Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Ground Blinds for Elk?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Ground Blinds for Elk?

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 02 04, 2018 •  [Post 1]

Had luck with them? Have you used the factory made blinds and/or built them out of natural materials? With either type, how far in advance of hunting “that spot” do you emplace them? Curious to hear opinions on this and start some discussion.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: Ground Blinds for Elk?

Postby Lefty » 02 04, 2018 •  [Post 2]

We built a ground blind out of brush hunting late season whitetail,.. mostly to get out of the wind chill
I have a $100 Ameristep blind Ive used on elk and bear. The one location I just popped it up, totally disappeared in the 6-7 foot sage brush. I was visiting with another hunter when his partner showed up, He walked up to his buddy 6 feet from the blind and when I said something he about died. :P
This pic the wind had changed and was in a different location 40 yards away. Some day I will kill an elk there
IMG_5582 (Small).JPG
IMG_5582 (Small).JPG (106.72 KiB) Viewed 2494 times

I have and used an OSB box blind Much more comfortable. Ive had cows and calves rub on it, bulls kick dirt on it, and other hunters sit in it.
Elk didnt seem to mind it any place I set up
PICT0007.JPG

I "had" the trail cam set up of the blind. I wanted to get pics if me and the elk ( not this group) but the camera was moved. The blind was 14 yards from the guzzler
PICT0365 (Small).JPG
PICT0365 (Small).JPG (46.25 KiB) Viewed 2494 times

deer seem to cater the most, Antelop give in quickly, but elk dont seem to care.
When Im too old to hunt the mountains Ill sit in a box blind with a crossbow ;)
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Lefty » 02 04, 2018 •  [Post 3]

WapitiTalk1 wrote:Had luck with them?,.....

the elk have had great luck with them.
I made tons of mistakes hunting from a blind,.. and learned a whole lot about elk
Messed up on a 6x6 at 11 1/2 yards,.. I had one shooting hole in front,.. the bull messed around for 18 minutes( yes I timed it) under 30 yards.
Had 8 bulls in under 40 ( my shooting distance was 27 yards at the time)
Yes this story again Two 350 plus bulls walked 14 yards down wind of me ,.. slowly I dint have a hole to shoot out of.
Lefty

Postby Swede » 02 05, 2018 •  [Post 4]

I have never had any real success from ground blinds. I have not given them much of a chance either as I have the same problems with them that Lefty experienced.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby >>>---WW----> » 02 05, 2018 •  [Post 5]

I have had great success with blinds on water holes for antelope. Never tried them for elk but may soon. There are many good tips on things to do when using a blind. Some include a folding chair with NO arms to enter fear with your shooting motion and a back on it to lean on. (Ever try sitting on a stool all day with no back support)? Get one with plenty of room in it. And always buy the cheapest you can find. The hi price ones are just a temptation for unethical hunters. And in open country it is heart breaking to watch a $300-$400 blind go blowing across the prairie in a hi wind. I always drive a T-post on all four corners a couple of feet away to anchor my blind to. And if there are cattle in the area, I run a strand or two of barbed wire around the post to keep cattle from rubbing on the blind. They are always looking for an itching post. A gallon jug of frozen water is a good idea as well. A cold drink as it melts on a hot day is refreshing.
>>>---WW---->

Postby Lefty » 02 05, 2018 •  [Post 6]

>>>---WW----> wrote:, A cold drink as it melts on a hot day is refreshing.
I hunted some hot hot days. the shade and comfort of a blind was almost refreshing,.. the cold water helps.
The Ameristep blind I mostly used on rain days,.. Just to wet to be out,.. but the elk knew that too :lol:
I look at blinds as another option or method to hunt.
Like I mentioned when Im unable to hike around Ill spend a lot of time in a blind.
A great way to spend time with youth or handicapped. A friends dad is paralyzed from he chest down Im hoping to set him up in 2019
Lefty

Postby Navesgane » 02 05, 2018 •  [Post 7]

Anyone ever stayed the night in one? Thinking about picking one up this year for desert deer and antelope hunting.
Instagram @jeff.reilly1
Navesgane

First Name: Jeff

Postby Lefty » 02 05, 2018 •  [Post 8]

Navesgane wrote:Anyone ever stayed the night in one?.
does sleeping count!! :lol: Ive had some long days in them bear hunting. The evening I messed up on a 6x6 I waited till dark and the herd came back. I got out of the blind at 11:00 straight up. I try to keep it just for hunting, but they would be a cheaper "tent"
Lefty

Postby Roosiebull » 02 06, 2018 •  [Post 9]

I have considered them, and double bull came out with an awesome one this year I may buy (mainly for lions) but if I get it, I will deer and elk hunt it too.

I think like anything else, they have their place as a useful tool
Roosiebull