Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Getting my 2018 plan together. 21 days in the Backcountry

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Getting my 2018 plan together. 21 days in the Backcountry

Postby under H2O hunter » 01 10, 2018 •  [Post 1]

I am getting my plans together for 2018. As usual I will be hunting the whole season again. But what's different about this year vs. past years is that I am planning on staying back deep in the wilderness for 21 days straight without having to come out unless its bringing animals out. Now I have done long stints before but I have always been close to a vehicle or had my son or buddies coming or going who could bring stuff or take things back to my house. So this is gonna be a big change from my past. I have done a week in the deep wilderness and I am aware of how hard it can be. Now that being said has anyone done any long stints in the back country like this? Anything longer then say 10 days? Here is some of my plans. I have 4 summer trips planned to bring extra gear and food in and stash it. I'll be cutting my ridge and support poles for my wall tent during these trips plus stock up some split wood for the stove. 3 of these trips in will be on foot and one of them will be with some horses. Logistics are something I am pretty good at getting together so that I avoid the pit falls and problems before they occur. Thats what I am hoping this thread will do. Give me some insight into what problems or things people did to avoid issues. I am planning on dehydrating a lot of my own meals to make it lighter to take in as well as stash. Any good recipes you may have that you want to share would be helpful. I am looking for good ways to make camp life easier such as building a potty box or cook table...

I appreciate any insight and help any of you may provide.
Thanks.

PS... If you have any comments regarding legality of my plan please refrain from commenting , I am fully aware of all the laws and I have talked to the Authorities in my area...
under H2O hunter

First Name: James

Re: Getting my 2018 plan together. 21 days in the Backcountr

Postby Elkhunttoo » 01 10, 2018 •  [Post 2]

When I first started reading I was thinking you were crazy to try and pack on your back a camp and food for 21 days :o ... but it sounds to me like you have a good plan as for as getting everything in. I really have no tips for that long of a hunt back in a ways. I have done one week hunts but work never allows me more then that at a time. Will you have the horses with you when you are hunting?
Elkhunttoo

Re: Getting my 2018 plan together. 21 days in the Backcountr

Postby under H2O hunter » 01 11, 2018 •  [Post 3]

At times I will have a horse or two in camp. My buddy who owns them can only come in and hunt for 4 days at a time. So he is going to ride in with an extra horse. He offered to leave me a horse but I have zero horse experience. Plus from what everyone has told me they can be a PITA. Really once things are set up and we are hunting we won't need the horses except to haul meat out. I can sink the meat in a creek to keep it cool if need be while my buddy is away. Once he gets back into camp I can walk the meat out on the horses...
under H2O hunter

First Name: James