Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

What, and Where

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

What, and Where

Postby Swede » 03 07, 2018 •  [Post 1]

We have been talking about patience when it comes to taking time to do a cold calling routine. This question has to do with where you set up to call. What do you look for that says "here"? Most of us hike out and start somewhere. What do you look for that makes you decide to put in 45 minutes to an hour at some location?
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: What, and Where

Postby Mathewsz7-elkridge » 03 07, 2018 •  [Post 2]

If you can smell elk or there is a ton of freash sign. Lots of trails leading to the spot your at.
Mathewsz7-elkridge

Postby jmez » 03 07, 2018 •  [Post 3]

Terrain feature that hides my calling position from approaching elk.
jmez

First Name: jason
Last Name: mez

Postby Roosiebull » 03 07, 2018 •  [Post 4]

I don't do many cold calling sets, if i'm calling, it's generally to locate or I know there is a bull there that will be hard to approach. the times I have done it, fresh sign is essential.... or I ain't sittin' around for an hour, I just wouldn't have the confidence without sign.

other game (do lots of cold calling for lions) terrain features are important, and they need to be within good habitat. nothing is ever random
Roosiebull

Postby Swede » 03 08, 2018 •  [Post 5]

Roosie, I like your kitty. Can you post a larger picture for us? You may have posted about it, but can you share with us again how you to met, and got together for the nice photo shoot?

You folks are pointing out some of the things I consider before I sit and wait an hour somewhere calling. I will run & run :D some more, if there is no fresh sign around. This patience is for places where I have reason to believe elk are within hearing distance. I can't always be sure, but I want something to go on. There is a difference between patience and insanity.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Roosiebull » 03 08, 2018 •  [Post 6]

story is in the predator forum :D it went down yesterday afternoon.... 3rd in 3 yrs

if this is any indication of how my 2018 season is going to go, i'm gonna have a fun year..... ;) got the hardest tag out of the way, but I need one more to "tag out" and I will get it.
Roosiebull

Postby Roosiebull » 03 08, 2018 •  [Post 7]

Swede wrote: There is a difference between patience and insanity.

I think this is the key element, differentiating the 2 isn't always easy!
Roosiebull