Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Wyoming or Colorado for first hunt

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Wyoming or Colorado for first hunt

Postby robloft » 01 25, 2018 •  [Post 1]

I am planning on going on an elk hunt this fall. I have done a good bit of research and spoken to a few people about places to hunt. I'm wanting more opinions. What place do you all think is the better place for a beginning elk hunter? Looking at area 41 in Wyoming and the southwest part of Colorado(no specific area picked yet). I just recently spoke with a Wyoming resident who said he'd help me out if I got a tag for Wyoming. Also looking for possible other areas in Wyoming and possible hunting buddies for either state. Thanks
robloft

Re: Wyoming or Colorado for first hunt

Postby Elkduds » 01 25, 2018 •  [Post 2]

It is priceless to have a boots-on-the-ground mentor for elk hunting. Accept your buddy's offer.
Elkduds

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Scott

Postby Elkhunttoo » 01 25, 2018 •  [Post 3]

I can't help you out much on those two states, but elk hunting is completely addicting!!!! Welcome aboard
Elkhunttoo

Postby Indian Summer » 01 25, 2018 •  [Post 4]

Make sure you look at draw odds in Wyoming. If you have no points you won’t draw a General license unless you are super lucky and get one in the low odds random draw.

To answer your question do this: Google up the number of resident and non resident hunters in each state. Then think about that a minute. Elk are never easy to hunt. Pressured elk are 10 times harder to find and hunt.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Navesgane » 01 25, 2018 •  [Post 5]

I would shoot for Wyoming first (deadline is soon) and go OTC or pick up a leftover tag in Colorado if you don't draw a Wyoming tag. I'm in SW CO, plenty of forest, elk and hunters. If you're willing and able to travel deep into the more remote and rugged areas, the better your chances will be.
Instagram @jeff.reilly1
Navesgane

First Name: Jeff

Postby saddlesore » 01 26, 2018 •  [Post 6]

Colorado is the dumping grounds for all the hunters thatdidn't draw in other states. I can't recommend one Over The Counter unit that I would advise hunting in. It seems in the last five years, it's a sea of orange in all of them. You get the hunters that hunt within 3 miles of the roads and then the outfitters or livestock users that hunt 5-6 miles from road. Sometimes it's a good area to hunt between the two,but usually pans out to n be too low early in the season.

Colorado does not have the big wilderness areas that Wyoming or Montana does so if a person figures on going further back in than that 5-6 miles you usually meet hunters coming inform the other side.

My hunting career is coming to a close and the few great areas I know,I have past on to a few hunters, and I won't send anyone else into the same areas.

If I were starting out,I would choose Wyoming or Montana unless a person is willing to pay a tresspass fee or an outfitter to hunt private lands
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby robloft » 01 26, 2018 •  [Post 7]

Navesgane do you know what areas in SW Colorado that would be good to go for second rifle? Do you rifle or bow hunt? I have no issues going in into remote areas. ive got a friend who said he'd go with me but he is also new to elk hunting. Itd be great to be able to find someone from the area who wouldn't mind giving a few pointers on areas or good locations within areas.
robloft

Postby Indian Summer » 01 26, 2018 •  [Post 8]

You should heed Saddlesores advice. If anyone knows Colorado he does. You should apply for a Wyoming general license. There’s always a chance of drawing and really no bad place to hunt. If you don’t draw you’ll get a preference point for the future. If you need help applying shoot me a PM.
Indian Summer

Postby robloft » 01 26, 2018 •  [Post 9]

How does the general license work? From what I saw online there's only a few areas that listed general out beside them. I was thinking of entering the draw on Wyoming and if I didn't get a tag there doing an otc tag in Colorado. Does anyone else do something similar? If so what states do you enter the draw in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
robloft

Postby Indian Summer » 01 26, 2018 •  [Post 10]

A general license is good for both bow and gun in over 50 units with some kick a$$ hunting. The Montana elk tag is a draw but has 100% odds so guaranteed.
Indian Summer

Postby Navesgane » 01 26, 2018 •  [Post 11]

robloft wrote:Navesgane do you know what areas in SW Colorado that would be good to go for second rifle? Do you rifle or bow hunt? I have no issues going in into remote areas. ive got a friend who said he'd go with me but he is also new to elk hunting. Itd be great to be able to find someone from the area who wouldn't mind giving a few pointers on areas or good locations within areas.

Anywhere in the almost 2 million acres of the san juan national forest (which encompasses a mere half million acres of the Weminuche Wilderness) would be a good bet. Weather is unpredictable especially this far out. This fall and winter has been unusually mild for this area but this season could be completely different. I bow and rifle hunt. Hopefully will be hunting Arizona this year for archery and 1st or 2nd rifle in CO. Let me know if I can help you with any other questions or info on certain areas, but please consider that I wont be giving any specific spots away. Keep in mind you can apply for a Wyoming tag and know your results before the Colorado application deadline is due so you may be able to draw a 1st rifle or cow-only tags in one of the various lesser-desirable units that still hold plenty of elk.
Instagram @jeff.reilly1
Navesgane

First Name: Jeff

Postby mrupnorth » 02 01, 2018 •  [Post 12]

Hopefully you got an application in for Wyoming and with two more months for the Colorado deadline you have plenty of time to make a decision on a few hunting spots if not drawn in WY. Plenty of great tools for researching CO (Colorado Hunt atlas-https://ndismaps.nrel.colostate.edu/index.html?app=HuntingAtlas) is a great one.
mrupnorth

Postby Joe Schmo » 02 01, 2018 •  [Post 13]

Indian Summer wrote:Make sure you look at draw odds in Wyoming. If you have no points you won’t draw a General license unless you are super lucky and get one in the low odds random draw.

To answer your question do this: Google up the number of resident and non resident hunters in each state. Then think about that a minute. Elk are never easy to hunt. Pressured elk are 10 times harder to find and hunt.

I did a ratio of elk to hunter and it came out with 1.3 elk per hunter in WY and 1.2 in CO...but over 3x as many hunters in CO!!
Joe Schmo

Postby saddlesore » 02 01, 2018 •  [Post 14]

Joe Schmo wrote:I did a ratio of elk to hunter and it came out with 1.3 elk per hunter in WY and 1.2 in CO...but over 3x as many hunters in CO!!

That is what I was explaining. Anyone who doesn't draw in WY or other early draw states comes to Colorado.
saddlesore

Postby robloft » 02 09, 2018 •  [Post 15]

saddlesore I tried to send you a pm but for some reason it wont send.
robloft

Postby saddlesore » 02 09, 2018 •  [Post 16]

robloft wrote:saddlesore I tried to send you a pm but for some reason it wont send.

Sent you a PM with my email address.Let me know if you got it
saddlesore

Postby robloft » 02 10, 2018 •  [Post 17]

saddlesore wrote:
robloft wrote:saddlesore I tried to send you a pm but for some reason it wont send.

Sent you a PM with my email address.Let me know if you got it

Thanks I did.

robloft

Postby Indian Summer » 02 10, 2018 •  [Post 18]

Also worth mentioning is that Wyoming will offer leftover licenses later. Any tags remaining from both non resident AND resident draws will be up for grabs to anyone. In some units there my be 40 cow tags and 120 applicants or a 33% chance of drawing. But later because of leftover resident tags there might be 100 or more available licenses. A blind man could kill a cow in Wyoming! It’s a great way to get a cheap tag, hunt with no pressure, fill the freezer, learn to quarter out elk.... and learn an area. If I don’t draw my general license I’ll be buying one.

I’d say a new hunter with no experience would have a way better chance of killing a cow in Wyoming than killing a bull in Colorado. A great way to break the ice.
Indian Summer

Postby saddlesore » 02 10, 2018 •  [Post 19]

Indian Summer wrote:
I’d say a new hunter with no experience would have a way better chance of killing a cow in Wyoming than killing a bull in Colorado. A great way to break the ice.

I totally agree
saddlesore

Postby robloft » 02 10, 2018 •  [Post 20]

Indian Summer wrote:Also worth mentioning is that Wyoming will offer leftover licenses later. Any tags remaining from both non resident AND resident draws will be up for grabs to anyone. In some units there my be 40 cow tags and 120 applicants or a 33% chance of drawing. But later because of leftover resident tags there might be 100 or more available licenses. A blind man could kill a cow in Wyoming! It’s a great way to get a cheap tag, hunt with no pressure, fill the freezer, learn to quarter out elk.... and learn an area. If I don’t draw my general license I’ll be buying one.

l

Do you know when the leftovers usually go on sale? Are the cow tags just a general cow tag for any season or are they area specific?

robloft

Postby Sticknstringer » 02 10, 2018 •  [Post 21]

Indian Summer wrote:Also worth mentioning is that Wyoming will offer leftover licenses later. Any tags remaining from both non resident AND resident draws will be up for grabs to anyone. In some units there my be 40 cow tags and 120 applicants or a 33% chance of drawing. But later because of leftover resident tags there might be 100 or more available licenses. A blind man could kill a cow in Wyoming! It’s a great way to get a cheap tag, hunt with no pressure, fill the freezer, learn to quarter out elk.... and learn an area. If I don’t draw my general license I’ll be buying one.

I have good vision and this is my first time trying for wyoming ... I'm taking your word!!
Sticknstringer