Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

FNG from WA

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

FNG from WA

Postby Harald » 02 18, 2018 •  [Post 1]

Allow me to say Hi to the forum with a proper introduction. I’m not very imaginative, so my forum name is also my real name.

I started hunting late in life with a Whitetail deer hunt with my Dad in Georgia when I came back home to visit while attending college in Florida in the mid 80’s. There I learned why they’re called Whitetails when seeing them flee from me with their tail up in the air. No deer were harmed on this first excursion. I was hunting with a SKS rifle in 7.63x39 with open sights.

After college I got a job in the Seattle area and have been here since. Here’s where I had my first success by harvesting a small 3x4 Muley buck in Eastern WA. Many more Muley’s and Whitetails have followed, along with a really nice color phase black bear and countless rabbits, quail, chukar, pheasant and grouse.
I regularly have Blacktail bucks in my yard here in Western WA, but the thick growth around here pretty much requires hunting clearcuts or sitting in a tree stand. I much prefer still hunting the more sparse woods and mountains of eastern WA.

You may notice that there’s no elk on my kill resume. I’ve seen some really nice bulls during deer seasons in WA, but have only half heartedly hunted elk a couple times until making 2 week long trips to Montana this past season. The biggest problem has been limited vacation time and other demands on my time that have really only allowed a week off for deer season with perhaps a couple weekends to bird hunt. Elk hunting in WA is also tough because unless you get drawn for a quality bull permit, you are limited to spike only bulls. Imagine seeing a big bull and having to pass!

I will be retiring next year and am looking forward to getting more serious about elk hunting in my area. Odds of success increase greatly if you have time to scout new areas and have more time to spend in the woods. I’ve never been on a guided hunt (if you don’t count my Bison “harvest” I did last year that was just a substitute for buying a grass fed cow to fill my freezer) and am not too keen on this kind of hunting. I’d rather strap on my pack and head out into the woods to hunt all day until dark. Unless one of my partners kills something, in which case it’s time to go and congratulate and help drag/pack out the trophy.

I had an FFL back in the late 80’s and early 90’s so I could buy guns cheap for myself and friends. I’ve been using a Browning A Bolt Stainless Stalker rifle in 30-06, topped with a Leupold scope for most big game hunting since about 1990. I’ve added a Knight disc extreme smoke pole to the mix a few years ago. Per WA rules, it has a exposed breech and open sights (peep sights in my case to accommodate old eyes). Posts are boring without pictures, so here's my first muzzleloader kill a couple years ago:

2016Buck.jpg
2016Buck.jpg (351.02 KiB) Viewed 2604 times

That’s about it for now. I’m a busy guy and don’t frequent the forums I participate in on a daily basis and don’t always post when I do, but I’ll be checking in periodically. Look forward to being part of what appears to be a great community.
Harald

Re: FNG from WA

Postby Old school » 02 18, 2018 •  [Post 2]

Welcome to the forum Harald. I’ve got several smoke poles with a couple of them being Knights. Knight was my first muzzleloader so I am partial to them although my boys use them now and I’m using a CVA Accura.

-Mitch
Old school

Postby Indian Summer » 02 18, 2018 •  [Post 3]

Welcome aboard! Where in western Washington? I could point you to a few good spots down near Rosburg, Naselle, and Toledo. But I don’t know how anyone could make a life of hunting the west side because I despise rain! If you weren’t happy with the areas you hunted in Montana maybe you’d be interested in one of my DIY elk hunt plans over there. My business is as the banner above is Headin West Hunt Consulting. There are reviews iver on Bowsite. If you are about to retire I’m sure you’d have the time to put a plan to good use.

Hope to see more hunt tales from you in the future Harald.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Lefty » 02 18, 2018 •  [Post 4]

Welcome aboard!!!
Please follow up on the hunt tales!!

Indian Summer wrote: But I don’t know how anyone could make a life of hunting the west side because I despise rain!.

The rain doesn't start until the 1st week in November,.. :lol: or you head for higher elevation where its snowing, or the east side :shock: Too depressing for me.
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Joe Schmo » 02 18, 2018 •  [Post 5]

Welcome sir!! I just bought a Knight Wolverine, hoping to draw a tag to use it this year...
Joe Schmo

Postby Swede » 02 18, 2018 •  [Post 6]

It is great to have you at the W.T. campfire. You have a nice buck there. It brings back memories of my dad. He would have loved it. His idea of the finest buck was a nice fat three point.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 02 18, 2018 •  [Post 7]

Trophy intro mister. Welcome to the WT campfire.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Tigger » 02 18, 2018 •  [Post 8]

Welcome to our humble piece of the internet. Nice intro and don't be too shy. One of the lesser known perks of Wapiti Talk membership and avid participation is the use of 2 things....

1. The Wapiti Talk corporate jet. It is missing right now, but soon it will show up. You have to book it a fair ways in advance, but fuel and jelly donuts are paid for your flights. All you have to do is find the scheduling book.

2. Use of Big Red. Big Red is a code word for RJ's classic muscle car. I think it is a Datsun. He especially appreciates it if everyone who uses it puts his or her little touch on it with an accessory of their choice. I added the woodgrain panel siding. Lefty I think put the bull horns on it. Indian Summer the trailer hitch and Swede just might have had something to do with the luggage rack. As always, fuel and sunflower seeds are complimentary (just throw the shells on the floor as RJ loves vacuuming---yeah, odd, I know). :lol:
Tigger

Postby Harald » 02 19, 2018 •  [Post 9]

Thanks for the welcomes.
I appreciate the sense of humor. Let me know if you find the corporate jet - I'm a licensed aircraft mechanic and can take care of the maintenance on it. :lol:
Harald

Postby Elkduds » 02 20, 2018 •  [Post 10]

Welcome to the campfire, Harald. Good of you to join us. Post up when the spirit moves you.
Elkduds

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Scott