Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Possibly looking for hunting partner for Colorado elk hunt

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Possibly looking for hunting partner for Colorado elk hunt

Postby LineRex2015 » 02 27, 2018 •  [Post 1]

Hey guys,
My buddy and I were planning a diy OTC elk bow hunt in Colorado around the first week of the season, however he just informed me today that he won’t be able to make it due to family plans. I live in Southwest Missouri and have hunted whitetail my whole life but never elk. I don’t have that much backpacking experience but am eager to learn anything about it. I’m not really a horn hunter, would be happy with even a cow if given the opportunity.

I’m 32 years old and in decent shape and getting in better shape as the weeks go by. Im a lineman at the power COOP, so I’m not afraid of hard work and am a firm believer that you are your brother’s keeper.

I am curious if anybody knows of anyone who would be a good hunting buddy or even a hunting party that would be willing to take a new rookie hunter in to see how it’s done?? I’ll have my own gear and food as well. Honestly I just really don’t feel comfortable tackling my first elk hunt alone in the wilderness being so far from home. Also, any advice will always be appreciated. Thanks in advance!!
LineRex2015

Re: Possibly looking for hunting partner for Colorado elk hu

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 02 27, 2018 •  [Post 2]

Welcome to the forum mister, glad to have you on board. Pull up a log by the fire, a beverage of choice, and jump into the conversations. Its a long way till Elktember, I betcha you come up with a plan to hunt. Keep your options open about location also, there are other states with good elk numbers and pretty much guaranteed tags. Dig around in the Elk Harmony.com thread and perhaps there's someone there interested in linking up for a hunt this fall in XXXX state. Good luck with your preparation/planning this year and with your pending hunt. RJ
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Swede » 02 27, 2018 •  [Post 3]

I guess I missed your first post, but welcome, and best wishes on your finding a hunting partner. I am curious why you are set on Colorado? Would you do better to find a partner, from any State with OTC elk tags?
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Elkhntr08 » 02 28, 2018 •  [Post 4]

Welcome. I happen to agree with Swede, keep your options open for any state and possibly any weapon. I got in touch with RussellM on here. Chatted a couple times and hoping to meet next month and maybe shoot a little 3D. May be joining me for second rifle in Colorado. Elk hunting is tough enough without putting limits on your first hunt. Good luck.
Elkhntr08

Postby saddlesore » 02 28, 2018 •  [Post 5]

I am not an archer or back packer,and the only advice I can give is before steeping a foot into elk country have a way figured out as to how you will get your meat back to your truck. Many think they can carry it out on back until they lift the 1st quarter up and realize it is more than they can do the have to do it 3-4 more times.Many can do it, but a lot get a big surprise.
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Tigger » 02 28, 2018 •  [Post 6]

I agree with Saddlesore. I have done it and each time I do, it is still a surprise how heavy it is! One additional factor to consider is the timeline in which you have to have the meat out and cooled. That is entirely weather dependent. Hot weather will change your hunt!

Get involved in the forum and ask questions! There is so much to learn about elk hunting that you could do nothing but elk hunt the rest of your life and never know half what there is to know.
Tigger

Postby CurlyTail » 02 28, 2018 •  [Post 7]

If you can find an experienced group and join them that is always your best option. A good mentor will shorten the learning curve considerably.

However, there are some advantages to going solo as well. A determined solo hunter is a force to be reckoned with. Free to go where you want, when you want, nobody to take care of but yourself.

If you need inspiration, check out this guy https://youtu.be/Wx3dVTTEg78 Now thats getting it done solo.

If you do go solo , I would consider renting llamas or horses, or having a packer set up in advance. Did I mention that there is nothing inexpensive about out of state elk hunting?
CurlyTail

First Name: Jim
Last Name: B.

Postby Navesgane » 02 28, 2018 •  [Post 8]

Welcome aboard Linerex! Just looked at my calendar and other than dealing with a full moon on the opening weekend, I don't have much else going on (besides trying to kill an elk). Shoot me a PM with your email info. I'm in SW Colorado if it's an option for you.
Instagram @jeff.reilly1
Navesgane

First Name: Jeff