Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

When Do I shoot?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

When Do I shoot?

Postby Swede » 02 01, 2018 •  [Post 1]

Ok: I have a bull coming in. Right now I have to wait, but he is slowly coming my way. The wind is still in my favor and he has no idea I am looking to put him down. When do I shoot? Do I take the very first opportunity? Do I wait for a closer shot, a better angle, or unobstructed view. How do I account for the possibility of a wind shift, the bull seeing movement or just bad luck happening as he approaches? What goes through your mind when you see a shooter elk coming your way? When will you draw and shoot? Do you fear your pounding heart will betray your presence, and spook the animal?

I know this is asking a lot, but just one more thing. Is this the make or break moment that separates those that bring home game, and those that return with just memories?
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: When Do I shoot?

Postby Tigger » 02 01, 2018 •  [Post 2]

Ahhh Swede, I am hoping this isn't a live hunt you are talking about, but rather a hypothetical as I believe all bull elk seasons are closed.... :shock:

Yes, this is the magical moment that separates the meat eaters from the vegetarians.

You should already have your weapon up and either tracking the bull (if it is fairly open) or be anticipating where you shot is going to be and be aimed in that spot (roughly).

When I shoot is the first shot opportunity that I feel is a slam dunk on harvesting that animal. That is different for everyone and there are a ton of inputs that make up our decision-making process. Defining that shot opportunity is tough, but everyone has that line in the sand in their mind.
Tigger

Postby Trumkin the Dwarf » 02 01, 2018 •  [Post 3]

Hunting with the traditional bow, an animal is simply in range, or not, for me. And I know it instinctively (on a side note, that range can grow or shrink depending on conditions, but I'm always sure when it's a go). Once they are in the red zone, I'm taking the first ethical opportunity to draw and shoot without spooking the critter. I don't have enough animals making it into my kill zone to dawdle around for a flashy slam dunk, quartering away, 8 yard shot as the animal is exhaling... 15 yard layups count just the same on the other end of the blood trail! ;)
Trumkin the Dwarf

First Name: Malachi
Last Name: C

Postby lamrith » 02 02, 2018 •  [Post 4]

Cmon sweede, you and I both know you have snares and traps set around your stand and you just jump on its back with a Bowe knife once it is stuck.

I sort of follow Trigger way of thinking. have rough idea where I plan to shoot and where my clear shooting lanes are, then I let it fly as soon as as a clear in range shot presents itself.
'15 Elite E35. 30.5", 67#
100Gr. G5 montecs
Sportsman's Vital Impact 300spine

http://www.pelletpeddler.com
lamrith

First Name: Larry

Postby Tigger » 02 02, 2018 •  [Post 5]

After ruminating on this, I really think you hit the nail on the head when talking about this separating the hunters from the people who just end up enjoying the woods. You only get so many opportunities. If you capitalize on all of them, you bring home a lot of game. If you only capitalize on half or less than half, you are going home empty handed a lot. I see it with pheasant hunting. One person may get 2 shots and have 2 roosters in the bag. Another guy might go 0 for 4. So one guy had more opportunities, but the other guy came home with the loot. I know I carefully review those moments in my head and critique my actions. That is a good practice to get into. The other is to treat every critter as one you are going to shoot. Mentally say "bang" in your head when you would have taken the shot. Then decide later if that would have been the right time (when you are passing up critters).
Tigger

Postby Swede » 02 02, 2018 •  [Post 6]

Tigger is really getting to the crux of what I am asking. Based on what you guys are telling me it appears that shooting an elk is more an instinct than anything. When you FEEL you have a good opportunity, you shoot. Wa La.
Every year I read on this forum and others about close encounters that did not work out. Everything was almost perfect, but ...... So what makes you shooters successful while the others have missed out? You must be comfortable and somewhat relaxed in the moment. What is going on?
I think this as much as anything is what is separating the hunters from the killers.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby lamrith » 02 02, 2018 •  [Post 7]

Tigger wrote:I know I carefully review those moments in my head and critique my actions. That is a good practice to get into. The other is to treat every critter as one you are going to shoot. Mentally say "bang" in your head when you would have taken the shot. Then decide later if that would have been the right time (when you are passing up critters).

^^^YYYAAAASSS!!
I know I find myself doing this quite a bit when watching any video/tv shows about hunting, or even if I am out someplace and end up near game in the offseason. Those nice tight close ups of an elk slipping thru the trees toward the hunter, ahh they are magical moments.. I sit there and run thru in my mind, when would I draw, when would I throw a nervous grunt to freeze him and release.

We hear it all the time about how movies and video games have decencitize youth to violence, etc. I am a believer in that concept, and I use it to my advantage by watching every video of game encounters I possibly can. Hunting like many things is a very mental game, the more scenarios you can run thru in your mind, the better prepared you are when you need to make a split second decision. That is most likely why season and experienced hunter usually take much mroe game than new hunters. years of experience adds up. You have already gone thru the thought process on it, so you already know what to do.

I am not a good hunter by any means, I am a total newby that only took my 1st game animal ever this year. What I do know is that in the grand scheme of things, when I finally had a game animal coming into range of my bow I was not second guessing myself, or distances, or when shouId I draw etc. The last few years of running scenarios over and over in my head, along with hours of practice shooting my bow in different positions I almost went on autopilot. My body knew exactly what to do and just did it without my having to consciously think about each or any steps of taking the shot. The only thing I specifically remember having in my mind during the encounter was where I wanted the pin to settle and then telling myself to shoot when the shot was right.
'15 Elite E35. 30.5", 67#
100Gr. G5 montecs
Sportsman's Vital Impact 300spine

http://www.pelletpeddler.com
lamrith

First Name: Larry

Postby Fullabull » 02 02, 2018 •  [Post 8]

You shoot as soon as you have a killing shot available. Don't wait for the perfect shoot or you will miss out on to many opportunities
Fullabull

First Name: Fred
Last Name: Talbot

Postby LarryBud » 02 03, 2018 •  [Post 9]

Fullabull wrote:You shoot as soon as you have a killing shot available. Don't wait for the perfect shoot or you will miss out on to many opportunities

My Son ( who does not have a great deal of hunting experience ) and I had a set up going last year. I called a 6x6 to about 20 yards. He had a Muzzleloader all set up on stix and could have shot him a couple of times but was waiting for the perfect shot. You know what happened next... winded him and he was gone like smoke in the breeze.

He won't make that mistake again. Plus, we were 150 yards from truck, down hill walk!
LarryBud

Postby stringunner » 02 03, 2018 •  [Post 10]

Shoot at the first good shot. This past year I had 3 potential shots at the bull before he finally gave me a shot I knew would put him down. By the time the angle I wanted came about, I had lost the jitters. There was a time early in my hunting days I would not have had the patience to wait this bull out. And yet my waiting could have ended up costing me a shot if he boogered out before the slam dunk shot presented itself. But ultimately I believe it was my waiting this year that won the day. I have hunted with some guys in the past that have zero patience and limited ivories in their collection, these guys would force shots before the shot opportunity had fully developed and we rarely found the animal. I’m not talking about making a poor shot I’m talking about intentionally trying to make a shot happen that is not there yet. There is a difference between the two.
stringunner