Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Shoot or No Shot 2018, Episode #3

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Shoot or No Shot 2018, Episode #3

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 02 15, 2018 •  [Post 1]

Hunt Pressure Status: Minimal in the area you’re hunting.
Hunt: Partner hunt (although your buddy is only calling today/not packing a bow)
Date: Second week of Elktember
Time: 5:00 PM
Tag: Archery; bull only.

As you and your buddy were almost to target spot for the evening hunt (a bench/bedding area you know about), and just as you reach the edge of this opening, your buddy motions that “elk are coming”! Seems like you’re timing isn’t half bad and a small herd of 5-6 cows and a dandy bull are leaving the bedding area early today and heading out to dinner. Your partner motions to a spot for you to set up and after backing up a bit himself, drops to his knees to see what happens and is ready to call if needed. The old lead cow is moving pretty steady at a “move along, we’ve got places to go” pace, walking through the small opening (right to left as you’re facing) with the other ladies in tow. Bullwinkle gives a roar that shakes the trees and you see his antlers now showing above the vegetation as he follows the gals. As he clears the brush, you come to full draw and a split second later, your buddy gives a whiny cow mew/contact buzz which stops the beast in his tracks, where you see him now. This party isn’t lasting long as you know what the wind is doing. You are 35ish yards away from the bull, and, that dead piss fir is hallway between you and the bull.
Thermals as shown (blue arrows). Shoot or no shot here?
Elk2 w-Mark up.jpg
Elk2 w-Mark up.jpg (175.22 KiB) Viewed 6616 times

If you're shooting, save the picture to your desktop and open in MS Paint, then place a spot, X, or whatever on the critter before you save it back to a jpg or png and add the marked up pic with your post.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: Shoot or No Shot 2018, Episode #3

Postby Old school » 02 15, 2018 •  [Post 2]

Bull In Meadow.jpg
Bull In Meadow.jpg (145.14 KiB) Viewed 6614 times

Arrow is on the way. With the elk at 35 yards my arrow flies cleanly over the obstruction half way there and drops into my red dot while missing those nasty shoulder bones with room to spare. At least that's the way it happens in my mind.

--Mitch
Old school

Postby Elkhntr08 » 02 15, 2018 •  [Post 3]

What old school said. Arrow will pas right over the snag. Get out the trail mix, wait 30 and go get started quartering him up.
Elkhntr08

Postby Swede » 02 15, 2018 •  [Post 4]

I agree with Mitch. I would use my 20 yard pin and hold about 2 inches above the red dot he made.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby ElkNut1 » 02 15, 2018 •  [Post 5]

I'm more right here, I want a bit margin for error, I've taken a few with this placement!

ElkNut/Paul
Attachments
Elk2 w-Mark up.jpg
Elk2 w-Mark up.jpg (174.32 KiB) Viewed 6605 times
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby >>>---WW----> » 02 15, 2018 •  [Post 6]

Question? Is that bull really stupid enough to be standing there like that??? If RJ's blue arrows for wind direction are correct. the cows have already caught the callers scent when they came through and they are hauling tail by now. That bull should be doing the same thing for two reasons. (1) He saw the cows bolt and should be instinctively doing the same thing. (2) He is looking at where the call came from and I'll bet he is within a split second of spelling the caller himself.

I have no problem with where the other two posters have placed their little red dots. But in this situation, that bull just isn't going to be standing (still) there like that. He'll most likely be moving through that clearing like a striped a$$ ape.

Just thought I'd put a little more angle to the dangle :twisted: :roll: :lol:
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby ElkNut1 » 02 15, 2018 •  [Post 7]

Yes, I saw what WW did but ignored it & just went with the photo for the shot! In reality he does make a good point! I have taken bulls where the wind was like a game of inches & got lucky. With that said it does appear that bull shouldn't be there with the wind direction as is, but it's Rory's thread! (grin)

ElkNut/Paul
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Joe Schmo » 02 15, 2018 •  [Post 8]

Wind schmind...sometimes elk are dumb, or maybe they just like the way I smell today. I’m shooting with Paul!!
Joe Schmo

Postby Trumkin the Dwarf » 02 15, 2018 •  [Post 9]

Hmm... 35 yards, you say? With my recurve or longbow, I know my brain is saying "no go" on this opportunity. Bummer, too. That's a sweet bull!
Trumkin the Dwarf

First Name: Malachi
Last Name: C

Postby Treestandgoatman » 02 15, 2018 •  [Post 10]

My arrow is flying to the left side of Mr Elknuts red dot! Shot my elk this year with a similar scenario.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Treestandgoatman

Postby Lefty » 02 15, 2018 •  [Post 11]

>>>---WW----> wrote:Question? Is that bull really stupid enough to be standing there like that???:

Yep Ive seen it happen a few times when cows are around. This year my daughter was between another herd and a bull or bulls with the wind going to the bulls. Hm maybe the same bulls each time just 2 weeks apart same area.

Last minutes of our hunt the last Saturday of Sept she was between the cows and bulls she didnt know the bulls were there at the time, but the bulls were further away 80- 200 yards. The bulls smelled her and did move off but not real fast. easy rifle shots.

Wow this year really was incredible
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Tigger » 02 16, 2018 •  [Post 12]

My "spot" would be just like Elknut's. This was really a good one as the first thing that flashed through my mind was just to the left of Elknut's, but then upon thinking a little more I would aim in the same spot. Although in my particular case, I should just aim at the stick as there is no way I could hit that if I tried!
Tigger

Postby ElkNut1 » 02 16, 2018 •  [Post 13]

LOL! Tigger, that was my thought too! All I have to do is aim at that stick! (big grin)

ElkNut/Paul
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby lamrith » 02 16, 2018 •  [Post 14]

I am shooting an inch or so above OldSchool's dot.

While I do not have the experience most of you do, my 1st ever experience with a bull he came in to a whiney cow call from almost directly down wind, then stood within a foot of where myself and the shooter had walked just a minute before. He came in so hot and heavy I do not think he ever used his nose. He came at us a good 80yrds from his hilltop and was on us within a minute of calling. Of course the fact I was standing in his muddy bathtub when I called might have helped fire him up and cover our scent. I mean honestly what guy does not run to his girl forgetting everything else when she coos at him from the bathtub.
'15 Elite E35. 30.5", 67#
100Gr. G5 montecs
Sportsman's Vital Impact 300spine

http://www.pelletpeddler.com
lamrith

First Name: Larry

Postby ishy » 02 16, 2018 •  [Post 15]

No time to worry about which way the wind is blowing! He's there now and you better hurry cause he ain't stayin long. I'm hitting the little bump on Paul's dot at 9 o'clock.
ishy

First Name: Bryan
Last Name: L

Postby Elkhunttoo » 02 16, 2018 •  [Post 16]

ishy wrote:No time to worry about which way the wind is blowing! He's there now and you better hurry cause he ain't stayin long. I'm hitting the little bump on Paul's dot at 9 o'clock.

Same!!! Nice bull! I'm shooting :D
Elkhunttoo

Postby stringunner » 02 17, 2018 •  [Post 17]

I’m shooting “old school’s” shot.

He can’t wind me or the caller cause we have bathed in dead down wind, sprayed some primos scent killer on, we are wearing scent blocker clothing lined with silver thread and each have an ozonics machine running mounted on the back of our packs. 8-)
stringunner

Postby otcWill » 02 18, 2018 •  [Post 18]

I’m giving that limb some space and shooting high 2-3 inches above Paul’s spot. My experience has been that high lung shots lead to shorter blood trails than low heart shots (Mitch’s dot) or low liver (just below Paul’s dot).
otcWill

Postby >>>---WW----> » 02 18, 2018 •  [Post 19]

stringunner wrote:I’m shooting “old school’s” shot.

He can’t wind me or the caller cause we have bathed in dead down wind, sprayed some primos scent killer on, we are wearing scent blocker clothing lined with silver thread and each have an ozonics machine running mounted on the back of our packs. 8-)

You forgot you HECs suit! :lol:
>>>---WW---->

Postby stringunner » 02 18, 2018 •  [Post 20]

>>>---WW----> wrote:
stringunner wrote:I’m shooting “old school’s” shot.

You forgot you HECs suit! :lol:

Oh dang it. I knew I forgot something. Guess I’m busted, this bull will live to see another day. :lol:
stringunner

Postby Roosiebull » 02 18, 2018 •  [Post 21]

ElkNut1 wrote:I'm more right here, I want a bit margin for error, I've taken a few with this placement!

ElkNut/Paul

exactly where I would hold my pin, and an arrow is on it's way 8-)
Roosiebull

Postby Roosiebull » 02 18, 2018 •  [Post 22]

if i'm positive on yardage, that is where I generally hold my pin anyhow, only time I tuck in more is if the bull could be further than I think, don't want to shoot low with that aim point.

I aimed there on my bull this past season, hit 3" low of that dot at point blank range, and most of you know how that story went....
Roosiebull

Postby Elkhunttoo » 02 18, 2018 •  [Post 23]

I feel that 3 inches higher then Pauls dot would be way better then 3 inches low.
Elkhunttoo

Postby Roosiebull » 02 18, 2018 •  [Post 24]

Elkhunttoo wrote:I feel that 3 inches higher then Pauls dot would be way better then 3 inches low.

I agree, my sis in law shot a bull 3" high of that dot, it looked high, but the bull didn't go more than 2 steps, lungs are pretty high right there.
Roosiebull

Postby ElkNut1 » 02 18, 2018 •  [Post 25]

Yes, a bit higher, lower, left or right will kill that bull that's why I would shoot him at the arrow, it gives me a bit of margin for error! Believe me it can come in handy. I do not want to be so marginal that I have to hit a .50 piece at 35 yards especially under pressure!

ElkNut/Paul
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Roosiebull » 02 18, 2018 •  [Post 26]

>>>---WW----> wrote:Question? Is that bull really stupid enough to be standing there like that??? If RJ's blue arrows for wind direction are correct. the cows have already caught the callers scent when they came through and they are hauling tail by now. That bull should be doing the same thing for two reasons. (1) He saw the cows bolt and should be instinctively doing the same thing. (2) He is looking at where the call came from and I'll bet he is within a split second of spelling the caller himself.

I have no problem with where the other two posters have placed their little red dots. But in this situation, that bull just isn't going to be standing (still) there like that. He'll most likely be moving through that clearing like a striped a$$ ape.

Just thought I'd put a little more angle to the dangle :twisted: :roll: :lol:

he came from where the cows are, circling to get the wind, cows are 300yds away, both hunters have a good scent regimen, and the wind is VERY light. the bull came over, got a tiny bit of wind and turned, and is now studying his surroundings for danger..... see, there is a perfectly reasonable explanation :lol:
Roosiebull