Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Shoot or No Shot 2018, Episode #1

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Shoot or No Shot 2018, Episode #1

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 02 09, 2018 •  [Post 1]

Hunt Pressure Status: Minimal in the area you’re hunting.
Hunt: Partner Hunt
Date: Mid-September (5th day of your 7 day hunt)
Time: 0730ish
Tag: Archery; bull only.

OK, you and your partner have setup in this sparsely timbered, burnt area to call (nice area, right!). After only 10 or 12 minutes of some whiney cow calls and a bit of raking, this handsome devil comes in silent as a mouse, moves from and along the lime green path shown, weaving in and out of the pecker poles. After a nervous bark from the original shooter, Bradley Bull stops in his tracks where he stands now. The original shooter was Johnny on the spot, realized he didn’t have a shot from where he kneeled, so he gave the nervous bark in an attempt to stop the beast so you may have a shot (original caller now becomes the shooter). As the original caller/now shooter in the lower right corner of the scenario, “shoot or no shot” here. You’re at full draw and it appears your shot would be around 23 yards. Thermals as shown (red arrows). Shoot or no shot here?

Elk1 w-Mark up.jpg
Elk1 w-Mark up.jpg (208.2 KiB) Viewed 6702 times

If you're shooting, save the picture to your desktop and open in MS Paint, then place a spot, X, or whatever on the critter before you save it back to a jpg or png and add the marked up pic with your post.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: Shoot or No Shot 2018, Episode #1

Postby lamrith » 02 09, 2018 •  [Post 2]

Man, leave it to RJ to throw up a nasty scenerio. At 23 Yrds, IF I was able to have gotten to draw un-noticed prior to the nervous grunt freezing him, AND I was rock solid holding the pin I would be holding here as the only shot option and reading how twitchy he is. He strolled in nice and relaxed so hopefully not fully on edge, plus my poison arrow decoy is out so he is seeing what he is looking for, and I let her fly.

Near leg is back pretty much closing side shots at the lung entirely. Pocket will get far lung, maybe corner of near. Also lots of plumbing running in that neck area that are open for business.
Attachments
Elk1 w-Mark up.jpg
Elk1 w-Mark up.jpg (206.84 KiB) Viewed 6697 times
'15 Elite E35. 30.5", 67#
100Gr. G5 montecs
Sportsman's Vital Impact 300spine

http://www.pelletpeddler.com
lamrith

First Name: Larry

Postby ElkNut1 » 02 09, 2018 •  [Post 3]

lamrith X2 -- From his dot to a couple inches higher at 23 yards of a standing bull & I'm at full draw then the arrow is on its way!

ElkNut/Paul
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby six » 02 09, 2018 •  [Post 4]

Well here goes. Looks like its going to work. Also looks like I picked the same spot as lamrith. I would give him an extra 30 minutes to an hour unless I see or hear him go down.

MyShot.jpg
MyShot.jpg (206.77 KiB) Viewed 6678 times
Elk are where you find em...
six

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Cool

Postby Trumkin the Dwarf » 02 09, 2018 •  [Post 5]

I was pushed recently about max range for a frontal shot and I said with my longbow that it was 10-12 yards for an elk. Maybe 15. 23 yards is not gonna cut it, and I'm passing.
Trumkin the Dwarf

First Name: Malachi
Last Name: C

Postby Trumkin the Dwarf » 02 09, 2018 •  [Post 6]

P.S. I'm P.O.ed at my shooter for barking when I was gonna get a broadside shot in 10 yards!
Trumkin the Dwarf

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 02 09, 2018 •  [Post 7]

Trumkin the Dwarf wrote:P.S. I'm P.O.ed at my shooter for barking when I was gonna get a broadside shot in 10 yards!

Whatever! You should have moved back a ways (back farther and more behind me) once you saw that bull break into the opening as the original caller and tried to pull him closer in my direction. Damn Texans, err, Montanans', err, Texans :D.
WapitiTalk1

Postby Trumkin the Dwarf » 02 09, 2018 •  [Post 8]

WapitiTalk1 wrote: Whatever! You should have moved back a ways (back farther and more behind me) once you saw that bull break into the opening as the original caller and tried to pull him closer in my direction. Damn Texans, err, Montanans', err, Texans :D.

Sorry bud! This 6'5" elk slaying machine knows his limits. Namely that my invisibility cloak only works when I hold still. :roll:

And for the record, I'll always be Montanan! I don't pretend to understand the redneck ways of some of the good old boys down here, and I never will.
Besides, I hope to move back some day. Just don't remind my wife... :lol:
Trumkin the Dwarf

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 02 09, 2018 •  [Post 9]

Trumkin the Dwarf wrote:
WapitiTalk1 wrote: Whatever! You should have moved back a ways (back farther and more behind me) once you saw that bull break into the opening as the original caller and tried to pull him closer in my direction. Damn Texans, err, Montanans', err, Texans

And for the record, I'll always be Montanan! I don't pretend to understand the redneck ways of some of the good old boys down here, and I never will.
Besides, I hope to move back some day. Just don't remind my wife... :lol:

I hear ya Malachi, I’ll “always” be a Montana boy, regardless of where I work.
WapitiTalk1

Postby jmez » 02 09, 2018 •  [Post 10]

I'm shooting, same place as elknut, couple inches higher than lamrinth's dot.
jmez

First Name: jason
Last Name: mez

Postby Swede » 02 09, 2018 •  [Post 11]

I am waiting for a better shot. If the wind does not change he will move forward soon. I don't like that angle at that range.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Roosiebull » 02 10, 2018 •  [Post 12]

I'm personally not shooting..... yet
Roosiebull

Postby >>>---WW----> » 02 10, 2018 •  [Post 13]

I'm with Trumpkin. Kinda POed at the caller for barking him. The bull was obviously walking and would have presented a better shot opertunity. (Maybe even a Texas heart shot) I don't know what kind of a Montana shot you would call it! :roll: :lol:

Frontal shots are tricky enough, especially at a moving target as pictured on this bull!
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Indian Summer » 02 10, 2018 •  [Post 14]

With good wind direction and a relaxed bull I see no reason to be in a hurry. Modern bows are easy to hold at full draw. That bull is either going to keep moving giving me a more broadside angle or turn giving me a really good quartering away shot which I love. Patience grasshopper!
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Joe Schmo » 02 10, 2018 •  [Post 15]

I don’t love the shot but I’m with the other guys...maybe a hair higher?
Joe Schmo

Postby Thunderfoot » 02 10, 2018 •  [Post 16]

I'm passing. If my partner, original shooter, gets a shot he can take it. It's mid September and this very respectable bull is lonely! I'm guessing he's already been whipped by a bigger herd bull. I've got two days left to hunt, I'm chasing the big boy, who probably isn't too far away.

Oh, who am I kidding, I'm letting it fly too.
Thunderfoot

First Name: Josh
Last Name: S.

Postby Elkhunttoo » 02 10, 2018 •  [Post 17]

If I was shooting I would shoot just above the dot... but I'm probably holding off for now
Elkhunttoo

Postby Tigger » 02 11, 2018 •  [Post 18]

Interesting one RJ! You have a a split vote here. On one hand you have a bunch of shooters and on the other hand you have a bunch of vegetarians. So after spouting off what would I do? I just don’t know. I cannot decide. I think what would tip the scale for me one way or the other is the bulls body language as this shot developed. I know, a weaselly kind of answer.
Tigger

Postby Indian Summer » 02 11, 2018 •  [Post 19]

One thing I do NOT like to see in these scenarios is “it’s day 5 of your 7 day hunt” That should NOT be a determining factor in whether or not you fling an arrow!!!!! If that is influencing your decision the fact is that desperation is making you decide to shoot.

So I have a question: Those of you who would shoot.... would you change your mind if Instead it said.. “It’s day 1 of your 2 week hunt” Be honest please???
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Tigger » 02 11, 2018 •  [Post 20]

Great point Joe. That would have absolutely no affect on whether I shoot. But realistically, there are other factors that come into play that is hard to emulate on a computer in February. Are you still enthusiastic? Are you exhausted? Are you shaking? Have you been into elk? Is this the first elk you have seen and are likely to see? Are you happy about the rest of you hunt? Is the bull a Packers fan? All these things kinda mush together and whether we want to admit it or not, it plays a factor in our decision making. I like to think I only factor in my ability to humanely kill the elk and nothing else. But we are all human and thus other factors sneak into our heads. What I like about these scenarios is that it makes us think and we will be better prepared for these types of situations when we encounter them in the field and have 0.2541667922157 seconds to make a decision.

I like to think everybody has a "go" line. When a situation with an animal goes beyond that line, we feel we can harvest that animal. That line is different for everyone and even changes by the day! A 40 yard shot on a calm day on an unaware animal is beyond that "go" line for many and an arrow is launched. Hyper alert critter, windy, shaking, etc is probably not across the "go" line and we hold off. I know for me, all of a sudden I realize I can ethically kill that animal and the shot is taken. I cannot tell you how many WT deer I have sat and watched and gave myself the mental "go" even if I wasn't going to shoot it. I say in my head, no....no....wait...wait....okay NOW! And being good at that is the part that separates the fat happy hunters from the unwilling vegetarians!!!
Tigger

Postby Swede » 02 11, 2018 •  [Post 21]

Joe and Tigger: You are making some excellent points. Even the idea that this is the first legal animal I have seen on my hunt should not color the decision to shoot, but it could. I understand the quandary. My fear is that already being at full draw could become a factor in sort of deciding to put just a little pressure on the trigger.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby elkstalker » 02 12, 2018 •  [Post 22]

I'm waiting, not going to rush the shot as I'm not comfortable with the angle. Hopefully he continues right or turns broadside for a better shot!
elkstalker

Postby lamrith » 02 12, 2018 •  [Post 23]

Indian Summer wrote:One thing I do NOT like to see in these scenarios is “it’s day 5 of your 7 day hunt” That should NOT be a determining factor in whether or not you fling an arrow!!!!! If that is influencing your decision the fact is that desperation is making you decide to shoot.

So I have a question: Those of you who would shoot.... would you change your mind if Instead it said.. “It’s day 1 of your 2 week hunt” Be honest please???

Day of hunt for me has zero influence on this one. About the only thing it would influence me on is if it was day 1 and a barely legal bull came in and we KNEW bigger ones were around and vocal.

That said I threw the splinter on the 1st game animal that walked in front of me this year during my elk hunt and it was not an elk. At this point, early in my career, I am taking any ethical shot I can get at anything that is legal regardless of when t is is the hunt.
'15 Elite E35. 30.5", 67#
100Gr. G5 montecs
Sportsman's Vital Impact 300spine

http://www.pelletpeddler.com
lamrith

First Name: Larry

Postby jmez » 02 12, 2018 •  [Post 24]

Day of the hunt wouldn't affect my decision at all. If it was 2 min after legal light on day one I'm shooting if it is a legal elk, cow included.
jmez

First Name: jason
Last Name: mez