Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Pre-rut calling

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Pre-rut calling

Postby Joe Schmo » 01 18, 2018 •  [Post 1]

Not pre pre-rut like August but I'm talking pre "peak rut" like September 1-10. I have some experience with early season calling but not anywhere near what some folks have I'm sure. So my theory is, to shoot a big bull you gotta pass on little bulls but more importantly for me is that you gotta get close enough to a big bull to shoot him. I would much rather try and call him in and/or create interest from a biggun at a time when he does NOT have cows or at least a bunch of cows that he's tending to. I have called in a few bulls very early in September and of course it's not the same wide eyed foaming at the mouth screaming that you might get mid to late month...but they still come in. As of right now I'm planning on hunting Sept 4-11. I'm not a big fan of sitting still and I love cold calling for some strange reason. So how am I gonna call em in? Go through the threat levels? Open to suggestions!! Thanks!!
Joe Schmo

Re: Pre-rut calling

Postby Swede » 01 18, 2018 •  [Post 2]

Joe Schmo wrote:I'm not a big fan of sitting still

I admit I have not called elk over a wide range, so my perspective is limited. That said, I believe being in a hurry to move, especially in the early season is a big mistake. I would try to sound like a small bull, or a small herd of cows. Better yet you could be a small bull with a few cows. Stay in a set location and be patient. Wait 45 minutes to an hour. Numerous times I have given up only to move and busted out a bull coming in quiet. Of coarse it goes without saying, to kill a big bull you need to hunt where there are some big bulls.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 01 18, 2018 •  [Post 3]

Great thread Joe! Just my thoughts, but here I go ;). SEP 1-10 is really, the main gathering up/herding up phase of the rut and can be a very exciting and productive time to hunt wapiti! There is a lot of location and advertising going on by the bulls.... Yes, there are a very few cows that come into estrus during the early part of SEP (and as we know, its all about the cows) but the majority of the cows come into their first, main estrus cycle around the third week of SEP. Back on topic.... I, like many hunters, choose my time off from work to coincide with the time we really want to hunt based on what we know (or think we know, lol). I prefer the last two weeks in SEP after the herding up process has ran its course and its relatively easy to locate herds by their vocalization. That said, the early part of SEP can be a very productive time. The bulls testosterone level is pushing up, up, up and that coupled with perhaps a few cows coming into their estrus cycle, locating and advertising can be off the charts.. How to hunt this time of Elktember? Locate and advertise! Oftentimes, just sitting on a ridge overlooking a draw right after dark will tell you what you need to know (er, hear) that there are bulls locating and advertising.... in that situation, obviously, you don't need to make a peep.... Decide where they're at and work in on them from lower in the morning, working the thermals...(they'll be very close to where you heard them the night before). Don't hear anything? Then its time to do some location bugles and see if you can get a/some responses... same drill in the morning as I mentioned previously (get below them, early, and work in). Cold calling as you mentioned is kind of an all encompassing kind of term.. there are different types. During the early part of the rut (first week'ish of SEP), doing an advertising sequence can be a pot of gold if done right (look at Elknut's Advertising Sequence VID). That... is what the bulls are doing during the early part of the rut... advertising their bullhood and looking to establish a harem. Yep, they may very well come in silent so have an arrow knocked and your guard UP. Wait 15, 20 minutes or even longer when doing these sequences.. Don't ask me how many times I've been busted by leaving a set up too early! The threat levels work and work well BUT you've gotta be in the bedroom so to speak.....and we're talking max effectiveness of the threat levels works when a bull is cowed up. Get close (I mean within 70 yards when possible) and kick it in "hey mister.... I've got your cow" and be ready for a rapid and ornery physical and vocal response! Last tidbit I offer is that in "most" cases, lesser bulls will establish harems first (by lesser, I don't mean pee wees but 5 pts and young 6 pt bulls).. Just a personal observation of mine but when most of the cows start coming into estrus (again, third week of SEP), that's when the horses (mature 6 pts and above) stroll into the previously established herds and kick the youngsters to the curb who in turn become satellites..... Yikes, that was long winded :D
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Joe Schmo » 01 23, 2018 •  [Post 4]

Thank you!! I guess buy saying that I didn’t want to sit still I meant that I didn’t want to sit on a wallow for 6 days straight :)
So I’m excited to talk about this as I’ve locked in my type 9 choice and I should draw. So I’ve found tons of areas that look great and my plan is to show up and hunt. I just creep around and get my hunt on, I think this should work well early. I never call unless I get bored and/or nothing develops... from the folks I’ve talked to about the hunt I’ve a feeling something will develop. Anyway, I’d creep around for the first hour of daylight taking it in...bugles hopefully. If I hear one my instinct is never to call, it’s to get closer, check the wind, get closer and ask which way will the wind be blowing in 30 min? If it’s prime advertising time (early elktember) I’d be surprised to only hear one bugle in a given morning. But let’s assume that’s the deal. Then what?? My instinct is always “cow call” but if cow talk is not productive, then what? More cow talk and raking and/or a small bugle? Or is there a step in between those two that would work better?
Joe Schmo

Postby Joe Schmo » 02 01, 2018 •  [Post 5]

Or am I totally wrong about it being MUCH easier to "single out" a herd bull Sept 1-15 vs Sept 16-30??
Joe Schmo