Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Elk hunting 2018.... goals

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Elk hunting 2018.... goals

Postby Roosiebull » 02 06, 2018 •  [Post 1]

What are your goals this season? Any goals, as small or as lofty as you desire :D

I think 2018 is going to be a unique one for me, first time I have had the type of goals I'm considering, and now I'm torn.

Nobody believes me on my 2018 goals, but I want to shoot a spike or rag bull, a nice juicy tender one! It may sound like a weird goal to most, but that is what I want to do.

I'm very excited, as all of the land I grew up hunting is opening back up this year, and that is freakin' awesome!

I need more goals, and I think my other goals will be calling bulls for my friends and family.

I have a good friend who has gotten his young son into hunting (I think 13yrs old) I have a really big bull found, and I think I will focus on scouting him this summer and see if it looks possible to get that young man on him.

What goals have you guys set for the season?
Roosiebull

Re: Elk hunting 2018.... goals

Postby olympushunt » 02 06, 2018 •  [Post 2]

Roosiebull wrote: I need more goals

I know I know!!! Mike you are quite successful and no "normal" goals are suitable for your skill set. That would just be plain boring. Going after a young bull? Booooooring. Not to be mean but that is child's play for you. I'm thinking more along the lines of having one arm tied behind your back, or a 200lb pack of rocks on your back....something like that. Both maybe? You can pull the sting back with your feet? LOL!
I thought you might be pursing elk with a stick bow??? That is a good start. Maybe 2019 will be the other ideas I had. :lol:
olympushunt

Postby Lefty » 02 06, 2018 •  [Post 3]

Hopefully Ill still be retired,.. that means hunting possibilities other than Friday night and Saturday. :D
I plan to set up a "real" camp. a wall tent and a supply tent. Make the place nice and comfortable for my wife and granddaughter for a few Friday night camps. Another goal is for my daughter to make a good archery elk kill.

Yes this is part of my elk goal,.. hunt sandhill crane during the elk season, maybe archery antelope during the elk season too. Is there still over the counter antelope in Wyoming??
the goal , kill any elk I feel like it,.. and some other September game, if it is way early maybe a 2nd tag and go for a bigger bull?
Spend a day or to hunting with my neigbor in their camp.

Maybe bust in on someone elses camp from Wapiti talk!
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Roosiebull » 02 06, 2018 •  [Post 4]

olympushunt wrote:
Roosiebull wrote: I need more goals

I know I know!!! Mike you are quite successful and no "normal" goals are suitable for your skill set. That would just be plain boring. Going after a young bull? Booooooring. Not to be mean but that is child's play for you. I'm thinking more along the lines of having one arm tied behind your back, or a 200lb pack of rocks on your back....something like that. Both maybe? You can pull the sting back with your feet? LOL!
I thought you might be pursing elk with a stick bow??? That is a good start. Maybe 2019 will be the other ideas I had. :lol:

Haha... I wish!

Goals always seem easy until you hit the woods, it's never easy, but always fun.

Stick bow is in the works, but I doubt it will happen this year, plus I just bought a new compound :lol:

I don't anticipate it being too easy for sure, maybe I will not have a chance this year, no absolutes in the elk woods.

It's a realistic goal, but I doubt it will be easy, and I don't see letting a bull walk because "It's too big" haha
Roosiebull

Postby Swede » 02 06, 2018 •  [Post 5]

I thought Roosie was going elk hunting with a baseball bat, then I remembered that was his griz hunting weapon.

My goal is to harvest another elk. Another goal is to find the perfect backup hunting area. I want one that is much better than my normal hunting location, where elk can be located all season.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Indian Summer » 02 06, 2018 •  [Post 6]

My goal alternates every other year. Last year it was 6 point bulls only. This year it’s any 5 point bull. Or better of course! Also I’m taking a friend who hunts a lot back east but has never hunted elk. My goal is to help him tag any legal bull and get him hooked on elk hunting. For that reason I’m in a hurry to punch my tag so I can focus on his hunt.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby robloft » 02 06, 2018 •  [Post 7]

My goal is to make it out west and actually get to hunt elk. Another one would be to at least see an elk while I'm hunting. This will hopefully be my first trip hunting out west so I'd like to think those are reasonable goals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
robloft

Postby Roosiebull » 02 06, 2018 •  [Post 8]

robloft wrote:My goal is to make it out west and actually get to hunt elk. Another one would be to at least see an elk while I'm hunting. This will hopefully be my first trip hunting out west so I'd like to think those are reasonable goals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hope you achieve them! Those are very reasonable, and setting reasonable goals is smart, keeps the pressure off so you can enjoy the hunt.

I don't like lofty season goals, takes some fun out of it.
Roosiebull

Postby TennMatt » 02 06, 2018 •  [Post 9]

My desire is to finally apply for a limited season draw. I found an with elk after 2 years of not seeing anything and want to get in a little earlier. I also am planning on figuring out preference points.

Each year I find my becoming more serious and intentional about my outings and my expectations for myself grow.

I'm ready to tag out in 2018.

Matt
TennMatt

Postby Fridaythe13th » 02 06, 2018 •  [Post 10]

Let's see....
My goals...

Buy a license, check
Place to go, check
Pick a date, hope
Food menu, hope
Have fun, check

We have are original group of 6 going, that makes me happy. it's been 2 years wait to get back to this zone. Can't wait.
But seriously my goals are to find a couple more valleys to hunt on Google earth, get in a little better shape, call in a half dozen bulls and go 2 for 6.
Fridaythe13th

First Name: Eric
Last Name: S

Postby Navesgane » 02 07, 2018 •  [Post 11]

To find a hunting partner that's serious and dedicated to all aspects involved in hunting.
Instagram @jeff.reilly1
Navesgane

First Name: Jeff

Postby ishy » 02 07, 2018 •  [Post 12]

Still in the air with 16 Utah points. I'm a total meat guy, so depending on if I draw goals will change. I will revisit mid May!
ishy

First Name: Bryan
Last Name: L

Postby Indian Summer » 02 07, 2018 •  [Post 13]

Robloft:

That’s a reasonable goal if you really mean it. I’m sure you’d like to kill an elk. Lots of guys on their very first hunt decide that a reasonable goal is any legal bull. I don’t really consider that reasonable. I think any elk cows included would be closer to reality. Think about it: Success rates run from about 5 to 20 percent at best in general or OTC units. That means out of every 100 hunters 80 to 95 are going home without an elk. That number includes local hunters, hunters who have hunted the area before but haven’t killed anything yet, hunters who have killed an elk or two there.... and some who have been fairly consistent in the past. For an out of state hunter with no elk hunting experience to set foot in an area he has never seen to end up becoming one of the 5 to 20 who kills and elk is a really long shot. Since success is not based on experience or skill it means that luck is the biggest factor. My very first elk hunt was a pack in guided bow hunt in Montana. We saw one cow and we were riding horses when we saw it. I went home with an unpunched tag and quickly lined up a lodge based guided rifle hunt in a different area after doing my share of homework. I never saw a single elk on that hunt.

A few years later I killed my first bull near where I booked the gun hunt. I was hunting on my own. Packing it out 12 miles was one hell of an experience. A few years later I began killing elk consistently where I’d done the outfitted bow hunt. I got better at hunting both areas than the guides I had hired. But my point is that there are many people myself included who have experienced elkless elk hunts and realize the value of just seeing elk when you know nothing about them or the area they live in.

One thing I have told guys is first you need to learn how to get around in the mountains. Become comfortable beng in such big country and camping there before your mind can start to learn how to effectively hunt there. It’s a learning process. Before you hunt you will simply explore and learn from your mistakes. If you see an elk while you are doing that you won’t know why it was there, where it came from or where it was going. It’s like sitting the first piece of a puzzle on the table. But you’ll log that sighting in the back of your mind and over time as you sit more pieces of the puzzle on the table they will start to fit together until eventually you’ll start to see the picture that they come together to make.
Indian Summer

Postby Indian Summer » 02 07, 2018 •  [Post 14]

Navesgane wrote:To find a hunting partner that's serious and dedicated to all aspects involved in hunting.

Do you care if they are experienced?

I’m surprised more people don’t get together from the Looking For a Partner thread.
Indian Summer

Postby southernelk » 02 07, 2018 •  [Post 15]

taking my son on his second western hunt. He was able to tag out on a muley last time. goal this time, any legal elk
southernelk

Postby Sticknstringer » 02 08, 2018 •  [Post 16]

If I draw I'd like for my brother and I both to have an opportunity . Last year we hunted sage flats and lower elevation, This year were looking at much higher elevation. I'm hoping we both have an enjoyable hunt that we can learn for future years.
Sticknstringer

Postby Indian Summer » 02 08, 2018 •  [Post 17]

Sticknstringer wrote:If I draw I'd like for my brother and I both to have an opportunity . Last year we hunted sage flats and lower elevation, This year were looking at much higher elevation. I'm hoping we both have an enjoyable hunt that we can learn for future years.

Elk can be low. Elk are always up high. Good luck!
Indian Summer

Postby Old school » 02 08, 2018 •  [Post 18]

Pretty simple goal for me this year - to be able to just go.

--Mitch
Old school

Postby Joe Schmo » 02 08, 2018 •  [Post 19]

I should draw a type 9 tag in Wyoming this year. I have set a goal of a 330 bull...for no significant reason whatsoever. I know that it could be done and I know that I'd have to get lucky...however I'm planning on hunting my rear off for 7 days in an attempt to make that luck happen. If I shoot a 310 bull or raghorn will it be a failure? No. If I fail to fill my tag will it be a failure? Hard to argue against that one, but I'm sure that I'd have excuses and justifications :)
Joe Schmo

Postby Indian Summer » 02 08, 2018 •  [Post 20]

A 330 is a lofty goal anywhere in 7 days. Best of luck!
Indian Summer

Postby Thunderfoot » 02 08, 2018 •  [Post 21]

1. Guide my son to his first hunting success, whether it's turkey hunting this spring, or chasing grouse during elktember! He just passed Hunters safety and will be 8 in May. He's super excited to do any kind of hunting now!

2. Have fun while hunting. In years past, I didn't necessarily consider a hunt successful unless myself or someone in our group killed something. Looking back now, I had a great time on those hunts and still considered them failures because we were unsuccessful. From now on I will appreciate each hunt, successful or not, for t eh time shared with friends and family

3. Kill an animal with my bow. I have shot bulls and a mule deer buck with rifle and muzzleloader. New to the archery game.
Thunderfoot

First Name: Josh
Last Name: S.

Postby Roosiebull » 02 08, 2018 •  [Post 22]

Joe Schmo wrote:I should draw a type 9 tag in Wyoming this year. I have set a goal of a 330 bull...for no significant reason whatsoever. I know that it could be done and I know that I'd have to get lucky...however I'm planning on hunting my rear off for 7 days in an attempt to make that luck happen. If I shoot a 310 bull or raghorn will it be a failure? No. If I fail to fill my tag will it be a failure? Hard to argue against that one, but I'm sure that I'd have excuses and justifications :)

I don't know Joe, I don't know if I trust anyone who calls a 310" bull a raghorn :lol:

Look forward to that hunt recap though, with those expectations, you must be hunting a pretty awesome place.
Roosiebull

Postby Joe Schmo » 02 08, 2018 •  [Post 23]

We’ll see. It’ll take $500 worth of preference points for starters so it should be “good” right? And I said 310 or raghorn. A 310 bull is a HOG DONKEY of a elk!! Personally I’m tired of big bull hunts...there’s plenty of respectable 260-300” OTC herd bulls out there that a guy should be dammed proud of...eh ElkNut? This is one of two hunts I have left in my life where I’m really gonna set high expectations/goals....if not, why spend the points/money/time to try and get a top shelf tag?? I may sound like a jackass in all this but I’m all about the experience and I really look forward to the day when I can just hunt OTC with my buddies as opposed to a awesome tag by myself :( I’m also half looking forward to NOT DRAWING and hunting OTC with my buddies in chase of the elusive 173” 3x4 raghorn!!!
Joe Schmo

Postby Roosiebull » 02 09, 2018 •  [Post 24]

Haha, that makes more sense! I missed the "or" :lol:
Roosiebull

Postby otcWill » 02 09, 2018 •  [Post 25]

I'm hoping for a tag in AZ or NM. If that doesn't come I may actually give the elk a break this year and concentrate my efforts on high country mulies.
otcWill

Postby Indian Summer » 02 09, 2018 •  [Post 26]

otcWill wrote:I'm hoping for a tag in AZ or NM. If that doesn't come I may actually give the elk a break this year and concentrate my efforts on high country mulies.

Heck yeah Will find some big mulies because I’m banking the points and looking forward to coming out!
Indian Summer

Postby otcWill » 02 09, 2018 •  [Post 27]

We are cut from the same cloth Joe. Too obsessed with elk to ever bother the deer much :)
otcWill

Postby Lefty » 02 09, 2018 •  [Post 28]

I should maybe add to get my daughter any archery elk. If elk interactions are 1/2 of last year, we will put elk in the freezer.
Still debating putting my wife in for an October draw tag, and maybe late season cow tags, If Im really retired it will happen 8-)
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Indian Summer » 02 09, 2018 •  [Post 29]

otcWill wrote:We are cut from the same cloth Joe. Too obsessed with elk to ever bother the deer much :)

Exactly! It’s easy to rack up deer points. My hunting time is limited these days. But I really do want to hunt for a truly big mulie buck. I think I’ll go out one year and shoot a cow elk in a day or two then hunt deer. Don’t forget me!
Indian Summer

Postby otcWill » 02 09, 2018 •  [Post 30]

You once told me, "I have a memory like an elephant". So do I ;)
otcWill

Postby Navesgane » 02 09, 2018 •  [Post 31]

Indian Summer wrote:
Navesgane wrote:To find a hunting partner that's serious and dedicated to all aspects involved in hunting.

Do you care if they are experienced?

I’m surprised more people don’t get together from the Looking For a Partner thread.

Not at all but being somewhat local, enough to meet up/scout/condition a few times a year outside of hunting season would be more along the lines of what I'm hoping for.
Instagram @jeff.reilly1
Navesgane

First Name: Jeff

Postby Scott69 » 02 10, 2018 •  [Post 32]

Hoping my son draws a great muzzleloader tag in Colorado.His odds are 50/50 so I'll keep my fingers crossed.This will be our last hunt together for a few years.After Sept.,he heads to boot camp for the US Navy.Super proud of his decision,and glad I bought him points since he was 12.He wants some type 6 tags for antelope too.I took him for elk and antelope in Wyoming 2 years ago and he loves the goat hunting/eating.
And maybe,I'll draw my Wyoming elk tag.I'll know in a couple weeks.If we don't draw any elk tags,I'll take him to Prince of Wales for an early season alpine blacktail hunt
Scott69

Postby Roosiebull » 02 10, 2018 •  [Post 33]

Scott69 wrote:Hoping my son draws a great muzzleloader tag in Colorado.His odds are 50/50 so I'll keep my fingers crossed.This will be our last hunt together for a few years.After Sept.,he heads to boot camp for the US Navy.Super proud of his decision,and glad I bought him points since he was 12.He wants some type 6 tags for antelope too.I took him for elk and antelope in Wyoming 2 years ago and he loves the goat hunting/eating.
And maybe,I'll draw my Wyoming elk tag.I'll know in a couple weeks.If we don't draw any elk tags,I'll take him to Prince of Wales for an early season alpine blacktail hunt

Sounds like you guys are going to have a great fall regardless!
Roosiebull

Postby six » 02 11, 2018 •  [Post 34]

I'm taking my wife, my son (14) and my grandson (14) to archery elk camp this year. Wapiti 18will be our family vacation. First of all I'm praying for a safe trip. My goal will be to get each boy within range of at least one elk. The rest is up to them. Don't know if I've ever been more excited about an elk hunt.
Elk are where you find em...
six

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Cool

Postby Old school » 02 11, 2018 •  [Post 35]

Mark - that sounds like the makings of an awesome vacation. Disney World has nothing in comparison to the vacation you are planning. One bit of unsolicited advice - take time to “smell the roses” along the way. Having a couple of 14 year olds along the way, they might want to spend a day fishing that stream - let them. They probably won’t have the drive/stamina/determination that you have. Don’t make killing an elk the make or break of the hunt. They will be more apt to get the elk fever if they enjoy the trip. At least that’s the balance I’ve tried to find with my boys. It needs to be hard enough to build some character but not so brutal as to drive them away from the sport. And every kid is different.

Hope you enjoy a great hunt and end up with a couple of elk down! Just make sure to leave at least one there for me :-)

-Mitch
Old school

Postby saddlesore » 02 11, 2018 •  [Post 36]

I set the bar very low. I just want to go elk hunting.Don't even care if I tag one.
saddlesore

Postby Old school » 02 11, 2018 •  [Post 37]

Vince - sounds like we’ve got the same goal this year.

-Mitch
Old school

Postby Cbb » 02 11, 2018 •  [Post 38]

Had a fun first western hunt in 2017. Missed a cow.

Goal this year...don't miss!

Of course I'd like a bull but will take the first legal elk that walks in.

To all you guys wanting to get out there for your first hunt...GO!! Stop waiting and wishing. Take the first legal elk that comes in. Enjoy it. This PA boy had a blast in Montana!
Cbb

Postby elkstalker » 02 12, 2018 •  [Post 39]

Just moved back to Montana so I plan on revisiting some of my old spots and finding some new ones as well. Would like to bring my son (9 years old) on a few hunts. My main goals are to fill the freezer and to get out in the mountains as much as possible. I don't need a huge bull, just to keep us fed on elk for the whole year :D
elkstalker

Postby powderfinger » 02 12, 2018 •  [Post 40]

Lefty wrote:Hopefully Ill still be retired,.. that means hunting possibilities other than Friday night and Saturday. :D
I plan to set up a "real" camp. a wall tent and a supply tent. Make the place nice and comfortable for my wife and granddaughter for a few Friday night camps.

Yes this is part of my elk goal,.. hunt sandhill crane during the elk season, maybe archery antelope during the elk season too. Is there still over the counter antelope in Wyoming??
the goal , kill any elk I feel like it,.. and some other September game, if it is way early maybe a 2nd tag and go for a bigger bull?
Spend a day or to hunting with my neigbor in their camp.

Maybe bust in on someone elses camp from Wapiti talk!

> I love the old school feel of this Lefty !
powderfinger

Postby Roosiebull » 02 25, 2018 •  [Post 41]

Swede's thread "half way" made me realize my primary goal this year, and I think the root of the reason I want a small bull.... I just want to make a perfect shot if I let an arrow go... that is THE GOAL, the only one that matters to me in 2018.
Roosiebull

Postby CurlyTail » 02 26, 2018 •  [Post 42]

Goals are great motivators.

I am having my L. Hip replaced in 2 weeks so my first goal it to just go elk hunting.

My second goal would be to enjoy the hunt

My third goal would be any legal Elk. Which includes spikes and cows in my area.

Rosie - my spike bull from 2 years ago was an awesome experience. Best eating ever. Don't you think a European skull mount of a spike would look cool on the wall?
Mine broke his spike tumbling downhill so I didn't get that done but I sure want to.
CurlyTail

First Name: Jim
Last Name: B.

Postby Roosiebull » 02 27, 2018 •  [Post 43]

you bet, I have a box full of spike racks from years past, I still enjoy looking at them like any other antlers I have, they all bring back the hunt... and even the season, which is my favorite thing about antlers. I think they all hold value, not just the big ones.

sure would like to wipe that fork bull off my bucket list also :D that is a super rare antler configuration around here. I have only seen a small handful of them ever.
Roosiebull

Postby Tigger » 02 27, 2018 •  [Post 44]

Mine is pretty simple. For my 70 year old Dad to get an elk. He is working out at the gym already, practicing his elk calls and listening to Elknut, so he is pretty serious.
Tigger

Postby Mathewsz7-elkridge » 02 27, 2018 •  [Post 45]

My goal is it kill my first elk. Third time is the charm right? ;) going solo this year more than likely. First years partner was a good match. Last years partner cant make it. Going to be fun can't wait!
Mathewsz7-elkridge

Postby Roosiebull » 02 27, 2018 •  [Post 46]

Mathewsz7-elkridge wrote:My goal is it kill my first elk. Third time is the charm right? ;) going solo this year more than likely. First years partner was a good match. Last years partner cant make it. Going to be fun can't wait!

good luck man!

hope third time is your charm, it took me 4 seasons, but it made that first elk so meaningful, still a VERY vivid memory, and it got much easier after that first one.
Roosiebull

Postby Swede » 02 27, 2018 •  [Post 47]

Mathewsz7-elkridge wrote:My goal is it kill my first elk. Third time is the charm right? going solo this year more than likely. First years partner was a good match. Last years partner cant make it. Going to be fun can't wait!

Roosie is right. After you get your first one, they get easier. You learn as you go and can apply the things that you know on your next hunt. It seems like you are in the dark for awhile, but things will begin to dawn on you after some failures. Don't give up if the third time is not the charm, but I think it can be. Try some new things. Be patient and persistent.
Swede

Postby Mathewsz7-elkridge » 02 28, 2018 •  [Post 48]

Swede wrote:
Mathewsz7-elkridge wrote:My goal is it kill my first elk. Third time is the charm right? going solo this year more than likely. First years partner was a good match. Last years partner cant make it. Going to be fun can't wait!

Roosie is right. After you get your first one, they get easier. You learn as you go and can apply the things that you know on your next hunt. It seems like you are in the dark for awhile, but things will begin to dawn on you after some failures. Don't give up if the third time is not the charm, but I think it can be. Try some new things. Be patient and persistent.

Yeah I have learned a lot for sure. Differently have an idea on where the elk will be this fall. Thinking of even hanging a stand and putting a camera over a natural mineral site!

No matter what I won't give up and it will be fun!
Mathewsz7-elkridge

Postby Swede » 02 28, 2018 •  [Post 49]

The key to a good tree stand site for elk is to find a spot where the elk frequent. That is the same idea as for Whitetails. The difference is, you can look for water holes, trails or saddles that are getting significant use. You can tree stand hunt the same stand all day, every day, or just part of the time. If I am going to part time hunt a stand, I prefer the afternoons especially at water holes. Others prefer mornings. Much of that depends on our stand location.
If you don't have the tree stand hunting R.M elk book you might want to pick one up. They are sold here. If you are saving all you can, and are having a hard time stretching your funds, pick through the tree stand forum for thoughts, and don't hesitate to ask questions.
Swede

Postby >>>---WW----> » 02 28, 2018 •  [Post 50]

I don't have anything to prove and I'm not trying to sell anyone a bill of goods. So I suppose I'm like Saddlesore and Old School. I just want to go and really don't care if I get one or not. I've taken probably more than my share in the past.
>>>---WW---->

Postby Swede » 02 28, 2018 •  [Post 51]

>>>---WW----> wrote: don't have anything to prove and I'm not trying to sell anyone a bill of goods. So I suppose I'm like Saddlesore and Old School. I just want to go and really don't care if I get one or not. I've taken probably more than my share in the past.

Bill, you are in an entirely different position than a person trying to get their first elk. Another huge difference is in the amount of money it costs you to go hunting, plus the amount of scouting you can do and have done in your hunting area.
I can only go with what I see in your comment. Since you write about selling "a bill of goods" and it comes right after I mentioned the tree stand book, I assume you are referring to that. I don't know if you have seen one or not. Anyway, pretty much everything I have to offer in the book has been posted here at some point or another. It Is free. The tree stand book just puts it together in a logical easy to follow manner.
I welcome any and all critiques and opinions on the book. If someone thinks it is "a bill of goods, explain your reasoning". That is fair. I have pushed back at what I saw as excessive claims about products, that I thought were a little misleading. I have also given support to those same professionals when I believed they were subject to some personal vendetta.
I really believe that all hunters elk can find good information on this site that can improve their chances of success on their next hunt. I too have killed a lot of elk and hunted many years. I have not arrived at a point where I can not learn. In fact I find elk hunting still challenging, still exciting and sometimes down right frustrating.
Swede

Postby natek24 » 02 28, 2018 •  [Post 52]

My goals are pretty simple.

First goal is to find a place in Colorado to go. Should be fairly easy.
Second goal is to see elk.
Final goal would be to shoot an elk.

I would be happy with the first 2.
natek24

Postby Swede » 02 28, 2018 •  [Post 53]

natek, please don't be satisfied with just fulfilling the first two. We rarely exceed what minimum satisfies us. If just seeing elk will satisfy you, save the money you would spend on a tag and buy beef. Then you can visit Colorado and take pictures and meet more than your stated goal.
Occasionally I go home with my tag still in my pack, but I am not satisfied. I think being driven keeps me hunting longer and much more focused. If you are ok with just seeing an elk, what is going to get you out early and to stay when you are tired, sore and frustrated? I was gone hunting for 40 days last season. I got one small elk. I was not satisfied and hope for better next season. I messed up and should have done much better.
Sure, I hunt for fun and enjoy being out. But ultimately it is still all about shooting an elk. Stick around here and we will do our best to help you fill your tag. It will be great to see your mug shot on the W.T 2018 meat pole.
Swede

Postby ishy » 03 01, 2018 •  [Post 54]

My real goal is to help my archery mentor get his biggest bull. I just dropped 16 points and shared them with his 3 to get le tags in Utah. If numbers stay the same we should have 90% odds of drawing Wasatch. It's not a top unit but one I have old experience with and friends have hunted it the last two years. So we have great recent intel. He is a 10%er and kills elk yearly, but hasn't gotten anything he thought big enough to mount. He is now 60 and in great shape, but not getting younger.
ishy

First Name: Bryan
Last Name: L

Postby jmez » 03 01, 2018 •  [Post 55]

Same as every year. Shoot a legal elk with a bow. It will be a cow or calf this year as I have an antlerless tag.
jmez

First Name: jason
Last Name: mez

Postby Roosiebull » 03 01, 2018 •  [Post 56]

Swede wrote: I have not arrived at a point where I can not learn. In fact I find elk hunting still challenging, still exciting and sometimes down right frustrating.

I think that is one of the main motivations for hunting, and becoming slightly obsessed with it like many of us are (notice I added slightly so it doesn't seem like a psychological issue :D ) the rate which you keep learning never plateaus, we keep on learning at a relatively high rate, and that is how we get so sucked in, it's still not easy after several years, and we keep getting more efficient, so we cannot wait to get back out there and apply the knowledge we learned the prior season :D

once we get there and start applying all of this newly found knowledge, we realize we didn't find the holy grail of killing monster bulls, and now we still need to :lol:

looking into the future, with all of the pending possibilities, it feels like this season will be an easy one..... but I have been at it long enough to know, it's a misconception. it will be exciting, frustrating and challenging.... if it wasn't, I don't know I would love it as I do. something as simple as making a 7 or 8yd shot isn't as easy as face value, and in all reality, that should be about the easiest thing to accomplish with all of the year round bow shooting I do.

WW, just getting out there and doing it is the most important part. if I do not kill an elk this year I will not be bummed out. I agree, it's a blessing just to do it, and I will try hard while in the woods, and the chips will land where they do, and I will thoroughly enjoy the process regardless of the outcome. of course I want to fill my tag, but that aspect isn't why I do it. if I just wanted to fill my tag, I would likely buy a damage control tag for 1k, and kill a nice tender cow in a pasture.

the whole process is where the fun is, all of the preparation, the scouting, the shooting, and the pursuit, and anticipation. without all of the aspects of the hunt, it wouldn't be near as enjoyable to me, and I don't think I deserve an elk anymore than anyone else.

we can make a hunt as challenging as we want, but it's pretty tough to make a hunt "easy" there is lots of mystery in what a season holds for us, and just being there doing it is plenty for me.
Roosiebull

Postby BrowTines » 03 03, 2018 •  [Post 57]

This last Fall it was very dry and because of fire risk the ranchers refused access. Our efforts on public land turned up nothing - we even tried going back deep and explore new territory. The only thing I saw all year was a single spiker. Never heard or saw a shootable animal. The year before wolves had chased the elk out of the country (I acutally saw it happening before the season). That was frustrating. We are weeked warriors so the window for spotting and hunting is extremely short. There are years when we find the elk and we have been successful in harvesting elk ...so my goal for this year is to find the elk. Once that has been accomplished I am sure my goals will change.
BrowTines

Postby Roosiebull » 06 28, 2018 •  [Post 58]

my goals have changed :D

I saw the biggest velvet roosie I have ever seen the other day, he is gonna be a PIG! and the other bull I found last year I should have pics of..... looking forward to scouting those 2 all summer, but that isn't the change, I will not be hunting either. if time allows, I will still be looking for the smallest bull I can find, I have a couple reasons I have chose that goal.

the big change is a very good friend drew the most coveted elk tag in the state, Weneha :o he drew in the 25% pool, it was unexpected. he texts me with the news, then asks if I will go with him. this is a big deal, I have been hunting with him the past couple years a good deal, and we have been buddies since middle school. for one, I cannot miss the opportunity to go see Weneha, and be a part of hunting it, and I would love to see him do well with this tag, so I am putting my tag on the back burner.

I have never missed an opener hunting roosies, but there isn't anything bittersweet about the decision, it's going to be a really fun hunt. he is relatively new to archery hunting, about 5 yrs, and has been getting more into it every year. he impressed me last year with his common sense in a hunting situation, he is savvy beyond his years. he is sharp and decisive (I think being a LEO has something to do with that) and I think we will do well over there, considering our lack of knowledge about hunting rockies.

I told him at least the first week, but I could see staying if he doesn't have a punched tag. I may focus all of my hunting effort with him this fall, if that's what it takes. looking forward to the new challenge, and looking forward to that type of hunting. a perfect year to decide to sharpen up my calling game :mrgreen: should be a great elk season.

he told me to bring my bow because there are lots of bear over there..... I told him he's crazy if he thinks i'm going to give up hunting time to mess with a bear I can shoot almost all year.
Roosiebull

Postby Swede » 06 28, 2018 •  [Post 59]

Good luck to you and your friend Roosie. Are you going deep into the wilderness?
Swede

Postby Joe Schmo » 06 28, 2018 •  [Post 60]

With the WA results...two bulls, 650”...dream BIG my friends
Joe Schmo

Postby Elkhntr08 » 06 29, 2018 •  [Post 61]

My goal is now being able to get out west. This work thing is taking up too much of my time. Was planning on Colorado’s 2nd season, no archery season this year. Work thing.
Now I have training in Pittsburgh and wife has a awards banquet in Iowa in October, work thing. Looking like 3rd season now. Wife is looking at retiring next year and I think I’ll join her.
Bottom line, I will find a place and time to hunt elk this year. Got to have my fix!
Elkhntr08

Postby Fridaythe13th » 06 29, 2018 •  [Post 62]

Elkhntr08 wrote:My goal is now being able to get out west. This work thing is taking up too much of my time. Was planning on Colorado’s 2nd season, no archery season this year. Work thing.
Now I have training in Pittsburgh and wife has a awards banquet in Iowa in October, work thing. Looking like 3rd season now. Wife is looking at retiring next year and I think I’ll join her.
Bottom line, I will find a place and time to hunt elk this year. Got to have my fix!

Iowa in October do you know what's in Iowa BIG bucks, I would go with the wife.
Fridaythe13th

First Name: Eric
Last Name: S

Postby Lsb » 07 08, 2018 •  [Post 63]

My oldest daughter is shooting enough pounds to bowhunt. Putting a bull in her lap and seeing what happens is going to be great.
Lsb