Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Colorado Points

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Colorado Points

Postby Bolt » 02 28, 2018 •  [Post 1]

I heard a rumor that you will be able to buy the point only this year and not carry the entire cost of the tag and receive refund, is this true? I haven't had time to look through the G&F website yet, so thanks for your replies.
Bolt

Re: Colorado Points

Postby otcWill » 02 28, 2018 •  [Post 2]

Yes, its true. I'm afraid CO will be flooded with apps this year. If you are close to drawing something good you might want to dump the points now before a 2 pt unit jumps to 5.
otcWill

Postby saddlesore » 02 28, 2018 •  [Post 3]

If you put in for a point alone,you will be charged $40 after the draw on your credit card, if you do not hold an active 2017 annual license or did not have a 2017 big game license.See page 2 of the Big Game brochure
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Bolt » 02 28, 2018 •  [Post 4]

I had some time today to look around a bit on the Colorado G&F website, it looks like there have been some changes there too. I had to verify all of my information before I could log in as myself, then I ran out of time. After this year I will have 4 points so I believe I should be ok on the points creep. I prefer hunting WY and i will hold out for a great unit in CO when I have more points. Good luck to everyone applying.
Bolt

Postby Old school » 02 28, 2018 •  [Post 5]

Bolt - Are you a Colorado resident?

If not, good luck catching a great unit because of point creep. When you state you have 4 points but will "hold out for a great unit in CO when I have more points" - that more than likely aint gonna happen.

For instance, it takes 20 points to draw unit 61 a "great" Colorado unit. 16 years from now, you will have 20 points and thanks to "point creep" it will probably take 32 points (at least) to draw 61. Mathematics say you will never catch it unless you live to be 100.

If you are a Colorado resident, you have a chance at catching one of the great units - but who knows how long that will take. The top tier units creep almost a full point every year.

Just something to think about...

--Mitch
Old school

Postby Bolt » 03 01, 2018 •  [Post 6]

Old school wrote:Bolt - Are you a Colorado resident?

If not, good luck catching a great unit because of point creep. When you state you have 4 points but will "hold out for a great unit in CO when I have more points" - that more than likely aint gonna happen.

For instance, it takes 20 points to draw unit 61 a "great" Colorado unit. 16 years from now, you will have 20 points and thanks to "point creep" it will probably take 32 points (at least) to draw 61. Mathematics say you will never catch it unless you live to be 100.

If you are a Colorado resident, you have a chance at catching one of the great units - but who knows how long that will take. The top tier units creep almost a full point every year.

Just something to think about...

--Mitch

Mitch,
I completely agree, I probably wouldn't hold out 20 years, I would just find a unit that 10 or so points would give me a chance. My Wyoming spot has 300+" bulls so its difficult to want to go anywhere else, and as it stands now, I have a good 97% chance of going there every other year, that sucks bad enough. I would rather hunt every other year in a quality unit than hold out 20 years for something not that much better. That's just me, everyone is entitled to their own preferred way to hunt.
Bolt

Postby Scott69 » 03 01, 2018 •  [Post 7]

I bowhunt unit 49 last year on 4 pts.You could find decent bulls in there without a 10 year wait.I would say it's comparable to my Wyoming elk hunts
I have a good unit picked out for my son this year.He has 4 points and he will have 50/50 odds for the units muzzleloader tag
I hunt Wyoming and Colorado,and throw in a yearly chance at NM.This usually allows me to have a decent elk hunt every year.I want to try Idaho to,and will this year if the draws are bad to me
Scott69

Postby Old school » 03 01, 2018 •  [Post 8]

Sounds like you’ve got a plan Bolt. Good luck and hope you enjoy success in colorado whenever you end up hunting there.

-Mitch
Old school