Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Tips To Up Your Game

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Tips To Up Your Game

Postby Swede » 02 03, 2018 •  [Post 1]

Here I want hunters that have some experience to share some ideas and tips that will help others improve their success at elk hunting. On this thread lets start with pre-season preparation.

1. Plan to be more versatile.
If what you have been doing has not been working change something. Most likely it is not the area, but if you are not seeing elk or fresh sign, then you need to move.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: Tips To Up Your Game

Postby Indian Summer » 02 04, 2018 •  [Post 2]

Versatility is an absolute must until you’ve actually found what you’re looking for. I see so many hunters, mostly new ones, saying we are planning an elk hunt. We have all the gear and have done a bunch of research and settled on a spot 3 or 4 miles or more from the road. In my mind I’m saying nooooo!!!

To me that’s like renting a big moving truck and packing up all your furniture, clothes, and belongings and driving around looking for a house to buy. Find the house first.

Set up a camp at your vehicle. Hike in and hunt. Drive to nearby drainages and do the same. If you are hunting in September drive around at night and do some listening and calling in various locations. Most likely you will discover that unless you choose to do it for the experience a pack in camp isn’t necessary. You might find that a spike camp is beneficial but not in the spot you originally picked out.

Even in areas I hunt regularly and have killed bulls in my game plan changes a little every year. Keep an open mind and base all of your decisions on actual observations and you’ll always be tweeking your strategies.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro