Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Half Way

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Half Way

Postby Swede » 02 25, 2018 •  [Post 1]

We have just passed the half way mark on my calendar going to the next archery open season. I am not even close to being ready. I need to get back into shooting practice and get equipment ready. Maybe I need to focus a little more on physical side of things too. What do you need to do to get ready?
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: Half Way

Postby saddlesore » 02 25, 2018 •  [Post 2]

Mostly get the applications filled out March 1st. I haven't ever been too much on getting in shape physically.Too much work here on my place
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Roosiebull » 02 25, 2018 •  [Post 3]

same old stuff for me.... i'm ready always :D

still shooting my bow frequently, but the rifle has been getting more attention the past couple weeks with spring bear just around the corner, it's shooting as good as ever ;) shot a 3 shot group just shy of 1.5" @ 361yds the other night as a "first group" that's pretty good for me off the bipod.

i'm in shape, ready to go, all I need to do is get my arrow system tuned, but that will be early summer. i'm keeping my leftover arrows from last year dialed in for sage rat hunting, and will be having some 600ish grainers made up soon for elk.

just keep up on shooting, stay in the woods, and lots of scouting this summer. I think I kind of screwed myself last year not scouting, I think it's good to get used to being close to elk before the season, get comfortable with elk close so the adrenaline stays in check with elk in front of you.

I have no idea if it played a role last year, but I am going to cover my bases and be as prepared as I can this year, and if I let an arrow go, make sure it ends in a very short blood trail, or watch it tip over.
Roosiebull

Postby Navesgane » 02 25, 2018 •  [Post 4]

I need to focus on paying down my credit card and making sure there's enough space left on it in case I get "lucky"(?) on one of my several long-shot non-resident tag applications.
Instagram @jeff.reilly1
Navesgane

First Name: Jeff

Postby Elkhunttoo » 02 25, 2018 •  [Post 5]

It's a great time of year coming up, if I can't chase elk, I might as well be finding there horns :D . It's almost just as bad of an addiction as the fall is for me. I love getting those horns in my hands. Last year I didn't hardly get to go look for a shed but this year I should get plenty of hiking in. So, I guess I'm gonna get in shape
Elkhunttoo

Postby Roosiebull » 02 25, 2018 •  [Post 6]

Elkhunttoo wrote:It's a great time of year coming up, if I can't chase elk, I might as well be finding there horns :D . It's almost just as bad of an addiction as the fall is for me. I love getting those horns in my hands. Last year I didn't hardly get to go look for a shed but this year I should get plenty of hiking in. So, I guess I'm gonna get in shape

it may be partly local habitat, I love shed hunting, but I sure suck at it! :lol:

I did plenty of it the past couple years, and success is far from consistent.
Roosiebull