Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Idaho vs Colorado vs Utah

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Idaho vs Colorado vs Utah

Postby Dakota Rookie » 02 11, 2018 •  [Post 1]

Buddy and I are starting to plan our first elk hunt for the fall of 2019 (can't hunt this year to save money and PTO for wedding/honey moon) and was wondering what the opinions were on Idaho, Colorado and Utah for OTC DIY hunts. We've both been on western style hunts in the past and want to step up our game and go after Elk. We're both avid bowhunters but still deciding on Archery vs Rifle hunt. I'm sure as we get further into our planning I'll have another post about rifle vs archery for beginners but for the sake of this thread lets say it's a DIY rifle hunt. Any help with deciding on a state and planning would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance
Dakota Rookie

Re: Idaho vs Colorado vs Utah

Postby Indian Summer » 02 12, 2018 •  [Post 2]

Is there a reason you aren’t considering Wyoming or Montana?
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Dakota Rookie » 02 12, 2018 •  [Post 3]

According to an article from Backcountry Chronicles (link below) Wyoming and Montana do not offer OTC tags to non-residents. Looking on Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks website it looks like they offer an OTC tag but only for anterless elk. As a non resident it looks like I would need to apply for an Elk Combination - General tag to hunt bulls. I'm sure there are units that offer a high probability of drawing a tag and would consider applying if I felt confident. Maybe my research is wrong??

Colorado is on my list because I have family in the area (non elk hunters) and my father used to hunt there but also low on my list because it seems like everyone talks about Colorado and tries to hunt the state. Idaho is on my list because a coworker of mine used to hunt in the northern panhandle of Idaho and could possibly come along for the hunt or at least provide some insight. Utah is being considered simply because it looks like they offer OTC tags. I know little about the state but didn't want to leave it out of consideration.

http://www.backcountrychronicles.com/we ... residents/
Dakota Rookie

Postby Indian Summer » 02 12, 2018 •  [Post 4]

Don’t get caught up in the words OTC. An elk license in Montana is by draw.... but the draw odds are 100%. In Montana and Wyoming the general license is good for all of bow and rifle season. Not the case in Colorado where you have to pick which week of the season you want to hunt.
Indian Summer

Postby elkstalker » 02 12, 2018 •  [Post 5]

I loved hunting Idaho when I lived there. Archery has many more options than rifle as far as decent units go. Sounds like you may be traveling a ways, but many of the archery tags offer late season muzzle loader/rifle cow or spike hunts.
elkstalker

Postby Charina » 02 12, 2018 •  [Post 6]

The majority of UT is managed for trophy elk However, there is OCT spike-only hunting on those limited entry draw units. There are also true OTC bull areas. Look at the reg maps listing "Any Bull" units. The majority of this is in the Unita range in the NE corner (Ashley National Forest). There is definitely elk hunting to be had there, but isn't often seen as an out of state destination.
Charina

Postby Lefty » 02 12, 2018 •  [Post 7]

I think a newer to elk I would suggest Colorado,.. just for the numbers. And more for your first go around.
Each state have areas that are similar,.. each state have areas that are unique.
Having family could be a good reason,.. and so would be someone who has hunted an area before
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Navesgane » 02 12, 2018 •  [Post 8]

The OTC Colorado archery tag is a good one due to the almost infinite areas open to the tag and the either-sex option which is also during the rut and is far less crowded than the rifle seasons. The OTC 2nd & 3rd rifle tags opens the flood gates of hunters.
Instagram @jeff.reilly1
Navesgane

First Name: Jeff

Postby Dakota Rookie » 02 13, 2018 •  [Post 9]

Indian Summer wrote:Don’t get caught up in the words OTC. An elk license in Montana is by draw.... but the draw odds are 100%. In Montana and Wyoming the general license is good for all of bow and rifle season. Not the case in Colorado where you have to pick which week of the season you want to hunt.

Indian Summer - have you hunted Idaho and Montana? Which would you (or anyone else for that matter) recommend for a first timer trying to start off their elk career right. Maybe that’s too broad of a question but it just seems like there’s so many options out there if your willing to travel. Just looking to get into elk this first time and get that first experience to build on.Ive got a lot of time to decide where to go this first time but I’ve seem to have it narrowed down to these two states after more research and reading comments on this site.
Dakota Rookie

Postby Indian Summer » 02 14, 2018 •  [Post 10]

I’ve hunted both. My Idaho spots have some giant bulls but the numbers aren’t that great. I’d go with Montana. Tons of country to pick from and easy to get licenses. Before I started hunting Wyoming I punched 13 tags in a row there and only 2 were cows.
Indian Summer

Postby Old school » 02 14, 2018 •  [Post 11]

I’ve only killed 2 bulls so I’m a rookie no doubt. I’ve killed 1 in Idaho and 1 in Montana. I’m with Indian Summer on this one as well - I prefer Montana (just know the tag is quite a bit more $). Seemed to be fewer hunters where I hunted in Montana in the southern tip of the Bob Marshall. Maybe the presence of Grizzlies keep a lot of hunters away :-)

-Mitch
Old school

Postby Lefty » 02 14, 2018 •  [Post 12]

Indian Summer wrote:I’ve hunted both. My Idaho spots have some giant bulls but the numbers aren’t that great. I’d go with Montana. Tons of country to pick from and easy to get licenses.,,,,

I like chasing around SE Idaho and Montana border lands. I hunted Montana before becoming a Idahoan. And I just may start getting a Montana Rifle tag or a 2nd Idaho tag.

I just like Montana better,.. The only reason we don't live there or haven't bought property in Montana is our three daughters are all in Pocatello.
Lefty

Postby Lefty » 02 14, 2018 •  [Post 13]

Old school wrote:,,,, Maybe the presence of Grizzlies keep a lot of hunters away :-)-Mitch

No maybe about it!!! I tend to avoid one boars territory when I hunt with my daughter, or we dont hike in the dark there at all.
Grizzlies up-the-annie for excitement. 8-)
Lefty

Postby Dakota Rookie » 02 14, 2018 •  [Post 14]

I’d say that grizzlies would ABSOLUTELY add some excitement to a hunt :shock:
Dakota Rookie