Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Sound effects

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Sound effects

Postby Lefty » 02 06, 2018 •  [Post 1]

Ok I need hearing aids. Too much driving with windows down, powertools, metal work, school shop, students.
While I can still hear geese over a mile away when nobody else hears them I missed our on a bunch of bugling bulls this year , and some were close. My daughter was in disbelief that I wasnt hearing them . Over a hill with a side wind a bull responded the last bugle was under 150 yards,.. around a hill and wind. I never heard him
Another time 125 yards strong wings Im over a ridge , my daughters on the ridge and upwind of a short deep canyon. the bull was having a fit,.. the cows smelled my daughter but the bull wanted to fight,.. then left with his cows.
My wife and I sat on a ridgeline I could hear bulls from 6 directions, she could hear a dozen different bulls.
Anyone else have problems hearing bugles?
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Re: Sound effects

Postby Swede » 02 06, 2018 •  [Post 2]

I still hear bugling bulls, but for some reason my wife is convinced I need hearing aids. Bad! :D
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: Sound effects

Postby elkfuler » 02 08, 2018 •  [Post 3]

My left ear was damaged from ear infection when I was young. It's mostly useless ( for hearing). I have no idea what all I don't hear, lol. I do still hear bugles pretty well it seems. And a bugle often lasts long enough for me to get a general direction. With only one ear that works makes direction identification damn challenging. If I hear a branch break or something short duration like that it's tough to tell where. Hearing loss from exposure to noise such as your case should benefit well from hearing aids.
elkfuler