Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

I Need Some Advice

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

I Need Some Advice

Postby Swede » 02 22, 2018 •  [Post 1]

This September right in the middle of the elk season is my 50th wedding anniversary. Normally I stay out all season and call home, but this situation presents a predicament for me. Now the 50th anniversary is big. It is really big to me , but even bigger to you know who. So should I just plan to shorten the hunt by two weeks, or just come in for a few days only, or stay out and hunt and invite Mrs. Swede to join me in camp? She knew she was marring a hunter before we started down this trail, but I was a rifle hunter back then. I know before hand that Mrs. Swede is not going to come and hang out in camp alone while I hunt. She knows that I know that, so she will see it as just a ploy to try to placate her until after the season. That last option will be more expensive in the long run, but would have its advantages.
Have I missed something? What would you advise?
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: I Need Some Advice

Postby Tigger » 02 22, 2018 •  [Post 2]

This is out of the box and will cost you some dough, but how about a special vacation somewhere to celebrate your 50th? An Alaskan cruise in August or something. Maybe a European river cruise. Not a weekend at the local Super 8, but something special. then you could get by with a day trip home in the middle of your hunt. 2 days at home in combination with the special vacation should be a wonderful way to celebrate that special accomplishment. Or you could buy her a new vacuum. That is always a classy move.
Tigger

Postby Roosiebull » 02 22, 2018 •  [Post 3]

I would plan 3 or 4 days off, 2 for travel, one or 2 to hang out with your wife. It's very much worth it imo
Roosiebull

Postby Old school » 02 22, 2018 •  [Post 4]

Swede - If it was me, I'd spend that time with my wife and ask her what she wanted to do for a week. I'm just thinking that if my wife is willing to put up with me for 50 years, I can give up a week of elk hunting.

"Husbands love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it..." Eph. 5:25

Christ defined love for us - it's giving of ourselves as He gave of Himself. When we are willing to give of ourselves as Christ commanded, we've done right and He blesses that. Who knows, you may just find your wife saying - "no, why don't we do something after hunting season, that would be fine by me." - then you can decide what to do from there :-)

I know I'm certainly not telling you anything that you don't already know and believe...

--Mitch
Old school

Postby saddlesore » 02 22, 2018 •  [Post 5]

Anything you do will seem like it is some thing to placate her,except if you spend the time with her and celebrate.If mama ain't happy, no one is happy.

Suck it up ,hunt with a rifle this year.When she ask you how come you are rifle hunting instead of archery tell her you wanted to be with her instead for your anniversary. There shouldn't even be a question in our mind. If you really want to torque her off,tell her you asked for advice on here.

We just celebrated our 42nd this month. I purposely got married in non-hunting seasons .It would have been more, but my 1st marriage didn't take even after ten years of trying.

The only event that happens now in hunting season is my son's birthday on Oct 23. He's in his 50's, but even now I call him.If I don't have cell service,I ride to where I do,of go back to the trail head and drive to where I do.
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Elkduds » 02 22, 2018 •  [Post 6]

50 years: a considerable investment for you both. Congratulations! I suggest making a plan w her that recognizes your mutual investment. If your celebration happens during hunting season, enjoy it just the same.
Elkduds

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Scott

Postby elkstalker » 02 22, 2018 •  [Post 7]

If it was me, I would take the time off and take the initiative! I know it means a lot to my wife if I take the initiative and choose her over hunting or fishing. Don't get me wrong, she loves the fruits of my labor afield, but there are times when showing her that she means the most to me makes all the difference. We have lots of opportunities for hunting, but to celebrate 50 years is once in a lifetime, and many don't make it that far. Congratulations to you and your bride!
elkstalker

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 02 22, 2018 •  [Post 8]

Well sir, congrats on your pending 50th!! I would certainly try to plan a nice mini vacation with the Mrs. for this milestone (I'm sure you can get in some wapiti hunting before and/or after your anniversary). After all, she has supported your elk hunting addiction and put up with you for all these years ;).
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby >>>---WW----> » 02 22, 2018 •  [Post 9]

I'm surprised you even ask this question. Of course you should take time off to celebrate. Besides, at your age you will need a mid-season break anyhow. LOL! 50 years is a milestone that you will see only once. Congratulations to the both of you.

I'm sure this was not a serious question. You must be running short on ideas for post on here.
>>>---WW---->

Postby Swede » 02 22, 2018 •  [Post 10]

Old school wrote:"Husbands love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it..." Eph. 5:25

Mitch, that is some pretty heady stuff considering, as you say, He gave His life to pay the penalty for my sins. And not only mine, but anyone that will confess their sins to Him and receive Him as Lord. Acts 4:11-12

I am pleased to share this life and especially this coming anniversary with my wife. She is a blessing from the Lord. I am looking forward to it.

>>>---WW----> wrote:I'm sure this was not a serious question. You must be running short on ideas for post on here.

Bill, you are right. I just want to warm things up on this cold February day.
Swede

Postby Navesgane » 02 22, 2018 •  [Post 11]

Congrats! If you've made it this long making good decisions I'm sure you'll make the right ones again.
Instagram @jeff.reilly1
Navesgane

First Name: Jeff

Postby Elkhunttoo » 02 22, 2018 •  [Post 12]

I was going to say to go home and spend it with your wife!

But, since you have plenty of advice that way I will go with the opposite ;)

Heck no you shouldn't leave that tree stand for nothing!!! You stay perched on that stand every second of every day in the season, she knew what she was getting into when she said I do!!!! 8-)

In all seriousness congrats!! That is a great accomplishment that very few reach and it is getting less and less all the time, well done sir!
Elkhunttoo

Postby Swede » 02 22, 2018 •  [Post 13]

You characters are making me feel embarrassed. That is not the direction I planned at all, but thanks for the thoughts.
My wife is the one that should be asking for advise. She could write, "I married this character that goes out hunting and stays for well over a month. He sits for weeks in this stupid tree stand and hardly moves. He is worse about that than he is at sitting in the recliner at home. When he gets home, within a week is talking about going again. Is there a disease that causes this abnormality? Is there a pill that can cure it?
Swede

Postby Roosiebull » 02 22, 2018 •  [Post 14]

I would imagine even if she said she wants you to stay and hunt, hunting would be no fun. Recreation sucks when you sacrifice family obligations to do it.

It means a lot to everyone involved when we are home for important times, and this is a HUGE one. 50yrs is incredible, congrats to both of you, one of my biggest goals in life is celebrating my 50th anniversary with my wife, first 9 have sure been easy :D

Pretty dang cool sir!
Roosiebull

Postby Fridaythe13th » 02 25, 2018 •  [Post 15]

Buy your wife a Harley take her to Sturgis and renew your vows in August and change your anniversary date. GO ELK HUNTING. Lol all meant to be funny. Take a year off from hunting and same some elk for me.
Fridaythe13th

First Name: Eric
Last Name: S

Postby Lefty » 02 25, 2018 •  [Post 16]

Ok Mitch if were going to use scripture. He is one of the 14th commandment.
Genesis 27:3 (KJV)
Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

All kidding aside. My in-laws rented the same room in Yellowstone Lodge that they used for their honeymoon. They have probably rented that room 25 or more other times during their anniversary week
.We (surprised them) rented the same place they had a reception on their wedding day , with all the grand kids . My sister-in-law put together a neat slideshow just picture of those two, a banner and large sized wedding pictures.
I guess it was tradition of the area and time my mother in law had saved (frozen) the top piece of their wedding cake to eat on their first anniversary, and she still had it, it was unwrapped and unboxed, Looked at the piece of cake, Its still back in the freezer. that piece of cake will be 65 years old September 11th( yep 9/11)

While my wife and I do celebrate birthdays and anniversaries I take such good care of her its hard to top the daily things anyway :D So for us the celebrations are "small" generally we rent a movie, snack on good ice-cream.We went trapping on our honeymoon in California and visited her aunt. Many days we sat in the duck blind on our anniversary.
And those were what my wife wanted to do with me,..
While were not that close to 50,.. Do what your wife wants to do,.. a trip to Mexico or Hawaii in February :lol:
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Lefty » 02 25, 2018 •  [Post 17]

And Congratulations
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Deanmac » 02 26, 2018 •  [Post 18]

Congrats to both of you,

IMHO, I would take a few days off and be with the wife.
Deanmac

Postby Cbb » 02 27, 2018 •  [Post 19]

Well, I will have to live to 88 years old to get to 50 years with my wife. She knew what she was getting into when we got married. If i took some time off she would be thrilled. I amazed her, my mom and my best friend when I agreed to get married in October and take a week long honeymoon and interrupt archery season.

To me 50 years is worth a trip home to spend a few days with the wife. The elk will be there. Congrats on the anniversary and on a long hunting career. You have been blessed.
Cbb

Postby Joe Schmo » 03 02, 2018 •  [Post 20]

Wow, CONGRATULATIONS!!
You got married in the middle of September??!!

And you know that this is a decision that should be made by you and your wife and if you’ve been married for 50 years you already know the answer in your heart.
Joe Schmo

Postby pointysticks » 03 02, 2018 •  [Post 21]

50 years!!?

i would drop the hunt. in 50 years, how many hunts did you miss for your anniversary?

i think one year of putting your wife above all will be a great investment in all things LOVE. that is all a woman really wants, to feel special.

i just crossed 10 years..at 50, thankfully i will be too old to hunt. hahahah...
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby Swede » 03 02, 2018 •  [Post 22]

Look guys, some of you would just get me in real trouble. If I dropped the whole hunt, or even a major part, she would think I was up to something. She would suspect I ordered a new pickup or purchased a guided elk hunt for October. It won't work. I know her too well.
Swede

Postby pointysticks » 03 02, 2018 •  [Post 23]

Swede wrote:Look guys, some of you would just get me in real trouble. If I dropped the whole hunt, or even a major part, she would think I was up to something. She would suspect I ordered a new pickup or purchased a guided elk hunt for October. It won't work. I know her too well.

okay..go big. write her a country love song. sing it to her from anywhere on the mountain you get cell service.

win win!!
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby BrowTines » 03 03, 2018 •  [Post 24]

...if mama ain't happy ..ain't nobody happy. ;)
BrowTines