Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

The New Gadget

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

The New Gadget

Postby Swede » 02 20, 2018 •  [Post 1]

Does having a new gadget such as a new bow or gun improve your attitude or increase you enthusiasm for the hunt? Will the new toy get you out earlier, keep you out longer or lengthen the number of days you hunt?
I find that hunting success has not significantly improved over the years with all the advancements have come to hunting. In fact it seems that when we look at the big picture with draw units, and over crowding in open units, it has gone the other way. Still a new range finder or pack just seems to help, and they can make the hunt a little more special.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: The New Gadget

Postby Lefty » 02 20, 2018 •  [Post 2]

I think retirement will do all of those things for me!!
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Elkhunttoo » 02 20, 2018 •  [Post 3]

I do think it can improve you attitude. Lots of them don't improve performance but some sure can
Elkhunttoo

Postby Indian Summer » 02 20, 2018 •  [Post 4]

Well.... if I find out I drew my Wyoming license in 2 days I will immediately buy the Luxe Gear Megahorn Teepee with a stove jack and a Camp Chef woodstove. The two main ingredients for a spike camp with heat. I guess it goes without saying that the setup will get me to my spot earlier with less effort and enable me to stay later. In the area I plan to use it that has my enthusiasm and confidence at an all time high! :D
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby ElkNut1 » 02 22, 2018 •  [Post 5]

swede, great question! For myself, when picking up a new bow it does seem to rejuvenate the juices! So I have to say yes to the new gadget question!

ElkNut/Paul
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Roosiebull » 02 22, 2018 •  [Post 6]

I don't know much about the concept, but I like new toys :D
Roosiebull

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 02 22, 2018 •  [Post 7]

Yep, many of us have been going through this phenomenon for years ;). Between seasons/off season, experimenting/playing around/familiarizing with those newly acquired gadgets and other hunting/camping goodies are a way to keep the juices flowing during the summer. I have a new Lite Outdoors ultra lightweight wood stove arriving tomorrow and I'll have great sport with that thing (learning how to assemble/disassemble, initial burn off, try it out in the Luxe tipi tent) for months to come. I'm also a bit more energized to do my scouting trips when I have some new gear to test out 8-). It's all part of the pre-season waltz on the glide path to that most wonderful time of the year..... elk season!
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Swede » 02 22, 2018 •  [Post 8]

I am thinking about getting one of the frilly, dilly, girlie jackets from Sitka or Kuiu that cost over $300. You clowns have been raving about them for years and I am starting to think along those same lines. That would get me out early, and cause me to stay longer just to justify the expense. I have not done that yet, as I have plenty of the older common fabric things, and there is this anniversary situation to consider. A new jacket that keeps me out more could cause a mental crisis and moral dilemma. It could cause other problems too.
The more I think about it the more it is apparent that the new fangled stuff is for you Millennials, or X gens.
Swede

Postby Joe Schmo » 02 25, 2018 •  [Post 9]

I think new gadgets and Sitka patterns and a $1100 hunting outfit makes people feel like they’re actually getting better at hunting when all they’re getting better at is spending money. Friggin joke. I spend my money on tags... I find it’s actually productive towards... what do they call it again?? Oh yeah, hunting.
Joe Schmo

Postby Joe Schmo » 02 25, 2018 •  [Post 10]

Case in point, I know more than a few guys who think they hold the keys to the kingdom of hunting because they have a gohunt subscription. A guy can get the exact same data with 4 clicks of a mouse on a given state agency website. All this new stuff has got people better equipped than ever...and as lazy and ignorant as ever.
Joe Schmo

Postby Swede » 02 25, 2018 •  [Post 11]

Joe, you have true words of wisdom. Elk hunting prowess will never be found in a store. Learn wherever and whenever you can. There are great resources available, like this forum. Learn, then put your boots on, head out and learn some more.
Swede

Postby Roosiebull » 02 26, 2018 •  [Post 12]

may be true to an extent, but fishing and hunting are my only recreation, so that is what I like spending extra money on. it doesn't make me a worse hunter, none of it makes me lazy, I like to use new stuff, and I don't feel one bit guilty :lol:

good rain gear makes me less lazy, there isn't much weather that I will take a day off because, or even a half day. everything is a tool, and certain luxuries I don't mind paying for. i'm not going to not buy a tag because I bought a pair of pants, I will not quit following clues because my gps says it's steep, etc.

some things may not be one's cup of tea, but it doesn't make it a dumb purchase, and i'm sure not going to tell someone how they should or shouldn't spend their hard earned dough. we all use more creature comforts than we "need"

my bow, and most others' bows are about as gadget like as anything we could buy for the woods. we don't need all of the high tech materials, cams, sights, strings, etc.... we get them because it makes it easier, and in most situations more enjoyable. limiting yourself to 15 yds with trad gear could get a little frustrating, and would certainly be way more difficult.
Roosiebull

Postby Joe Schmo » 02 26, 2018 •  [Post 13]

Yessir. Not everyone who buys the latest and greatest is dumb or lazy...a lot of the kick ass guys are doing it and it makes em more kick asser!! But you know dang well theres a buncha guys that buy it just to buy it. Rosie...I’m not sure what it would take for me to go back to hunting the rainforest...I’d get flashbacks...oh hell...my eye is starting to twitch.
Joe Schmo

Postby Tigger » 02 26, 2018 •  [Post 14]

I shot a bull at the end of a long day that was the last day of the hunt. I was exhausted. Did having the right gear keep my on that hunt to the very end? It is hard to say, I would have never shot that bull if it wasn't for those pants, but in all honesty, having great gear makes it more comfortable to be out there. Put whatever value you want on being comfortable.

Swede, I am so happy you are gonna take the plunge. I think you should put up a separate topic getting opinions on what you should buy.....as long as in the end it is a Sitka Jetstream jacket or Sitka Timberline pants!
Tigger

Postby Swede » 02 26, 2018 •  [Post 15]

Don't get me wrong. I was not saying new equipment can't keep you out longer, or make the hunt a little easier or even more pleasant. I buy things for those purposes too. I suspect some of you characters could go hunting with your bow and arrows being naked and barefoot, and still get elk. Others could take everything in the Cabelas hunting department and return home skunked.
I am looking for something better to keep me warmer on cold days in my tree stand. I don't want it to be too bulky so I can shoot when the time comes. I have always preferred to be a little cold to reduce bulk. There is no use sitting in a tree if you cannot accomplish your purpose when the elk arrives. That is why I had a couple of the threads on the tree stand forum including the one about cooking or heating soup or stew.
Swede

Postby Tigger » 02 26, 2018 •  [Post 16]

Then you want a Sitka Kelvin jacket or vest. I have both. Both are incredibly light for as warm as they keep you. As you know, I tree stand hunt in MN and it can be cold. They kept me comfy.
Tigger

Postby saddlesore » 02 26, 2018 •  [Post 17]

Blue Jeans,Costco long johns, on sale hunting coat bought at Walmart, Bass Pro rain suit, toe warmers, Rocky boots,55 year old rifle in a boring 30-06, 35 year old binoculars, will kill elk.I did get that $6 fancy LED Lantern I posted about a few months ago for Christmas
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Swede » 02 26, 2018 •  [Post 18]

Tigger, why don't you send me your coat or jacket for September, and I will return it for your November hunt? Your jacket will get more use and will be a better value. :D
Swede

Postby Swede » 02 26, 2018 •  [Post 19]

Dang, Saddlesore. You are getting rather modern with that new stuff. Saddlesore with an led flashlight? What is the world coming to? :D
Swede

Postby wawhitey » 02 26, 2018 •  [Post 20]

You know, new gadgets really can help. A few things ive bought in the last few years that have allowed me to pack in deeper, and stay longer are : a good water filter, pack, stove, lightweight sleeping bag and tent. Those few things enable me to hunt a bit deeper than before. Now thats not a guarantee of success, but it does enhance my experience, and tip the odds in my favor a bit. Still working on killing a big buck ive been watching on tcam for a few years. Maybe this sept ill finally be able to post some pics of him here, after i let the air out of his lungs. But whether or not i manage to catch him slipping, i know i couldnt get near him without the right gear to enable me to get into his home and set up camp.
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 02 26, 2018 •  [Post 21]

wawhitey wrote:You know, new gadgets really can help. A few things ive bought in the last few years that have allowed me to pack in deeper, and stay longer are : a good water filter, pack, stove, lightweight sleeping bag and tent. Those few things enable me to hunt a bit deeper than before. Now thats not a guarantee of success, but it does enhance my experience, and tip the odds in my favor a bit. Still working on killing a big buck ive been watching on tcam for a few years. Maybe this sept ill finally be able to post some pics of him here, after i let the air out of his lungs. But whether or not i manage to catch him slipping, i know i couldnt get near him without the right gear to enable me to get into his home and set up camp.

Where's the thumbs up emoticon? Who the heck runs this joint anyway where a guy can't use a thumbs up :?.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Roosiebull » 02 27, 2018 •  [Post 22]

Swede wrote:Don't get me wrong. I was not saying new equipment can't keep you out longer, or make the hunt a little easier or even more pleasant. I buy things for those purposes too. I suspect some of you characters could go hunting with your bow and arrows being naked and barefoot, and still get elk. Others could take everything in the Cabelas hunting department and return home skunked.
I am looking for something better to keep me warmer on cold days in my tree stand. I don't want it to be too bulky so I can shoot when the time comes. I have always preferred to be a little cold to reduce bulk. There is no use sitting in a tree if you cannot accomplish your purpose when the elk arrives. That is why I had a couple of the threads on the tree stand forum including the one about cooking or heating soup or stew.

just speaking on clothing alone, like I have mentioned before, I spend enough days in the woods annually to personally justify any clothing system without hesitation. I do like the new tech clothes (kuiu, first lite, sitka, and pnuma in the near future)

I hunted lots of years in Walmart cotton camo, and it didn't hinder me in any way.... when I was younger I had no rain gear at all, but still hunted in all weather. the "tech" clothing just takes the mental aspect of the elements almost out of the equation. lightweight clothes that are actually warm, pants that don't restrict movement, rain gear that keeps you dry glassing for blacktail in late Oct during heavy rain. hunting can effectively be done with lesser materials, nobody will argue that, but the new stuff is leaps and bounds superior to the fabrics of yesteryear.

when I started my dive career, we were all wearing wetsuits, thick and custom made, but still wetsuits. the life span of a wetsuit goes like this... get a new suit in Oct-Nov, start the bad weather season off with a warm new suit.... this is the season of southerlies, and southerlies warm the ocean. we were comfortable for 1.5-2 months depending on water temp (feel every degree difference in a wetsuit) after that, the suit compresses a bit, and stretches a bit, and you are chilled for the next 4 months, cold on the cold days.

now we are coming into the warm season...spring is here!.... and so is the north wind, which cools the ocean. the weather gets nicer, but the water gets colder, and now you cringe every time you jump in, you are going to freeze, and there is nothing you can do. your mind says you need to make it through the summer before ordering a new one, so you just accept a cold and miserable life. first dive is cold, and the rest are progressively worse as your core temp drops, and you cannot keep up with caloric intake. suits are expensive, and we try to get a full year out of them. the last couple months, you have a stretched out suit, that is compressed, and seams are failing..... life sucks!

this was just Oregon, Alaska was worse, it was a cold life up there, no escape.

a few years ago, one of the guys switched to a drysuit, he was now the butt of many jokes..... but the joke was on us, it didn't take long, and we have all been diving drysuits the past several years. we didn't need them, and for a long time didn't want them based on our stubborn misconceptions. now none of the weather matters as long as your suit doesn't leak, and leaks are easy to find and repair.... cold? put more clothes on under your suit :D
Roosiebull

Postby BrowTines » 03 03, 2018 •  [Post 23]

For me one of the most important tech I have is gortex boots. Back in the day when I used regular boots we poured the cream or wax or boot grease to those puppies. However, in wet weather, those might last a couple of hours before you were wet to the bone. Once I had cold feet the hunt was basically over - I am suseptible to the cold and nothing makes me colder than wet feet. When I discoved gortex boots the game changed. I don't jump across the streams I wade through those and in wet weather I can last all day. Gortex boots were game changers for me.
BrowTines

Postby stringunner » 03 03, 2018 •  [Post 24]

My new bow last year was fun all year long. I enjoyed all the aspects of shooting it, tuning it, getting the new gear for it. I try and pick up one new item a year of value, so as to replace old or worn out stuff. Looking forward to using my new Stone Glacier pack this year along with a Kifaru cargo panel I picked up for it to try to efficiently haul stands and such.

Next year I will likely start to look at updating trail cams as most of mine 12, are now approaching 8-10 years old.
stringunner