant too. What I hate is a complainer. Blackwolf mentioned that in a post on another thread. That got me to thinking again.
A complainer is worse than someone that does not want to contribute to the whole experience. The complainer quickly wears me down. I know when we are struggling to find a shootable critter. I understand the weather and everything else that is less than ideal, but I hate complaining. What I want are suggestions that might turn things around. I don't want to wallow in pity with anyone.
In the end it is disappointing to go home empty handed, and I will be disappointed, but will recover and move on. I want to learn from any mistakes made. The most unfit person to partner up with is the guy that wants to gripe a lot about things we have no control over. That is frustrating, but expressing disappointment is natural. I get that.
I would probably have something to say to Pollyanna too, but have never hunted with her or her friends. Fortunately, the people I hunt with are all pretty level headed. I hope it stays that way.

OK, I have shared my pet peeve. What is yours?
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: The Unfit Partner

Postby stringunner » 01 07, 2018 •  [Post 2]

My pet peeve, the retired guy I hunt with that has all 30 days to hunt and I only have 10!!!! His online name starts with S! :D :lol:

Seriously though, I like what Swede (weird Swede is retired and starts with an S ;) ) is saying. Before I moved into Swede and Oly’s camp a couple years back, we hunted with a guy that wasn’t fully committed according to my standards, it wasn’t that he was a bad guy or inexperienced, it was just simply we had different approaches, goals, and drive to get it done. I think we both felt like we had to compromise a lot to hunt with each other. There were other factors that led to the need to split up as hunting partners, my boys started to come to camp and his life style and mine didnt align well with what I wanted or felt comfortable with my boys being around, this coupled with our differing perspectives on hunting ways and means ultimately separated us. Hunting with Swede and Oly, has been great, and we align well both in hunting perspectives and “camp life.”

Being aligned with your hunting partners or those whom you share camp with is important and has become an important part of what I hope to experience as part of “the hunt”.
stringunner

Postby Indian Summer » 01 08, 2018 •  [Post 3]

You wouldn’t want to marry the wrong person and likewise you damn sure don’t want to take the wrong one elk hunting. It can be hard to tell too. My guides used to look at hunt contracts and try to decide who would be the better hunter. Looking at age and weight was never accurate. I’d rather have a partner who was a little out of shape but mentally tough as nails than one who is in good physical condition and a spoiled lazy cream puff. I like a dedicated team player who realizes that we both depend on each other for a lot more than just packing meat. One that knows it’s all or nothing and leaving early is NOT an option. Even if he needs a break it’s important that he stays in camp at the very least. I could handle a non hunting partner which goes to show what’s really important to me. What’s important is some companionship at the end of the day. That means collaborative thinking about hunting strategies, pep talks and a little humor. The things that keep a hunt upbeat and on the right track. Complaining is the exact opposite and will not be tolerated. Yes there will be aches and pains. Yes there will be some crappy weather. Yes we will be a little short on sleep. So I want a partner who is just happy to be there. One who in the midst of all that looks at me with his unshaven face and tired eyes and smiles and says “Sure beats the hell out of work doesn’t it brother!”
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Swede » 01 08, 2018 •  [Post 4]

Boy, I.S. nailed it for sure. Since I go out on my own and hunt in a tree stand, I don't care if those in camp with me leave at 2:00AM or 10:AM. I don't mind comments about how bad the hunting is. I just get wore down by continual griping. I have noticed that folks who gripe, talk as if the whole world is set against them. They are constant victims.
We are not hunting thin time of year, but I hear one complainer and it reminds me how, after a while, they can be like a 100# weight on your shoulders.
This year I hunted quite a long while with RJ and his friend. They hunted hard and continuously. Things never worked out for them to the end, but they were always upbeat and never gave up. I liked that. I am sure they must have felt discouraged at times, but it never showed. Stringunner and his dad are like that. OLY and his friend are that way too. Hunting is fun when they are around. They are not finding fault with anyone even though they are fully aware that the hunting is getting harder at least in part due to human activity and decisions.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby tom338 » 01 08, 2018 •  [Post 5]

I got rid of a hunting partner who was with me for 3 years. He never helped look for a new spot or did any research, never drove his truck out west and was always out of shape. Bitched it was to steep, bitched cause we didn't see any elk ( we usually always saw elk, might be 2 far away though) and then when bow hunting he cut me off. That was the end of him right there. And no he didn't shoot that elk, 2 small he said. Tag soup for both of us that year. You need to pick a partner that has the same goals as you. Any elk, trophy only, willing to shoot a cow. Willing to do camp chores also a big plus. But most of all someone who hunts like you do. The guy I have now is not afraid to check over the next ridge, even if its 2-3 miles away. My problem now is he is 15 years younger than me, hard to keep up with. But he also pushes me to go to the next level, sometimes I need that, sometimes we all do
tom338

Postby blackwolf » 01 08, 2018 •  [Post 6]

Ditto, Indian Summer nailed it!
blackwolf

First Name: Jim
Last Name: Messerschmidt

Postby Roosiebull » 01 08, 2018 •  [Post 7]

blackwolf wrote:Ditto, Indian Summer nailed it!

Yep!

I have never had luck finding a good hunting partner. People need to have a good attitude, not complain, and relatively selfless. Hunting partners need to help and encourage each other, and want the other one to do good as well.

I hunted a bit with 2 brothers this season, and that has potential to turn into a crew. They are not super experienced, but refreshingly savvy, they hunt hard, don't complain, and keep it equal opportunity.

We are probably going to do a backpack trip together the first week this year, look forward to that. They are also both sober, which is important to me.

I wouldn't care in the least if people want to have a couple beers at camp, but I'm not sharing a camp with people who wake up hung over daily.

Good hunting partners are rare in my experience
Roosiebull

Postby saddlesore » 01 08, 2018 •  [Post 8]

Don't you know hunting with a hangover makes you a better hunter. Every twig you step on sounds like a 6" log breaking. You can't stand those loud noises so you move a lot quieter. :lol:
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Indian Summer » 01 08, 2018 •  [Post 9]

I’m a wild partier when I hunt. I fall asleep 2/3 of the way through my first drink. :lol:
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Roosiebull » 01 10, 2018 •  [Post 10]

saddlesore wrote:Don't you know hunting with a hangover makes you a better hunter. Every twig you step on sounds like a 6" log breaking. You can't stand those loud noises so you move a lot quieter. :lol:

haha! that's one heck of a perspective :D half glass full, I like it!
Roosiebull

Postby Lefty » 01 10, 2018 •  [Post 11]

Ive seem to find partners that are hard workers. 8-) But I still hunt alone, with my daughters and wife more than not!

I have hunted a few times with others goose hunting that there wasn't a 2nd time. Guys that are unsafe; I am done with them.
Showed up at a field onetime, two of the guys were finishing their bottles from the night before. We never did hunt
But wow the guys that think their, choke, gun or shot shells are the reason for misses.

Unfortunately the "unfit" are the same guys that keep trying to invite themselves, how do hey not know Im not hunting with them.

Over the years the biggest problem are guys that dont dress for the weather,..then whine until they leave
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby snowbank » 02 05, 2018 •  [Post 12]

When in camp the rules are no booze, no cards, stock taken care of before food, and kitchen clean before bed or hunting. when we hunt out of the house its the same rules but free time is taken up with tack repair and map studying and strategy sessions given the weather.

Ihad too many friends that were too busy to put in camp, too busy to pull camp, and to busy too help pack meat.

I hunt now with my son and my hunting partner of nearly 50 years. There are way to many freeloaders out there to waste your time. Hunting is way to serious to waste it or mix it with recreation.
snowbank

Postby >>>---WW----> » 02 06, 2018 •  [Post 13]

You're my kind of guy, snowbank. No booze allowed in my camp. I'm there to hunt ,not drink. I don't mind sharing camp with someone so long as when it comes time to hunt, they go their way and I go mine. I'll give up a day of hunting to help them pack out and do my share of camp chores. But when it comes time to hunt, I like to do it on my own.
>>>---WW---->

Postby RAMMONT » 02 06, 2018 •  [Post 14]

I've had way too many bad experiences with heavy drinkers (drunks) so I won't hunt with them any more. I hunt out of my house nowadays so I don't have to worry about camping with people that I wont get along with but after three years of attempting to get along with a particular hunting partner I've decided to give up on him. I scout all year long since I live where I hunt and I'm semi-retired (work 3 days a week at a gun shop) while this guy lives out of state, so when hunting season comes along I've been taking him to my hot spots that I've worked hard to find all year long. I'm 60 years old and I live in the mountains of Montana so it's not exactly easy for me to find these spots, it's a lot of work and I've use up a lot of pain pills in the process. His booze is more important than hunting and by noon, no matter what's going on he's on his way home for his first beer of the day. He's deserted me twice on planned meeting spots and brought drinking buddies in to my special honey holes without even consulting with me.

Hunting should be fun but it isn't a drinking party, I don't mind a beer or two at night but getting drunk every day and then treating the guy that's done all the prep work like he's less important than a 6 pack just isn't the way to do things. Be there for the work and show a little respect to the guys that help you out and you'll have a good hunting relationship.
RAMMONT

Postby Tigger » 02 06, 2018 •  [Post 15]

Oh man, Rammont, that really sucks! I cannot imagine treating someone like that. I have long wanted to have a connection to a local out there and to have one and screw it up.....it blows my mind! Good luck to you and I am sure you will be much happier in the long run!
Tigger