Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

What's Good?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

What's Good?

Postby Swede » 02 06, 2018 •  [Post 1]

Ok, It is the first morning of the season. You have a small herd of elk coming your way. You see a couple of spikes and some cows. As they mill around you have the opportunity to shoot either a spike or cow. What will you shoot if anything?

I would take a legal cow because I like eating elk meat. The antlers are great, but I go with the adage "never pass up on the first day what you would take on the last." Besides I still have a deer tag and can stay our as long as I want.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: What's Good?

Postby saddlesore » 02 06, 2018 •  [Post 2]

The only reason I would take the spike is I would be darn sure it was less than 2 years old.Some of those 6-7 year old cows can be mighty chewy.If I could be selective and see a smaller cow that looks younger,I might take that one. I usually have at least a half an elk in my freezer, a few deer and a few antelope,so I would not be against taking a yearling either
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Tigger » 02 06, 2018 •  [Post 3]

Swede, I absolutely do NOT subscribe to the old adage, "never pass on the first day what you would take on the last". I just have a different point of view. I passed up a cow on Day 1 of my first ever archery elk hunt. How did that end? I shot a 6X6 on the last day. Most of the time, that will not happen however. Most of the time, that will result in tag soup. But I am okay with that. I get plenty of deer meat. The biggest thing for me is that if I shoot something on the first day, my hunt is over for the year. I don't want that to happen as I just plain enjoy hunting so much. Plus, I just enjoy shooting a bull. You can't shoot a bull (or a big bull) if you have already shot a cow (or a spike). My point of view isn't for everyone for sure, but it works for me.

The last day? Sure, I might drop the string on a cow or spike. Maybe even the second to last day or sooner depending on how the hunt is going and what the weather is like. Lots of variables. For anybody thinking about subscribing to this theory, I will say this....you need to be okay with not filling your tag. If it is important to you to "tag out" this isn't the strategy for you!
Tigger

Postby Roosiebull » 02 06, 2018 •  [Post 4]

saddlesore wrote:The only reason I would take the spike is I would be darn sure it was less than 2 years old.Some of those 6-7 year old cows can be mighty chewy.If I could be selective and see a smaller cow that looks younger,I might take that one. I usually have at least a half an elk in my freezer, a few deer and a few antelope,so I would not be against taking a yearling either

You took my thoughts exactly, I know the age of the spike, and I have eaten some tough cow meat, big ol white cow, the biggest one there.... not wise.

I'm actually hoping for this scenario this year, I want a spiker, preferably one with the really light red mane, and white body "blonde spike"

About a third are like that, and at some point I want one of those hides to tan. Not sure if Rocky spikes get that color, but roosies do, they are pretty animals.

I want some nice tender steaks this year
Roosiebull

Postby Roosiebull » 02 06, 2018 •  [Post 5]

Tigger, I also agree with you, I have passed elk that I would be very happy with the last day, I like letting the season unfold, and know the deal, it may be risky, but that's ok.

I don't have a victim mentality, and have no issue owning my mistakes. It has never cost me an elk, but it could have. Depends on the season, and the day itself.

I usually get less picky pretty quick anyhow :D
Roosiebull

Postby Swede » 02 06, 2018 •  [Post 6]

For those that would take a cow, here is something I have learned. Just because she is dry and fat is no reason to believe she will be tender. Just because she is big is no reason to think she will be tough. Big and old equals tough even if they are fat.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby scubohuntr » 02 06, 2018 •  [Post 7]

Swede wrote:Ok, It is the first morning of the season. You have a small herd of elk coming your way. You see a couple of spikes and some cows. As they mill around you have the opportunity to shoot either a spike or cow. What will you shoot if anything?

I would take a legal cow because I like eating elk meat. The antlers are great, but I go with the adage "never pass up on the first day what you would take on the last." Besides I still have a deer tag and can stay our as long as I want.

This is why I'm going to be getting a B tag this year. My son-in-law is coming out for rifle season, but I'm certainly going to be out and about with the bow long before that. But I really don't want to be "all done" before he gets here. If I can call in a mentally deficient bull early, I'll still have the cow tag for rifle season. If I arrow a cow, I can be pretty choosy and concentrate on getting him a shot at a bull in November. Besides, Landjäger sausage and biltong for hunting camp. If I strike out completely, I'm only out an extra nineteen bucks. Same as the "just in case" lion and wolf tags. So in the above scenario (if it's the first day of bow season), I'd probably take a cow on the B tag, but I wouldn't want to shut down my big bull fantasies that early. On the first day of rifle season, I'd probably take a spike.
scubohuntr

Postby Lefty » 02 06, 2018 •  [Post 8]

Tigger wrote:Swede, I absolutely do NOT subscribe to the old adage, "never pass on the first day what you would take on the last". I just have a different point of view. I passed up a cow on Day 1 of my first ever archery elk hunt. How did that end? I shot a 6X6 on the last day. Most of the time, that will not happen however. Most of the time, that will result in tag soup. But I am okay with that. I get plenty of deer meat. The biggest thing for me is that if I shoot something on the first day, my hunt is over for the year. I don't want that to happen as I just plain enjoy hunting so much. Plus, I just enjoy shooting a bull. You can't shoot a bull (or a big bull) if you have already shot a cow (or a spike). My point of view isn't for everyone for sure, but it works for me.

The last day? Sure, I might drop the string on a cow or spike. Maybe even the second to last day or sooner depending on how the hunt is going and what the weather is like. Lots of variables. For anybody thinking about subscribing to this theory, I will say this....you need to be okay with not filling your tag. If it is important to you to "tag out" this isn't the strategy for you!

Im the same way. Now that I might have time to kill two elk a year I may switch to anything the first week then hold out for the bull. I have passed on lots of oppurtunities in the past want a bigger bull,.. We have plenty of game in the freezer past years,..
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Roosiebull » 02 06, 2018 •  [Post 9]

Swede wrote:For those that would take a cow, here is something I have learned. Just because she is dry and fat is no reason to believe she will be tender. Just because she is big is no reason to think she will be tough. Big and old equals tough even if they are fat.

Roger that!

The last cow I shot was 4 or 5 yrs ago, didn't kill a bull 1st season, and always draw my late cow option just in case I fail 1st season.

It's big fun, those things are on point after rifle season, I think it's the lowest success rate elk tag in the state (3-4%) I was having one of those days, think I bumped them 4 times that day, last time I snuck in close, elk bedded all over, but 50yds behind them was private property, and I decided it was not responsible to shoot there. The wind finally switched, and once again, I'm sucking wind trying to cut them off, which I failed to do.

They went to national forest, and this whole zone I know really well, I was able to get ahead of them, and snuck the last few yds, not I had 3 in front of me, all broadside, and I picked the smallest in the group and shot, I was happy I did.

Several years prior, I did the opposite, shot the biggest one in the group, and she was as tough as an old bull... lesson learned apparently :D
Roosiebull

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 02 06, 2018 •  [Post 10]

No way Jose'. I am not ending my season on day one with a meat elk. I love the vocalization interaction with bulls in Elktember way too much to give that up on day one. Maybe one day, when the woods have gone silent after the wolves have ate them all, or it has became illegal to talk to/coerce elk because it's been deemed too barbaric or socially unacceptable, then perhaps I'll revert a bit but for now... no. I dream, plan, condition, prepare, and wait much to long every year for that magical time in the elk woods when the bulls are doing their thing and the deep draws are ringing with amorous bulls. Yes sir, this has resulted in un punched tags for me for sure but no regrets, not a one.

WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Joe Schmo » 02 06, 2018 •  [Post 11]

“Never pass the first day what you would shoot the last” so much about that makes no sense and I loath that statement. Are we starving to death? Do our wives leave us if we return empty handed? Do we plan hunting trips all year to end them in a few hours?
Sorry.
My answer. If in my horrid state of Washington I hit the jackpot and have a spike elk (the only thing we can legally kill in most units) within striking distance I’m the luckiest guy in earth and he’s gonna be in a world of hurt.
However if I’ve spent hundreds of dollars, countless hours preparing, planning, working out, shooting and driving to a hunt I don’t shoot a spike or cow until the last 45 minutes of the hunt....at which point a mature bull will promptly step out at 33 yards broadside.
Joe Schmo

Postby otcWill » 02 07, 2018 •  [Post 12]

Well said, RJ. My sentiments exactly. I too, don't buy the old "don't pass the first what you'd shoot on the last" statement. Couldn't be more backwards for me but certainly a personal decision.
otcWill

Postby Elkhunttoo » 02 07, 2018 •  [Post 13]

No shot for me. I like going out to much to end it early
Elkhunttoo

Postby saddlesore » 02 07, 2018 •  [Post 14]

Problem here in CO with all the hunting pressure in rifle season is that you will most likely get one chance in a 9 day season to kill an elk.In archery season shot opportunities might be more ,but then again connecting is probably less.
I have shot enough bulls in prior years,that I don't need to shoot more. My ego has been satisfied so to speak.
Good quality meat is my prime consideration
saddlesore

Postby Elkduds » 02 07, 2018 •  [Post 15]

How visible the bottom of the freezer is, that's a factor. Like Saddlesore, I'm only hunting elk for meat, so a cow on opening day is no more attractive than a cow later. I'll be packing it by myself, so I don't necessarily need to wait until the last few days of season. I'll spend a day or 2 packing out. Also, I'm hunting 2 seasons each fall, so that is like 2 halves of a football game. It ain't over @ halftime when there is another season left to hunt.
Elkduds

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Scott

Postby ishy » 02 07, 2018 •  [Post 16]

I have had this happen a few times. I've passed once on a spike 35 yards broadside and oblivious to me. I only passed because he was 12 yards from a buddies son that was leaving for school the next morning. He never shot and they haven't let me live it down since. Pulled the trigger 3 times within the first 2 hours of a hunt. I love being in the woods too, but I would say I love calling for friends almost more than for myself. It is just as fun, but I don't feel any pressure to make it happen when I'm not the shooter. I just get to enjoy the show. One of these times I hope to get that ever elusive kill shot on film.
ishy

First Name: Bryan
Last Name: L