Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

New to CO elk hunting

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

New to CO elk hunting

Postby Arrowslinger615 » 02 09, 2018 •  [Post 1]

I'm 17 years old and starting to get into elk hunting. I've always bowhunted whitetail with my dad but I'm not able to hunt with him anymore so I will have to solo hunt. I'm very physically active and I've been backpacking many times before so the solo aspect shouldn't be a problem for me. My mom and sisters and I just moved to Colorado from Tennessee. I've been on elk hunts before with my grandpa who is a guide up in WY, but my mom, sisters and I have seperated from that side of the family and my dad who I used to hunt with. I'm not looking for any handouts or anybody's honey hole so don't get the wrong idea, but any info on where to start beggining my hunt here in CO would be very much appreciated. I've spent hours on the cpw website, hunting atlas, and google earth but I'm still a little hesitant about this coming season. Any advice would be beneficial thank you!
Arrowslinger615

Re: New to CO elk hunting

Postby six » 02 09, 2018 •  [Post 2]

What general area are you looking to hunt?
Elk are where you find em...
six

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Cool

Postby Elkduds » 02 09, 2018 •  [Post 3]

Suggest you check your PM account on Monster Muleys from when you posted this request there recently.
Elkduds

Last Name: Scott

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 02 09, 2018 •  [Post 4]

Really sorry to hear about your family issues and challenges buddy; tough situation I'm sure. Been down that road, got the T shirt but remember, family is forever (even extended family) and hopefully, you can patch up some of the recent issues and move on. OK, there's a bunch of really good folks on this forum.....from the mountain elk states, and, from all over that travel to said states to hunt Wapiti. I know zilch about the Centennial state (well, except that it boast the largest elk herd in the nation) but I'm sure folks will chime in a throw you some tips. I like that you've done some research already, a good start. Like "six" asked, where are you initially targeting to hunt in CO (where do you live)?.. That may prompt some initial responses to you query. Best of luck in your endeavors mister! RJ
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Arrowslinger615 » 02 09, 2018 •  [Post 5]

I've been looking at unit 47. It looks rugged but football has kept me in very good physical condition. I live just outside Boulder CO, and I'm willing to travel a little ways, but nothing over about 4 and a half hours.
Arrowslinger615

Postby Indian Summer » 02 09, 2018 •  [Post 6]

I can’t help you in Colorado. But I’d like to see you buy a Wyoming point this year. If you draw a tag next year I’ll take you to elk heaven. My dad quit hunting the day I was old enough to hunt. I’m completely self taught. My mother used to drive me wherever I asked her and wait in the car while I hunted. I went on to become a hunting machine and an outfitter in Montana. There’s no freaking way I’m going to let you go without a mentor if I can help it. Buy the point!
Joe
http://www.headinwest.net
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Arrowslinger615 » 02 09, 2018 •  [Post 7]

I'll definitely see what I can do. I had a point in Wyoming from a couple years ago I may still have it I'm not sure. But it's nice to know someone has been in the same boat as me. I'm 110% invested into hunting, but my mom wants me to pursue football for my high school as well because I have a chance at a scholarship. Elk season also unfortunately falls right in the middle of football season which means I'm only able to get away to hunt for about three days at a time but I'll see what I can do!
Arrowslinger615

Postby Navesgane » 02 09, 2018 •  [Post 8]

Welcome to Colorado! I don't know enough to give you any advice about your area but would be glad to help on any general advice or about the tag system. There's plenty of time to start learning and scouting your area so don't get too overwhelmed but the season will be here before we know it and if you would consider traveling about 6 hours to SW Colorado I'd be glad to show you around this area and maybe even an elk or two. If you haven't become a resident yet you should work on that as a non-resident license/tag cost is a bit of a shocker.
Instagram @jeff.reilly1
Navesgane

First Name: Jeff

Postby Indian Summer » 02 10, 2018 •  [Post 9]

Saddlesore can you help this young elknut out??
Indian Summer

Postby saddlesore » 02 10, 2018 •  [Post 10]

I'm not familiar with 47 at all. About the best I could do is give general advice.I have pretty much given out all the places I use to hunt to guys on here.Since I hunt with horses and mules, any invites need to have stock also .

My most important bit of advise is that new hunters need to make plans on how they will get their kill out of the field and back to camp.Many think they can it on their back until they pack the first quarter out and find they don't have the ability to go back 3-4 more times and do it again. So this needs to be solved way before the hunt.

I am still typing one finger, one handed, so long post are tough for me.

Go to this;

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthrea ... st12515904

Scroll down to a post by KC. He has the best write up of starting elk hunting I know
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby baddaddy » 02 10, 2018 •  [Post 11]

Can't help you with 47 as I live on the western slope. Welcome to Colorado.
baddaddy

Postby TennMatt » 02 10, 2018 •  [Post 12]

AS 615,

Middle Tennessee, eh? I was raised in Knoxville...

CWP just published their 2018 big game brochure. They also will publish harvest and user-day data in the next little bit. Here's a link to last year's hunt data to help made decisions on which units to hunt: http://cpw.state.co.us/thingstodo/Pages ... s-Elk.aspx

Matt
TennMatt

Postby Arrowslinger615 » 02 10, 2018 •  [Post 13]

Haha yes I am from the 615! Thank y'all for all the great info it's definitely going to help me out a lot. I am worried about getting the elk out if I do get one, so I will have to work something out. Would y'all think it best to go ahead and buy a point here and start saving up or should I wait because I plan to go to college in either Wyoming or Montana and I'll definitely hunt there. I don't know if I should start saving up in a state I won't be a resident in, in a year and a half.
Arrowslinger615

Postby six » 02 11, 2018 •  [Post 14]

saddlesore wrote this in another topic. Its got me thinking about other states after hunting Colorado for over 10 years.

"Colorado is the dumping grounds for all the hunters that didn't draw in other states."
Elk are where you find em...
six

Last Name: Cool

Postby Indian Summer » 02 11, 2018 •  [Post 15]

Not to mention the go to for anyone who is new to elk hunting because of the simplicity of the license system. The go to for bazillion eastern hunters looking for the shortest drive. The go to for people who only look at overall statewide elk numbers instead of elk densities in a particular area. The go to for resident hunters who alone outnumber the entire population of Wyoming. You couldn’t give me a free license to hunt that state!

You won’t see someone from Wyoming or Montana driving down to hunt Colorado but I’ve actually sold hunt plans to Colorado residents. Lots of Colorado residents hunt elsewhere. I’d guess that about 90% of people I sell DIY hunt plans to have invested 1 to 3 years in that state only to become frustrated and are ready to relocate. No doubt there is some beautiful country down there as well as great hunting in hard to get draw units but those OTC units are tough if you don’t live there. OTC Will is an exception to the rule. He’s an elknut! My advice is get started elk hunting where you know you’ll stay. Otherwise it’s like marrying the wrong woman! Who wants to start life over some day!
Indian Summer

Postby Old school » 02 11, 2018 •  [Post 16]

Building up a couple points in Colorado isn’t going to get you into a great unit but it will help. I personally would find a place to hunt that is somewhere close to home so you can get some experience and learn how to hunt elk - even if it’s just hunting a day here and there as you have time. In the meanwhile I’d be building up points in Wyoming so when/if you end up there you’ll have a few points in your pocket already. And if you don’t end up going to school in Wyoming you could still take your accumulated points and go on a hunt as a non resident. And you won’t be heading there with 0 elk hunting experience. You will have learned some valuable lessons by hunting a few years in Colorado OTC. Welcome to the forum by the way!!

-Mitch
Old school

Postby Indian Summer » 02 11, 2018 •  [Post 17]

^^^Killer advice!^^^
Indian Summer

Postby robloft » 02 11, 2018 •  [Post 18]

six wrote:saddlesore wrote this in another topic. Its got me thinking about other states after hunting Colorado for over 10 years.

"Colorado is the dumping grounds for all the hunters that didn't draw in other states."

This is what he told me when I asked about Colorado. It got me to looking into Montana.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
robloft

Postby saddlesore » 02 11, 2018 •  [Post 19]

Indian Summer wrote:Not to mention the go to for anyone who is new to elk hunting because of the simplicity of the license system. The go to for bazillion eastern hunters looking for the shortest drive. The go to for people who only look at overall statewide elk numbers instead of elk densities in a particular area. The go to for resident hunters who alone outnumber the entire population of Wyoming. You couldn’t give me a free license to hunt that state!

You won’t see someone from Wyoming or Montana driving down to hunt Colorado but I’ve actually sold hunt plans to Colorado residents. Lots of Colorado residents hunt elsewhere. I’d guess that about 90% of people I sell DIY hunt plans to have invested 1 to 3 years in that state only to become frustrated and are ready to relocate. No doubt there is some beautiful country down there as well as great hunting in hard to get draw units but those OTC units are tough if you don’t live there. OTC Will is an exception to the rule. He’s an elknut! My advice is get started elk hunting where you know you’ll stay. Otherwise it’s like marrying the wrong woman! Who wants to start life over some day!

That pretty much sums it up.I'd be hunting WY of MT if I could afford it. I hunt ML season,but archery hunters are getting a many as centerfire rifle hunters.Not that I mind,but it's crowded. Most ML units have a small number of tags awarded and there is no OTC.Just about any OTC unit and you have to bring your own parking spot
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Rojo_Grande » 02 12, 2018 •  [Post 20]

Welcome to Colorado. I lurk here a bit but don't post much. Can't help you with unit 47. It is an OTC archery unit and probably gets hit as hard as any being off i-70. As others have mentioned the key to hunting OTC units is to learn them like the back of your hand. Find the little hidey holes that others won't make the effort to get to and that have what elk are looking for, food, water, and shelter. Just get out there and camp, hike, fish, etc. Get to know a unit during different times of the year. Find where the cows hang out in mid-August and you'll find the bulls there in Sept. Lots of info on the CPW site to help you narrow an area down.

http://cpw.state.co.us/thingstodo/Pages ... uides.aspx
http://cpw.state.co.us/thingstodo/Pages ... s-Elk.aspx
https://ndismaps.nrel.colostate.edu/ind ... ntingAtlas

Rojo
Rojo_Grande

Last Name: Ellis